cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

waiting a long time for very simple upgrade

KM-J

waiting a long time for very simple upgrade

Hello,

I asked for an upgrade to my service on 30 November to move from a capped data allowance adsl subscription to an unlimited subscription.  It looks like Plusnet are not going to upgrade my service until the next billing period, but meanwhile I have to keep paying extra to increase my data allowance - it looks like I have paid and extra 5 times to increase my allowance since I requested the upgrade.  To be clear, the upgrade is only to remove the cap, I am not moving to fibre, I am still using the Plusnet supplied very ancient Thompson 585 router which provides a very poor wifi signal in my bungalow (signal is poor in the next room, two rooms away is barely usable), no engineers are going to visit, no new equipment is to be installed, I am not moving from a different supplier, it is all just about removing the data cap.  I am happy to move my billing date forward, and have told Plusnet via responding to a ticket and by opening a new ticket, but no responses from them at all.  Nothing.  What can I do apart from moving provider, I am going to end up probably paying the equivalent of extra months subscriptions, because it is taking them so long to upgrade my service and because my usage has increased.  What other providers have a quick installation time that are reliable?

thanks,

KJ

6 REPLIES 6
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: waiting a long time for very simple upgrade

In view of your dissatisfaction with your router, why not fork out for new one? Plenty of O/Reach models on E bay, and can be configured to work on PN.
I've recently given up on ADSL as O/R were unable to sort persistent low speed/disconnects; as I use '3' for mobile I noticed a relevant offer on their www for existing customers, of a 3G/4G package. At £17pm for unlimited data & free modem I should have swopped before. Now getting 26 down/4 up, so well pleased.
KM-J

Thanks Gel, I may upgrade the modem/router, but first need to decide whether I am going to leave PlusNet.  I still haven't had any response to my tickets that I lodged with them.  By now I have paid almost three months subscriptions in extra charges in the last two weeks because my usage has increased and keeps breaching the broadband allowance.  I knew my usage was going to increase, and that is why I asked to move onto a different plan.  I had expected it to be sorted within hours at the most.  This just seems to be profiteering to me - I requested and agreed an upgrade, no site visits or physical/installation work needs doing, I am sure, just an update on PlusNet systems and maybe a router reboot at my end.  The very poor wifi is a secondary issue (but again, with the price I have paid in allowance top-ups I could have bought a new router.  PlusNet advertises that they have great customer services, but I am not seeing that .... 

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey @KM-J, thanks for getting in touch here. 

I'm sorry to read you've had some trouble with your data usage and the go live date of the new package, we're unable to speed this I'm afraid, however, I've popped some more info on this ticket for you in regards to this. 

Ta. 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 394

@Mads I thought PlusNet weren't charging for excess usage on legacy capped products during the current pandemic situation.

I quote from the Covid 19 update at the top of every forum page...

It's OK. Our current broadband packages come with unlimited usage, so being online more isn't a problem. If you've got one of our older broadband plans with capped usage, we'll make sure you don't get charged for any additional data usage during this time.

and

Don't worry, any email or SMS you'll have received to alert you is automated. We'll make sure you don't get charged any extra during this time.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Must have my Friday head on, that's correct, all additional charges that get piled up would be waived due to Covid on the next invoice. 

Thanks. 

KM-J

I do have a capped 'legacy' broadband package, and have received an email every time the cap has been exceeded saying that  I am being charged £5 for an extra 5GB.  As I said earlier I have received so many of these emails that I have spent several months subscriptions in these extra fees.  So, if these extra fees are going to be waived, it will be a big relief, and I'll stop looking at moving to another provider.

many thanks