cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unlimited broadband only

crimsom
Rising Star

Re: unlimited broadband only

Thank you @Gandalf for exploring the PlusNet Broadband Only sign up process.

It is curious that the first window says that its function is to "check your phone line and let you know the results." As previously mentioned, BT can check ability to receive reliable Broadband services using just the Telephone Number (independently of postal address). Despite unticking the get in touch box, entering a post code is mandated before processing is allowed to continue!

PlusNet_2.jpg  PlusNet_5.jpg

The first window selection allows to not "Enter your landline number (recommended)", the subsequent "We've found a working phone line at your property" window declares "You've told us that you don't have a phone number" and processing stops when neither of the two options is selected.

Creation of a logic flow diagram should have been used to refine the contents of these windows so that customer navigation is not impaired. 

crimsom
Rising Star

Note that PlusNet Mobile allows Broadband Tethering to smart device (e.g. laptop) on all SIM-only plans. My laptop has a memory card reader port that will accept a SIM card. The mobile broadband speeds seem to be much better than the landline broadband speeds. Unlike other tethering providers, we did not find a PlusNet Mobile unlimited data plan (unless you know differently). 

crimsom
Rising Star

Thank you @EmilyD for confirmation that PlusNet Unlimited Broadband Only would be available with a speed of around 7mbps for this potential customer. I was optimistic that the PlusNet speed would be around the advertised 16 Mbps (similar to my current ISP). 

Also thank you to all of this thread's contributors. Kind regards. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for your feedback @crimsom Did you try signing up as a broadband only customer using your post code and landline phone number? Just wondering if that worked for you.

With regards to what speeds you can achieve, I think there's some confusion here. If ADSL2+ is available in your area then we'd be able to provide you with that broadband service. For your line, the estimated speed range is 8.5mbps to 19mbps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
crimsom
Rising Star

Hello @Gandalf please note that @EmilyD commented on my earlier textural summary of the check on the BT landline for its ability to receive reliable Broadband services. ADSL2+ is available at my local cabinet, see image. Hope this helps to resolve any confusion. 

Broadband Availability checker.jpg

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @crimsom Aye. We'll provide all broadband customers ADSL2+ by default if it's available. 

If you choose to sign up your estimated speed range should be as DSL Checker advises for ADSL2+.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
crimsom
Rising Star

Hi @Gandalf, thank you for the update that using ADSL2+ is the PlusNet Unlimited default. The ADSL checker that uses the telephone number matches your previously estimated 8.5 to 19 Mbps. 

ADSLChecker.TelephoneNumberADSLChecker.TelephoneNumber

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem @crimsom let us know if there's anything else we'd be able to help with.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
crimsom
Rising Star

It is curious that the activation fee for unlimited broadband only has not been reduced in the current offering of other PlusNet plans that have had their activation fee reduced to zero. 

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @Crimson,

It depends on our new customer offers. Sometimes the offer will include free activation and sometimes not. Our current offers have free activation for both ADSL and fibre broadband.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
crimsom
Rising Star

Hello @EmilyD, thank you for keeping in touch.

Unfortunately the current PlusNet new customer offers did not reduce the activation fee for both ADSL and fibre broadband with Line rental needed with another provider. 

Noted your earlier post saying that my BT Broadband Availability checker result indicates that my broadband speeds will be reduced by the archaic local cabinet. Have been in contact with OpenReach in an attempt to instigate a future upgrade of the local cabinet broadband speeds. The OpenReach - Thank you for registering - email says "Unfortunately, your address isn't part of our current rollout programme. But don't worry, you'll be one of the first to know when our Ultrafast service arrives in your area." 

Hope that the future local cabinet upgrade will increase the speed of all the PlusNet plans. 

Kind regards. 

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Really sorry to hear this @crimsom

Our pricing does change week to week and sometimes it can be worth giving our Sales team a ring on 0800 432 0080 to see if they are able to remove the activation fees.

Fingers crossed your cabinet does get a look in from Openreach in the near future.

Thanks .

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Notification tag fixed/edited
Crimson
Grafter

I seem to be getting mixed up with 'Crimsom' and Ireceived an email to my Plusnet emaill address inbox but it was not for me - it was for  Crimsom.   ' I am Crimson- with an 'n' at the end!

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @Crimson - my apologies for the mix-up here. I can see that you were accidentally tagged in one of the posts on this thread and that will have triggered an email to your forum email address accordingly.

If you receive any further correspondence that is intended for Crimsom, could you please let me know and I'll ensure that this is fed back accordingly?

Best wishes

Dave

crimsom
Rising Star

We are currently connected to our ISP using a local Cable (& Wireless plc) cabinet and the download speeds are significantly faster and more reliable than our local archaic OpenReach cabinet. Is there any prospect that PlusNet will start to use the existing Cable cabinets so that we can sign-up to the 66Mbps Unlimited Fibre Extra plan, now or in the future? Thank you. Kind regards.