cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unlimited broadband only

crimsom
Rising Star

Re: unlimited broadband only

Hello @Gandalf the max VDSL speed range was taken from the BT Broadband Availability Checker using my telephone number with Hub plugged into master test socket and Laptop plugged into Hub. The max VDSL speed result is included within message 47 of this thread.

@ We do not have a VDSL filtered faceplate on the master socket, which has a single socket, does not have or accept a faceplate and predates the NTE5a master socket. The household extension plug is removed from the in-line filter when testing. This is a real world reality limitation. Thank you for your understanding. 

Hope this helps. Kind regards. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Pretty sure when I checked today your estimates were 32mbps 45mbps, if you saw higher previously then the expectations of your line have since dropped. With regards to your very slow download speed I think we ought to be focusing on this rather than the banding of 35mbps.

Are you able to run another test with your laptop plugged directly into the router with no other devices connected? I'd then run another test on a different device to compare. 

If your speeds don't improve then I'd recommend we arrange a broadband engineer to investigate further. The issue may possibly be caused by the star wiring setup it looks like you've got.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
crimsom
Rising Star

Hello @Gandalf, pay no attention to the @Mustrum curveball rumour. Kind regards.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Not sure what you're referring to specifically? I'm asking about the speed test you've done showing your download speed at 0.05mbps. That concerns me and won't be fixed by a reset. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@crimsom  Removing the extensions for testing is only masking your issues and is not helping your issues. And does not answer or adress the issue - you need a filter at all times as the first connection to the master socket - a VDSL filtered socket is preferred.

You then ignored my advice to start quoting sunc and max attainable speeds - which will give a more consistant view of any issues that may, or may not exhist. 

Edit - @crimsom  curveball. please do explain ?Huh

crimsom
Rising Star

Hello @Gandalf specifically? The speed test connections on my side of the master socket are optimised as declared in my earlier post clarifications. Guess that you are saying that speed tests conducted during the 3 day DLM profile reset process are valid, but at the bottom of page 1 within the BTW Performance Tests, it says that they are not. Is your prediction that we are now stuck on the recent test that says 0.05Mbps correct? Please explain the difference of opinion and which is accurate. Thank you.  

Hello @Mustrum we filter at all times by using in-line filters. You requested the use of the curveball idiom Here.

"To introduce a problem piece of information that shocks, bewilders, or confounds one or makes it more difficult for one to succeed. An allusion to baseball, in which a curveball is a pitch that arcs toward the batter in order to be more difficult to hit. Primarily heard in US."

Kind regards. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

The normal DLM training period isn't going to cause your speeds to go down to 0.05mbps. It may cause slight fluctuation and a few drops but not to the painfully slow level you've shown.

Have you carried out the steps in my post #77?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
141Ian
Grafter

Hi @Mustrum 

I find it ironic that you give good advice too @crimsom which he in turn rates your good advice as "curveball rumour".

When incidently he has been commenting on other peoples threads who are having speed issues throwing in his own "curveball rumour" and tagging Plusnet Staff with his own "curveball rumour" creating confusion to the context of the thread with something that is in his head and his head only.

His style of posting on other peoples threads is to make himself look like he is part of the Plusnet / Forum support team. Highlighted by the context of the way he writes his posts...

Its so ironic he has imaginary problems with other peoples wiring but is overlooking his own. Or perhaps he does not quite know as much as he thinks he does.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@crimsom  why are you hiding?

You came on this publc forum for help with your broadband problems, yet you ignore and divert information from the simplemst of questions.

We and the community are here to help, but only if you are willing to be helped?Huh

crimsom
Rising Star

Hello @Gandalf your post #77 includes asking to use a different device, but we only have just the one laptop. Our other laptops and the workstation do not function. The workstation's new PSU is awaiting installation. 

