cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unlimited broadband only

crimsom
Rising Star

Re: unlimited broadband only

Hello @Gandalf we have raised a fault and used the stipulated http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/ to undertake a performance test. But cannot update BTW speed test results in ticket at https://www.plus.net/wizard/  because the ticket does not exist and there is the recently opened single question. 

20200117 BTW Results20200117 BTW Results      20200117 BTW Diagnostics20200117 BTW Diagnostics

The BTW Diagnostics say that IP Profile for your line is 10 Mbps. It seems that the incorrect profile persists on the Open Reach network and thereby continues to dictate a slow broardband fibre speed. However these BTW Diagnostics also say "We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time."

Human intervention advocated. Kind regards. 

crimsom
Rising Star

Not sure where our local exchange is or if it has old underperforming equipment. I do know where our antiquated local cabinet is and that Open Reach currently do not propose to roll out ultra fast broadband. The exchange equipment sets the IP Profile based on your line rate (speed). Evidently it takes about three days for your Open Reach IP Profile to acknowledge the best speed with maximum stabliity. An Open Reach engineer has already found and fixed one fault on our line. Our PlusNet broadband became active on 01 January 2020, so we have now had this slow broadband speed for more than 14 days. It makes you wonder if there are more faults on our antiquated Open Reach network, that the automated equipment in our local exchange cannot resolve because our line rate (speed) may have wide fluctuations. Kind regards. 

20200117 Your broadband service20200117 Your broadband service

crimsom
Rising Star

Hello @Gandalf we have been with PlusNet less than a month. This morning we raised our first PlusNet slow speed Fault.

PlusNet Customer Support sends email, that turns out to be, but does not say that it is a No Reply email. Support asks Customer to update speed test results in Ticket https://www.plus.net/wizard/. But this Dashboard only has one Question and no Ticket. Attempt to update Question log with text and jpg attachments, but system says attached files have virus. Windows 10 Defender says jpg files have no threats. 

Searched for, but did not find PlusNet help on how Customer interacts with Fault Ticket or Question log.

Our OpenReach IP Profile is 10 Mbps. The PlusNet IP Profile on our account may want another refresh. However, if our OpenReach continues to be unintentionally stuck, perhaps the exchange's diagnostic equipment should be swapped out. 

Customer waiting for Support interaction. Kind regards. 

crimsom
Rising Star

Another BTW performance test has been conducted and diagnostics say IP Profile for your line is 30.88 Mbps. The actual download speed is 9.55 Mbps. This is different to the previous BTW test in that it says "Please contact your ISP for further assistance with these results." The PlusNet broadband fibre package says the Minimum Guaranteed Speed is 24.9 Mbps. 

20200118 BTW Test pg220200118 BTW Test pg2

The PlustNet slow speed Fault team has replied to your Question by saying "I have tested your line today and have identified a problem with your phone line." Evidently this team will not ask Open Reach to conduct further tests or resolve the issue for us. There was no offer of compensation for providing the PlusNet slow speed. Kind regards. 

crimsom
Rising Star

Very pleased with our alternative telephone line provider who live up to their advertied pledge to keep their customers happy. The line fault has been confirmed and it is external to our property. This fault has been reported to the external fault repair team. There was no adverse comment about getting PlusNet broadband instead of their broadband. Kind regards. 

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@crimsom  You may not realise that if your phone line rental is not with Plusnet they are not able to deal with any phone faults which may be the reason for your poor speeds, so even if Plusnet have identified a phone line fault, they cannot raise a fault with openreach, it has to be done through your phone line provider, you don't have an alternative phone line provider. This is a lesson in the benefits of having phone and broadband from the same provider.😁

crimsom
Rising Star

Research has revealed that the distance from our local telephone exchange is 0.7 miles. The closer we are to the local exchange, the faster the broadband speed will be. A "close exchange" is considered to be up to 4 miles away. We are therefore not expecting to have a slow speed broadband connection. 

Thanks to @MatthewWheeler for removal of the Dynamic Line Management (DLM) software's broadband speed restriction Here for a PlusNet Customer. Kind regards. 

crimsom
Rising Star

Hello @Gandalf your post over two weeks ago said to get in touch to let you know how it goes. So here goes. 

There is an open slow speed fault on my PlusNet account. The BTW diagnostics have persistently reported that my download IP Profile is stuck on 30Mbps with my download speed stuck on 26Mbps. If PlusNet Fibre is going to give the promised actual download speed of 36Mbps, the IP Profile should be 40Mbps. The ADSL checker says my line is set-up to support a max VDSL download speed of 44 to 46Mbps.

(1) Please conduct and post the results of a Generic Ethernet Access (GEA) service test to see if a fault is reported.

(2) Then, please reset the line speed management software so that my download IP Profile is renegotiated to become 40Mbps.

