cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unlimited broadband only

crimsom
Rising Star

Re: unlimited broadband only

Hello @Gandalf PlusNet Support sent an email on 26 December 2019 saying: Now that your Unlimited Fibre (without phone) has been up and running for 14 days, we wanted to let you know your line speed as it stands today, as a comparison.

Estimated peak time speeds: Download 29 - 40 Mbps, Upload 4 - 7 Mbps (These are the speeds your line is capable of at peak times.) 

Current line speed: 37.0 Mbps (This is a measure of the actual line speed you are now receiving based on the product you have taken.) 

Minimum Guaranteed Speed: 24.9 Mbps (This is the minimum speed you should expect to achieve on your line.) 

---------------------------------

My Wireless check says:- 

PlusNet Hub Manager says that devices are currently connected to 5 GHz wireless network (only) 

Laptop wireless network connection status to PlusNet Hub says speed is 585.0 Mbps 

PlusNet Hub connection (via BT phone, Open Reach line) to Internet: SpeedTest.net says Ping 22 ms, Download 10.20 Mbps, Upload 2.80 Mbps. 

My Ethernet check using SpeedTest.net, also says Ping 22 ms, Download 10.20 Mbps, Upload 2.80 Mbps. 

---------------------------------

My actual PlusNet line download speed of 10 Mbps is less than the Minimum Guaranteed Speed of 24.9 Mbps for my Unlimited Fibre package. 

The Open Reach engineer told me on 11 December 2019 that he had found and removed the fault on my phone line. My previous TalkTalk Unlimited Fibre download speed was typically 35 Mbps. 

What has gone wrong? Kind regards. 

crimsom
Rising Star

Today, the Broadband Availability Checker says my local box should give my line a download speed of between 27.4 to 45.9 Mbps. 

My "Downstream Handback Threshold" is 20.7 Mbps. Which is to say that if my download speed is less than this value, the ISP is obliged to consider the service as not acceptable and allow an order to be reversed without charge. 

Broadband Availability CheckerBroadband Availability Checker

My preference is to be given the PlusNet Support's declared actual line speed of 37 Mbps. Kind regards. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us @crimsom I'm sorry to see you're experiencing speed problems.

Our tests aren't showing any definitive causes for this so if you've tried carrying out the steps Here to rule out any issues with your internal wiring I'd recommend raising a fault to us Here so we can arrange an engineer visit to investigate further.

Moderators Note: Link corrected.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
crimsom
Rising Star

Hello @Gandalf thank you for your quick response. 

Your first Here is a link which goes nowhere. A PlusNet search on "internal wiring" found your Changing Phoneline post dated 31-07-2019 1:44PM with a link to Here that goes to PlusNet Library's "Testing from the Master Socket". Hopefully this is the advocated check to rule out any issues with internal telephone wiring.

We do not have a modern Open Reach detachable faceplate master socket. Our master socket is a normal looking telephone socket with its external plug hardwired into the adjacent phone distribution box, with cables going to the other standard telephone sockets in the house. When our ISP was TalkTalk, the broadband download speed was typically 35 Mbps from any telephone socket in the house. 

As it is now very late in the evening, our check will be undertaken tomorrow. Kind regards. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @crimsom thanks for getting back to me. Sorry about that link, not sure what happened there. Undecided

You’ve found the right link I was referring to. Based on what you’ve said if you don’t have a detachable faceplate on your master socket, there may not be much more troubleshooting you can do. Having said that before we jump to arrange an engineer would you be able to post up a photo showing your setup and master socket?

Happy to leave it until tomorrow as you’ve said it is quite late. Good night! Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
crimsom
Rising Star

Hello @Gandalf thank you for keeping in touch. 

The PlusNet Hub One was plugged into one of our household telephone sockets and connected to our BT telephone line for the very first time at about 14:00 hours on Wednesday 01 January 2020. So our PlusNet fibre broadband connection has only been active for about six days. Consequently, it is too early to arrange for an engineer to get involved because the broadband speed guide says wait fourteen days for your broadband to settle into a speed close to the estimate PlusNet gave you when you signed up. 

Thanks for the prompt to plug the PlusNet Hub One directly into our master socket. The junction box was disconnected from our master socket. As stipulated in the guide, we used the microfilter because our master socket is a very old BT single socket. The PlusNet Hub One was plugged into the microfilter, but the junction box was not reconnected and thereby removed any speed reduction from our household telephones. A speed test was conducted. This speed test result was 34ms delay, 17.9Mbps download and 6.2Mbps upload. 

circuit1 Spur wiringcircuit1 Spur wiring   20200105 Speedtest 18Mbps20200105 Speedtest 18Mbps

We will leave the PlusNet Hub One connected to our master socket and wait the stipulated fourteen days to allow our connection speed to settle on hopefully the cronhost05.servers.plus.net on behalf of PlusNet Support previously declared actual speed of 37Mbps. Kind regards. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @crimsom no problem, thanks for the detail. I've tested your line tonight and your speeds have increased dramatically from the 10mbps I was seeing previously on the 2nd January to 33.5mbps now.

