Thanks mate you are a star! A real credit to PN 👍

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: help r.e upgrading to FTTP

Fix

Cheers! No problem. Happy to help. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419
Moved:

Tinkler
Dabbler

@Gandalf 

Engineer came about 10am and was gone for 12.

All sorted. Speeds are a bit up and down but im guessing they will sort themselves out.

Many thanks for all your help regarding getting this installed, it's greatly appreciated!

😀

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Cheers for the update!

I'm glad that your FTTP service is finally installed. Cheesy

I've just sent you a refund to cover the time you've paid the full fibre service which you haven't had so you should receive the money in your bank account within 5 to 10 working days.

What sort of speeds are you seeing? Also are you testing on a device that's wired to your router or wireless? 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Tinkler
Dabbler

Using Pfsense with an i3 8100 CPU with 10g nics and switches, with wireguard VPN im seeing between 200 and 790Mb and without, anywhere from 350 to 920Mb.

Its jumping around a lot, so im asuming it will settle down over the coming days.

BTW, I know it sounds overspec but Pfsense is based on freebsd, so is only single core for PPPOE connections, so need a beefy chip 😁

EDIT*

Thank you kindly for the refund 👍

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Haha nice! No problem, that makes sense and fingers crossed things settle down.

Let me know if there's anything else you'd need help with. Cheesy

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@Tinkler wrote:

All sorted. Speeds are a bit up and down but im guessing they will sort themselves out.

... but this is FTTP which is lit and working at the specified speed ... or its not working at all.  There is nothing to "settle down" with FTTP.  Were these tests conducted over WiFi?

Any variability in speed tests over FTTP will be entirely down to the user environment (think WiFI) or the remote end.  This observation is the exact concern the SUs have been discussing given that there is no means for users to verify the link speed from the ONT.  "I am not getting the speeds I expected" was a very predictable concern.

I seem to recall that one investigation of disappointment over FTTP perceived speed discovered that the user was not using the supplied ethernet cable (CAT5e IIRC) for the connection between the router and the ONT - their FTTP speed experience was being limited by their other ethernet cable speed rating (100mbps). 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Tinkler
Dabbler

My set up is: ONT > cat6a > 10gb nic pfsense > cat6a > 10gb switch > cat6a

All other iot's, and non important stuff is either WiFi 5 or 100mb Ethernet.

I read somewhere like fttc, its a shared resource, so maybe depends on the time of day?
Late last night and early this morning the wireguard VPN pulled 750/105 and 965/110 without. And I tried each 4 or 5 times to be certain

I definitely wasn't getting that after the engineer left or indeed for most of the afternoon.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

@Tinkler Which speed tester are you using ?

The official Bt wholesale one can be a bit erratic on high speed products. The Ookla one speedtest.net seems to be more consistent.

I read somewhere like fttc, its a shared resource, so maybe depends on the time of day?

yes, it is still a contended connection.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Tinkler
Dabbler

Yes always use ookla.
The only other thing I can think of is the reset of states in pfsense after I removed the limiter to reduce buffer bloat on the old fttc connection.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

Don't know much about Pfsense in detail, but it sounds feasible.

Just keep an eye on things for a while and see how it goes.

I'm on the Fibre 900 product and usually get around 910/110 reported using the speedtest cli test on a Linux box.

I'm using a Tplink ER605 router.

Tinkler
Dabbler

Yes, will do, however I still find it hard not to smile when my upload is faster than my download used to be 😁