Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10/100 devices won’t connect

FIXED
AndyHerb
Hooked
Fixes: 1

10/100 devices won’t connect

I’m a new PlusNet customer and I’m hoping someone can help, as it appears there may be a problem with my brand new Fibre Router.
Everything wireless appears to work without issue, however I’m struggling with wired connections, which seems odd!

Any 1Gb kit I have appears to connect fine, however my 10/100 kit never successfully connects - instead I can see from the admin page that there’s a device plugged in, however they never get an IP or show the device and it’s MAC address on the admin page - even if they’re the only device plugged in, and despite which of the four ports I plug them into.

I’m seeing the same problem on two separate 10/100 devices (a PVR and a smart BluRay player) despite trying multiple Ethernet leads and all four ports. I’m of the opinion it’s not a problem with my kit given that it worked with the previous provider’s hub without issue.
5 REPLIES 5
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: 10/100 devices won’t connect

You've not by any chance set these devices up with a fixed IP address? If so your previous router could well have been using a different address range.

Have you gone into the settings on your two errant devices and checked how they are set up? They should either be set to get an IP address automatically or fixed in the range 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.63. Obviously each should be  different.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

AndyHerb
Hooked

Yes - there was definitely a problem with a static IP which was set on one of the devices, however there's also a definite problem mixing 10/100 and 1Gb devices.

I've got a 1Gb switch which is quite happy connecting to the Plusnet router and serving both my laptop and an ASUS WAP, both of which are also 1Gb, but the second a I plug a 10/100 device into the same switch it bombs out and even starts dropping devices off the wireless too Sad

For now, I've 'worked around' it by plugging my three 10/100 devices into ports 2-4 and the 1Gb switch into port 1, but it's far from ideal as I now can't plug in any more 10/100 devices.  I've also renamed the SSID so it's different to the ASUS WAP, so that nothing's connecting directly to the Plusnet router over the WiFi, as that doesn't seem to be too great at the moment unfortunately.

I guess I'll see how things settle down and take it from there.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AndyHerb - This may sound a bit contrived but switch everything off and by I mean powered down, this includes all devices including the router, switch and WAP.

With everything still off plug the devices you want in to the switch.

After a couple of minutes turn on the router and nothing else, wait till it’s online then turn on the switch, followed by the WAP. Once they’re online and settled you can turn on your other devices.

If the problem persists after this ensure there are no other devices using fixed IPs like the WAP for example.

AndyHerb
Hooked

Fix

@Anonymous - looks like you may have been right about timing and reserved IPs. 

I ended up making quite a few changes to get it all working, so I'm not 100% certain whether it was a combination, timing, or the last one I tried, but we're working now with 10/100 devices connected through a 1Gb switch and into a single port on the Plusnet router.  Here's a breakdown of the changes I made in case it's useful for someone else:

1. Changed the DHCP allocation to start from 192.168.x.1 instead of 192.168.x.64 as was the default
  2. Unplugged every wired device
  3. Renamed the SSIS on the Plusnet router so it was different to my second WAP (I'd previously made them the same to allow devices to 'roam' around the house)
  4. Plugged my second WAP into the wired port
  5. Removed the Static IP from one of my 10/100 devices
  6. Set Static IPs via the Plusnet DHCP instead of individual devices
  7. Left the 10/100 devices unplugged for a day
  8. Plugged everything back up slowly Wink

Andy

Anonymous
Not applicable

A long way for a shortcut @AndyHerb, quite a circuitous route, but it's working and that's the important thing.