The speed of 37mbps we've advised of in an email is a bit of a red herring, that's the standard speed of the package you're on. It looks like our system hadn't updated a profile on your account to reflect the actual speed you were getting on Boxing Day. For your line the estimated speed range is between 32.4mbps and 45.9mbps.

It looks like the work you've done to disconnect the junction box from your master socket had improved your speeds for you. Although you should be seeing closer to 33mbps rather than the 17.9mbps you are getting.

Did you run that speed test on a computer or laptop plugged directly into your router using an ethernet cable with nothing running in the background and no other devices using the internet?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
crimsom
Rising Star

Hello @Gandalf thank you for updating our PlusNet Fibre broadband connection profile. 

For the de facto speed test: We have disconnected the internal junction box to all the house phones and placed the laptop next to the PlusNet Hub One that is now in the hallway. We have just the real time Malwarebytes Anti-Malware running in the background in addition to the other standard Window 10 background software. The laptop has 100Mbps Ethernet and 1200Mbps Wireless network adapters. These give 100Mbps Ethernet and 866.7Mbps Wireless connection speeds. The speed test is the only broadband connection and is undertaken with just the laptop connected to the PlusNet Hub One. We postulate that the de facto speed test parameters have been fully optimised to report the actual speed test results. 

In response to the connection profile update, another de facto speed test was conducted. The Ethernet speed test result was 22ms delay, 26.4Mbps download and 6.6Mbps upload. The Wireless speed test result was 45ms delay, 26.1Mbps download and 6.3Mbps upload.

20200106 Ethernet 26Mbps20200106 Ethernet 26Mbps     20200106 Wireless 26Mbps20200106 Wireless 26Mbps

Although variability in speed testing is expected, the average download speed is now 26Mbps. We propose to wait the full fourteen day connection stabilisation to see if we get the advertised 36Mbps download connection speed. Kind regards. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @crimsom 

No problem, the download speed you’re getting of 26mbps seems about right for a sync speed of 33mbps albeit it may be a tad low.

Let us know how it goes over the next week or so Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
crimsom
Rising Star

Hello @Gandalf thank you for your observation. Evidently, PlusNet Fibre has fulfilled its contractual obligation to provide a guaranteed minimum speed of 24.9Mbps. Postulate, there was no mention of a sync speed (as compared with normal speed). Not particularly wise after the PlusNet purchase. Kind regards. 

@puddy wrote Here: Depending what router you have, you could try a re-sync with the exchange using the dmt tool. It worked for me. When you run the program put a tick in the box for English. Puddy 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem @crimsom you’re right that you’ve got a minimum guaranteed speed with no mention of ‘sync speed’. I was just going into the more technical side of things. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
crimsom
Rising Star

Hello @Gandalf the BT Broadband Speed terminology works for me. Kind regards. 

What is connection speed?
Your connection speed (sometimes called “sync speed”) represents the raw speed that the Hub negotiates when connecting typically from you to your local telephone exchange or from you to the cabinets you see in the street. 

What is throughput speed?
Throughput speed represents the speed at which you can actually send and receive data, and it is what you experience at home when using your broadband connection. This is also the actual speed you receive at your device when you run a speed test. This can't be higher than the connection speed. Throughput speed is affected by a wide range of factors such as the time of day, the number of devices using your Hub at the same time, and whether you use a wired or wireless connection. 
crimsom
Rising Star

Hello @Gandalf the 14 day waiting for broadband fibre to settle down to the as advertised 36Mbps speed has pasted. So it is time to undertake another de facto Ethernet speed test. The now typical result is 23ms delay, 25Mbps download and 6.2Mbps upload. 

20200116 Wired Speedtest 24.9Mbps20200116 Wired Speedtest 24.9Mbps

I do not know why the broadband fibre speed is slow. The telephone master socket looks to be optimised, there being only two wired connections. Is it now time to raise a raise a fault Here to see if the engineer can get the as adverised 36Mbps? That is, unless you can suggest a remedy. Kind regards. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @crimsom I'd personally go by the expectations of your line rather than the 'advertised speed' for the package you're on as that's just an average. 

For your line the estimated speed is between 32.4mbps and 45.9mbps, if your router is still getting a line speed of 33mbps your download speed of 25mbps is about right for that although maybe a tad slow.

Was that test completed with nothing running in the background on the computer you used and no other devices using the broadband?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
crimsom
Rising Star

Hello @Gandalf the speed test was fully optimised, nothing other than malwarebytes running in the background on the computer and no other devices connected to broadband.

It is 02:00 hours (in the morning) with the expectation that local broadband services are not heavily in demand. Another optimised speed test has been conducted and the actual speed results are 58ms delay, 19.8Mbps download and 6.4Mbps upload.

20200117 Ethernet 19.8Mbps20200117 Ethernet 19.8Mbps

The actual speed of 19.8Mbps is beneath the guaranteed minimum speed of 24.9Mbps. So we believe that there is a fault somewhere on the Open Reach network (or the PlusNet Hub One router). Kind regards.