Thank you in anticipation. Kind regards. 

crimsom
Rising Star

Hello @Gandalf have I been included in PlusNet's list to conduct a full Dynamic Line Management (DLM) profile reset? Update of Fault BT reference VOL013-452689554428 confirms Open Reach has found and repaired the corroded line joint in my network and ran a series of line tests which show that this line is working. I look forward to my broadband speed having a download IP Profile of 40Mbps. Please confirm instigation of the full DLM profile reset. Thank you in anticipation. Kind regards.

crimsom
Rising Star

BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test

Broadband Test Results

(1) Download Speed (Mbps): 0.05

.    Downstream Rate IP Profile for your line is - 28.6 Mbps

(2) Upload Speed (Mbps) : 3.43

.    Upstream Rate IP Profile for your line is - 10 Mbps

(3) Ping Latency (ms): 368

This test was not conclusive and further testing is required. 

This might be useful for your Line or Broadband Service Provider to investigate the fault. 

BTW Speed resultBTW Speed result     BTW Diagnostic resultBTW Diagnostic result

crimsom
Rising Star

Hello PlusNet Help Team, we are a new PlusNet customer who has paid £67.49 for the first month and have been connected to broadband Fibre for only 24 days. We paid again on the 20 January 2020, despite not being connected for a first full month.

We do not have any of these problems with our Virgin Media's unlimited broadband only. Unfortunately, Virgin Media are billing their existing customers more than double for a year's entry level annual broadband service. 

This seemingly never ending PlusNet dialogue is most frustrating.

Now, the current very slow PlusNet broadband fibre speed is making online payment of other bills almost impossible. 

Why is our PlusNet broadband service problematic? 

Are we just lucky? Kind regards. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us @crimsom 

I'm sorry for the delayed response and to see you're still experiencing speed problems. While I can see your sync speed is artificially restricted to 35mbps and I've added this to the tracker for a DLM reset, the tests aren't showing any other issues and you seem to be getting a download speed a lot slower than this.

When you completed the speed test was that on a computer connecting over WiFi to your router or direct using an ethernet cable? That should help us narrow down where the issue may lie.

It's also worth noting that the expectations of your line are between 32.4mbps and 45.9mbps so there's no guarantee you'd see a higher sync speed than 35mbps once your line has been reset within the next 3 working days.

Let us know how your computer is connecting to the router and we'll go from there to try to get to the bottom of this.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
crimsom
Rising Star

Hello @Gandalf thank you for your continuing participation. 

On 23/01/2020 at 10:01, the line provider Residential Services' email said the fault is fixed and my line is working. My line performance then dramatically reduced on 23/01/2020 at about 10:01. Do you believe in coincidences? 

Have now visited my open slow speed Fault ticket to see that the requested Generic Ethernet Access (GEA) service test result says Downstream Retransmission (High) and Upstream Error Protection Off. This fault was added to the DLM reset tracker.

The requested full DLM profile reset is underway and will take about 3 days to complete. My BTW performance tests during the DLM reset period may not reflect the true long-term speed of my broadband service.

Research reveals my actual speed will always be less than the sync speed because the DLM software consumes 4Mbps. To get the actual speed of 36Mbps, my sync speed must be set at (36+4=) 40Mbps.

I am now constrained to wait 3 days for the full DLM profile reset to complete and to see if my actual speed becomes 36Mbps.

Kind regards.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

No problem, again the 36mbps we've mentioned is an average speed for the Unlimited Fibre package. It has no bearing on your line capability and how we deal with a fault, your line's estimates is between 32.4mbps and 45.9mbps.

I realise above you've said your estimates are 44 to 46Mbps, would you be able to advise where you've seen this? If it was on the BT Broadband Availability Checker at http://dslchecker.bt.com were you searching using your landline number?

Although either way your line speed is banded and you should hopefully see an increase in speed once your line is reset. Smiley

Finally the actual speed test results you've given above don't tally up as they're much lower than even 35mbps again was this wireless or wired?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@crimsom  you seem to be making this very much harder for yourself than it should be - a seperate phone and broadband provider does not help.

From reading your lengthy post which seems to meandre from your issues to those of the rest of the world, I have a few suggestions for you. 

You seem to have come from a Virgin media service, which is delivered in a very different way to that delivered over telephone wires. To get the best speeds you should have a VDSL filtered Master Socket and your router should be plugged into the master socket. Your earlier diagram suggests that your extensions and router are all connected via some kind of star wiring arrangment. If VDSL signals are transmitted to those extensions,then your overall speeds will be compromised.

Speed tests can be influenced by many things, your posts are inconsistant which could be due to many things, not least the device and application you are using. Logging into the router and posting sync and max attainable speeds will be more consistant - doing so with no other extensions in the master socket and applications running on your laptop.PC connected via ethernet will help even more so.

To get some consistancy, a view of the results of your DSL Checker and the Gea results will help give you guidance from the more experience member of the community.

HTH

Edit bit slow in typing, @Gandalf  beat me to it asking some of the questions..