Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unlimited broadband only

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: unlimited broadband only

For clarity we'll only charge you a maximum of £65 should the result of the fault investigation be within your remit as explained in that engineer charging statement.

If for example it takes us 3 engineers, the first two advise no fault has been found and the 3rd rectifies a fault on the outside line not caused by you then we won't charge you at all.

We robustly defend all engineer charges and will only pass on to you £65 of the charge we receive if absolutely valid, within 3 months following the fault investigation closing. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
crimsom
Rising Star

PlusNet Customer Support's email says run a BTW speed test. Laptop connected to the PlusNet router using an Ethernet cable and connected to 36Mbps Fibre broadband. 

Today's BTW Diagnostic result says my download speed has a fault, as depicted by the appearance of a download red bar that says 10Mbps max achievable speed. Kind regards. 

BTW Diagnostic resultBTW Diagnostic result

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Have you replied to your ticket your availability for an engineer to visit to investigate further?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

As its been a while, I am guessing Openreach have been out, replaced the master socket with a vdsl filtered one and all is now working as it should ?

Or, the prospect of a £65 fee - even if only charged if it's the OP's fault - has prooved a bit too much of a risk?

crimsom
Rising Star

Hello @Mustrum, thank you for your taunting observations. 

FYI, at the start of February 2020, our existing master NTE5c Mk2 & VDSL Frontplate Mk4, combined unit has had its frontplate removed so that the PlusNet Hub One is plugged directly into the single master socket using the PlusNet supplied ADSL filter. Our telephone wiring is not plugged into the ADSL filter. Thus we are only using the broadband line to our house and there are no other devices when the laptop is plugged into the back of the PlusNet Hub One. 

Our VDSL broadband line is capable of delivering an actual stable 44Mbps. We are just over one month into the PlusNet Fibre only package. Our broadband line was previously used by TalkTalk who do not use the Dynamic Line Management (DLM) system. 

Although Openreach recently found two line faults, Storm Ciara's passage has not changed the incoming overhead broadband line's transmission attributes declared in the BT Broadband Availability Checker

We are currently seeing what the BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test results give for a couple of weeks. The BTW Diagnostic results consistently say DLM is delivering an actual download speed less than the Fibre Minimum Guaranteed Speed of 24.9Mbps and an upload speed of 10Mbps. 

Kind regards. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

To my knowledge we've not arranged a broadband engineer which I'd personally recommend we do as this type of problem is unlikely to fix itself although I'll be happy to be wrong. It's also worth noting that on fibre all providers use DLM as this is Openreach equipment at the DSLAM in the cabinet. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@crimsom  appologies of you find my postings taunting - but you clearly are not getting the best speeds, my only thoughts are to help you get them.

I do admit, your replies do not follow the same logic or understanding I conclude, as example - you quote two VDSL master sockets - Mk 2 and Mk4 - not sure what you mean,but you should olu have one.

@Gandalf  has offered more than once to help get an opnreach broadband engineer to investigate, yet you do not seem to have followed up. I understand the suposssed threat of a £65 charge, but is that what is stopping your investigation?

crimsom
Rising Star

Hello @Mustrum, your earlier declared logic and/or understanding are seemingly not aware of the Openreach rollout of their linebox NTE5c Mk2. Click Here for [PDF] Linebox NTE5C User instructions - Openreach

(1) Look towards the top right of the first page where Openreach says: "Mark 2 socket with clear IDC connector". Please note that this has only one master socket. 

(2) Look on the top of the second page where Openreach says: "The Mk4 VDSL filter front cover fits on to the NTE5C back plate". The Mk4 front cover has been updated with clear IDC connector.

Please note that message #125 says: "combined unit has had its frontplate removed so that the PlusNet Hub One is plugged directly into the single master socket using the PlusNet supplied ADSL filter"

Kind regards. 

crimsom
Rising Star

Hello @Gandalf today's BTW Diagnostic result images attached. The PlusNet Fibre Broadband DLM speed has reverted to 10Mbps again. The BTW Diagnostic then says Test Error followed by Tap3 Test Configuration cannot be completed. What does this signify? Kind regards. 

20200314-1 BTW Diagnostic result20200314-1 BTW Diagnostic result     20200314-2 BTW Diagnostic result20200314-2 BTW Diagnostic result     20200314-3 BTW Diagnostic result20200314-3 BTW Diagnostic result

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi crimsom, 

Don't worry about the TAP3 test as that's known to be problematic. Line tests are showing a speed profile of around 25mbps at present so we'd still need to look at booking an engineer visit if the same issue is persisting for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
crimsom
Rising Star

Hello @adamwalker my order for PlusNet Fibre Broadband (no phone) was accepted and access was granted in December 2019. We had to arrange to leave our cable ISP and started to use PlusNet Fibre at the start of January 2020. 

Adamwalker says PlusNet wants to book a third Openreach engineer to determine why there is a persistent slow broadband  speed fault on our BT line.

The Openreach insight video is a chat with a good Openreach engineer working at a local green street cabinet. A good Openreach engineer will take the time to explain to customers what is happening, but a bad engineer will just do what's on their ticket and disappear, which can be frustrating to say the least!