Page 1 of the BTW Performance Test says "It can take up to 10 days from set-up of a new service or following a DLM Reset for your broadband line to train up to its full speed. Do bear in mind that any speed test during this period may not reflect the true long-term speed of your Broadband.

Today's BTW Diagnostic result says my broadband speeds have increased, see image. The full DLM Reset has not completed, so I hope that there will be further increases. Perhaps deliver the elusive 36Mbps download speed for fibre broadband. 

Thanks for your help. Kind regards. 

BTW Diagnostic resultBTW Diagnostic result

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

From what I can see your service has been up for longer than 10 days so you're no longer within that training period and the DLM reset won't have been actioned yet as I've only just added you to the tracker yesterday. They're submitted to our suppliers in bulk at the end of the working day and actioned within 3 working days. 

The latest speed test you've done is looking a lot better now though. Again I'd disregard the average speed of 36mbps, this is irrelevant when it comes to a fault. Please go by the estimates of your line and the minimum guaranteed speed. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
crimsom
Rising Star

Hello @Gandalf thank you for post #77 within which the term banding is used. On 27/01/2020 at 14:08, BT Residential Services say: have checked your line today and there is no fault on your line. 

The BT community reveals: A banded broadband speed profile only happens when having connection stability problems and is imposed automatically. The open slow speed Fault says your sync speed is artificially restricted to 35Mbps

The DLM system is unique to BT and PlusNet, and DLM continuously checks for line stability conditions. My actual speed will always be less than the sync speed because the DLM system takes a 4Mbps overhead. 

To get the actual speed of 36Mbps, my sync speed must be artificially restricted to more than 40Mbps. This is realistic because my line has a max VDSL download sync speed of 44Mbps. 

Do not understand the reluctance to arrange for my fibre package download speed to deliver the advertised 36Mbps. Kind regards.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @crimsom I'm fairly certain when I checked yesterday your sync speed was at 40mbps which means the banding has been removed. Can you retest your speed please?

[edit]

You can't get more than 40mbps sync speed on the 40/10 product, it's simply not possible. 

If you want a higher speed then you'll need to upgrade to the 80/20 product i.e. Unlimited Fibre Extra, however there is no guarantee you'd get higer because you are currently within the estimates/expectations of your line.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
crimsom
Rising Star

Hello @Gandalf thank you for your continuing participation and assistance. Thank you for checking yesterday that my banding has been removed - that is very good news. I did ask the CSC Analyst Team if my download sync speed restriction could be artificially increased to 40Mbps.

As requested, I have undertaken an optimised speed test. The BTW diagnostic result (see insert) says Download Speed 31.99Mbps, Max Achievable Speed / IP Profile for your line is 35.21Mbps. So the sync speed of 40Mbps, giving an actual speed of 36Mbps, continues to be elusive.

BTW Diagnostic resultBTW Diagnostic result

My post #85 BTW diagnostic result on 25 January says, IP Profile for your line is 36.85Mbps. The BT community speculate in their posts that the DLM system is not as reliable as BT says it is. So the Jury is out on that debate. 

Thank you for revealing that it is not possible to get a sync speed of more than 40Mbps on the Fibre 40/10 product. When PlusNet checked what products it could offer, we were automatically excluded from getting the Fibre Extra 80/20 product. Our local telephone exchange is nearby, but in dire need of a modern equipment upgrade.

Kind regards.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us @crimsom 

I think that the average speed of 36mps for your package is stifling the progress of the fault, because that's in no way related to the performance of your individual line. It's an average across across everyone on the Unlimited Fibre package.

Your router is in sync at 39998 kbps, the banding on your line is at: Downstream: 0.128M-40M with Retransmission (High). Upstream: 0.128M-10M with no error protection and your current bRAS/IP profile is 36262 kbps.

The bRAS/IP profile is 96% of your sync speed unless DLM enabled transmission then it's around 90%, so the IP profile is correct for your sync speed and in turn your throughput of 32mbps is about right for that.

I hope this helps clarify things Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet