cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

just renewed contract and minimum speed was deceptively removed

rogerharris
Hooked

just renewed contract and minimum speed was deceptively removed

Just renewed my contract after being given a page which said my minimum speed gaurantee was 14.6 mb/s.  See the screenshot taken before placing the order.

Then I check the email and it says "Your Minimum Guaranteed Speed wasn't available at the point you placed the order but we'll continue to place your order as agreed with you."

This is clearly a really low down foul play bait and switch tactic.   I only just signed it... Do I have any speed rights in my contract now ?  I am concerned that if they would do this, then its some push by plusnet managers to oversubscribe and have no responsbility for it. 

Do I have the right to have this contract made null and start again with the speed they stated they would ?

IMG_20231125_143847858.jpg

6 REPLIES 6
Baldrick1
Fixes: 421

Re: just renewed contract and minimum speed was deceptively removed

Moderator's note:
Thread moved from Broadband to My Order.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Baldrick1

@rogerharris 

There may be a problem with the Plusnet database but there is no conspiracy to cheat you. The bottom line is that there is no connection between renewing an existing contract and the speed of your connection, your speed will be exactly the same as you received on the old contract.

The question is whether the speed that you are getting meets the offered speed. This will be based on the speed predicted to be available by Openreach, which is available here: https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL 

If you have no landline phone switch to the address version.

Hopefully your contract will get updated with your guaranteed minimum speed.

Moderator and Customer

rogerharris
Hooked

"The bottom line is that there is no connection between renewing an existing contract and the speed of your connection, your speed will be exactly the same as you received on the old contract."

Thanks for the link, it says lowest speed 15.6 Mbps which is reassuring.   However they didnt provide any speed on the old contract so there is no minimum speed to transfer and they only offered 24 month contract, so I now dont have any legal basis for two years if they provide poor service.   I dont see why they would at this stage offer any minimum speed unless I threaten to leave as they got me to sign the contract now.

We all know the one big legal thing crucial to all these contracts is the mimimum speed being maintained.  The government put in place rules about quality of service and one of these is continuous speed.  Where as max speed, download or upload speed can all be played about with as to what they mean and what one can prove.. , there is just no legal get out of continuous.  Its meant to be alway there at that rate.  Its also pretty easy to prove its not provided by way of streaming not working  using tech tools,  and  the law is clear to the broadband providers about it.

And as we see from your link there is no issue with the data about my line.  Anyway wll call and try to cancel the contract

Baldrick1

@rogerharris 

Contact the Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 and ask them for a Guaranteed Minimum Speed in writing. This should be a bit below the minimum clean estimated speed. This phone number is normally answered quite quickly.

I understand your need for this information but be aware that if you go to another ISP that uses the Openreach network you will get the sameactual speed.

Moderator and Customer

rogerharris
Hooked

just a follow up.. all seems to be sorted now.  they did give a slightly lower speed of 13.7mbs, same as in the link above.  Plus gave me a another £1.50 of a month for the hassle

greygit1
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I've just got a new contract via Plusnet. The guaranteed speed is only applicable to download. As far as I can see there is no guaranteed upload speed. My inner network engineer suggests a ratio based on the guaranteed upload. It wil be a fraction of the upload. This may suggest that things like cloud storage solutions commonly marketed to the punter could be negatively affected. Depending on what they want in the cloud.