My PlusNet order was placed at the end of November 2019 and an Openreach engineer visited the manhole in our street to fix a high resistance fault on our telephone line that we were unaware of. However, this fault will slow down the broadband speed to our house. The Openreach engineer had already decided that they would not visit and check the BT LJ2 /1A master socket in our house, and just disappeared. 

The PlusNet Fibre speed of 19Mbps is not matching the advertised 35Mbps. So BT were asked to check our line. BT booked an Openreach engineer visit, but having visited the telephone pole outside our house, they went to the manhole in our street and then just disappeared. So we asked BT to find out what Openreach found. Evidently, they fixed the same high resistance fault. BT then did a diagnostic and we were told that our telephone line has no faults. 

So, two Openreach engineers have been booked and seemingly fixed the same high resistance fault. 

The slow broadband speed fault persists and now PlusNet wants me to pay £65.00 to book a third Openreach engineer. For all we know, this would be to fix the same high resistance fault that has been fixed two times already. 

This is when all faith in being visited by a good Openreach engineer reaches an all-time low. I hope that PlusNet can understand our reluctance to pay to be visited by a third bad Openreach engineer. 

crimsom
Rising Star

We have been using PlusNet Fibre broadband for 79 days and the slow speed fault persists.

Our VDSL broadband availability from the local green street cabinet has been revisited. 

Our VDSL AvailabilityOur VDSL Availability

The BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test has been completed.

BTW Diagnostic resultBTW Diagnostic result

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @crimsom While I apologise for any poor experience you’ve had with Openreach, we’ve not arranged 1 broadband engineer yet. The previous engineers would have been arranged to look at your phone line specifically rather than broadband. If we arrange a broadband engineer, the fault isn’t fixed and remains then we have the option of escalating this before we book another broadband engineer to investigate further. 

I understand you’re concerned about the possibility of the engineer charge however short of repeating what I’ve already said, could you advise in particular what concerns you have?

I’d be happy to do what I can to alleviate those. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
crimsom
Rising Star

Hello @Gandalf thank you for your message. There is no requirement for you to apologise on behalf of the Openreach engineers. 

A BTW test has been conducted today. The image of the master socket shows:-
a) The incoming black overhead line from the nearby pole in the street outside. There are no intermediate connectiions between the street pole and the master socket.
b) The incoming line is connected to the LJ2 /1A master socket inside our house.
c) The PlusNet ADSL Filter is plugged into the master socket.
d) The PlusNet Hub One is plugged into the Filter.
e) A single telephone is plugged into the Filter (but unplugged during BTW test).
f) The small white box is the now redundant housing for internal wiring to slave phone sockets. It could have been removed from the image, but it is included because it has been mentioned in earlier messages.

This time, a different Laptop was deployed and used the Ethernet connection from the PlusNet Hub One. The Hub One is connected to the filter, which is plugged into the LJ2 /1A master socket. The telephone connection to the filter is removed. The BTW test is then undertaken and the result is a download speed of 20Mbps.

These BTW test results are similar to those in message #132, we therefore claim that our two laptops are not the problem.

There is no visible damage and I am not responsible for the PlusNet supplied equipment, or the incoming Openreach overhead line, or the Telecoms LJ2 /1A master socket and will not agree to pay PlusNet if these are the root problem of the slow speed fault.

We conclude that the slow speed fault should be attributed to the Dynamic Line Management (DLM) system. Kind regards.

Telecoms LJ2 /1A master socketTelecoms LJ2 /1A master socket   20200324 BTW Diagnostic test result20200324 BTW Diagnostic test result

crimsom
Rising Star

Hello @Gandalf thank you for your message. There is no requirement for you to apologise on behalf of the Openreach engineers. 

A BTW test has been conducted today. The image of the master socket shows:-
a) The incoming black overhead line from the nearby pole in the street outside. There are no intermediate connectiions between the street pole and the master socket.
b) The incoming line is connected to the LJ2 /1A master socket inside our house.
c) The PlusNet ADSL Filter is plugged into the master socket.
d) The PlusNet Hub One is plugged into the Filter.
e) A single telephone is plugged into the Filter (but unplugged during BTW test).
f) The small white box is the now redundant housing for internal wiring to slave phone sockets. It could have been removed from the image, but it is included because it has been mentioned in earlier messages.

This time, a different Laptop was deployed and used the Ethernet connection from the PlusNet Hub One. The Hub One is connected to the filter, which is plugged into the LJ2 /1A master socket. The telephone connection to the filter is removed. The BTW test is then undertaken and the result is a download speed of 20Mbps.

These BTW test results are similar to those in message #132, we therefore claim that our two laptops are not the problem.

There is no visible damage and I am not responsible for the PlusNet supplied equipment, or the incoming Openreach overhead line, or the Telecoms LJ2 /1A master socket and will not agree to pay PlusNet if these are the root problem of the slow speed fault.

We conclude that the slow speed fault should be attributed to the Dynamic Line Management (DLM) system. Kind regards. 

Telecoms LJ2 /1A master socketTelecoms LJ2 /1A master socket20200324 BTW Diagnostic result20200324 BTW Diagnostic result