cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unlimited broadband only

crimsom
Rising Star

Re: unlimited broadband only

Hello @Gandalf thank you for providing the extra information. Unfortunately this additional throughput speed information did not give solace. When words do not convey, provide a diagram. Guess that this is the VDSL Network being debated: where the ISP's broadband Remote Access Server (bRAS) is also known as the ISP's Broadband Network Gateway (BNG) to the internet. 

VDSL NetworkVDSL Network

It would appear that there are two scenarios. 

(1) When router is in sync at 36.262Mbps and bRAS is at 96% the actual speed will be 35Mbps. 

(2) When router is in sync at 40Mbps and bRAS is at 96% the IP Profile will be at 38Mbps. 

However, Is scenario (1) or (2) or a hybrid being discussed? (Struggle to put post #89 into context with the BTW diagnostic result.) 

Kind regards. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Your router is in sync at 40mbps and the bRAS profile is at 36mbps because there's high retransmission enabled on your line. When that happens the bRAS is 90% of your sync speed. 

You'll never get an actual download speed of exactly your bRAS profile, it'll always be a few mbps underneath it. Sorry I can't tell you exactly by how much, it'd be impossible to as there are so many factors that can affect throughput.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
crimsom
Rising Star

Hello @Gandalf thank you for saying that high retransmission is enabled on my line. "Retransmission Circuit BT" is discussed Here. Evidently PlusNet Hub Ones are similar to BT Smart Hubs which are reported to have firmware compatibility problems with G.INP (retransmission).

A visit to my Hub One reveals it has Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263, Last updated Unknown. A search of the Help A-Z menu did not find how to update firmware. A search for the latest Hub One firmware version failed, but found "How do I update my hub one firmware?" Here.

The answer to the question appears to be to ask the Plusnet Help Team for the firmware update to be pushed. 

I hope that my Hub One's apparent incompatibility with G.INP (retransmission) can be fixed with a firmware update.

Thank you in anticipation.  Kind regards. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us @crimsom 

I can confirm you're on the latest firmware. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
crimsom
Rising Star

Hello @Gandalf thank you for confirming that the PlusNet Hub One's firmware is the latest. There was no clarification that this firmware version is compatible with G.INP (retransmission). 

Would it be possible to reveal the BT Smarthub version identity that exists within the PlusNet Hub One wrapper? 

Its label says it is a Sagemcom Serial number: +081441 +NQ92874432.

Thank you in anticipation. Kind regards. 

Sagemcom labelSagemcom label 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'm aware of no incompatibilities between our router and G.INP.

The Hub One is based on the BT Homehub 5 Type A.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

That should read BT Home Hub 5 Type A (HH5A).

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Cheers, I've edited my post now

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
crimsom
Rising Star

Hello @Gandalf the BT Smart Hub was formerly known as BT Home Hub.

Evidently BT Smart Hub 6 (Type A) exists, see Here

Kind regards. 

Mustrum
Community Veteran

@crimsom  The BT Smart Hub superceded the BT Homehub - it is a different device and there are differing versions.

141Ian
Grafter

@Mustrum

Just to add the HH5 and HH6 are basically the same apart from the HH6 has 7 antenas for a better / stronger wifi signal.

But its odd how this thread has turned from a debate into what hubs are what form slow download speeds,

Is this thread a crisis or a drama.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

@141Ian  its a drama for sure, but hopefully an education for the OP!!

They seem to like to confuse things, and come to strange conclusions or is it assumptions?

141Ian
Grafter

@Mustrum confused  conclusions and assumptions due to too much irrelevant unrelated information to the issue gained from other forums and the internet.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

There's nothing wrong with asking questions and trying to gain more insight and understanding in my personal opinion. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mustrum
Community Veteran

@Gandalf  agreed.

Sometimes the interweb and all it's information can be confusing and lead people to conclude the wrong things.

As an example the HH5 and Superhub may look the same, as do earlier HH, but the internal specs are quite different. Up to the HH4 they were ADSL2 only, the HH% came in two versions A and B. The 6 or as BT called it the Superhub came with improved (claimed) WiFi capabilities,

The community and it's members is one of the best support facilities of any ISP, but I beleive it is important that the advice and knowledge should be accurate.

HTH