Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fibre upgrade not switched over

nickascii
Grafter

Re: fibre upgrade not switched over

thanks, I've made network as simple as possible now:

just one PC cat 5 to hub

dsl to micro filter to master socket (no extension wiring)

note it's one of the old master sockets with a line across, back in the day I remember unscrewing and removing

bottom half (?) to plug in directly (I haven't tried that yet)

switched off 2.4 and 5 GHz wireless also just to be sure nothing else.

still max upload I have got so far is 8Mbps (download steady at 74Mbps !) 

on the help assistant question it does say "Bridge tap detected"

could that effect the upload, or maybe i just need to leave it 10 days to "settle" ?

Like I said pretty happy, but if it is possible to get close to 20Mbs up that would be even better, Smiley

or at least figure out why I can only get 8 up.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@nickascii With 20Mbps upload sync speed you should be getting around 18Mbps on speed tests, I don't believe the reported bridge tap is a problem. It isn't going to settle in 10 days that is just a myth, your sync speeds are at the maximum possible. Are you sure the PC is not uploading anything while doing the tests. What are using for your speed test? Try the Thinkbroadband speed tester that can give useful info.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi @nickascii

I'd also recommend you've got nothing open in the background while running the test and seeing what result you get on a ThinkBroadband speedtest. If you have no extension wiring, then I don't believe unscrewing the master socket to try the 'test socket' will help solve a bridge tap as that's generally a wiring issue.

I've run further diagnostics (RRT) and that's showing "Line issue detected" which may be contributing towards the issue. 

Assuming your upload speed's still slow running a test with nothing in the background, could you reply to the support ticket Here with when you'd be available for an engineer visit?

Feel free to post back once you've responded and we'll be happy to make sure that's booked for you as soon as we can.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
nickascii
Grafter

Thanks, did some more tests yesterday and today.

Still only getting 7 on https://speedtest.btwholesale.com
but 17.6 on https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest

As a "real world" test went to
https://fastest.fish/test-files
and under "Locally generated test files"
grabbed 1GB.bin then tested upload to azure via
https://www.azurespeed.com/Azure/UploadLargeFile
(region uk south (as no option for uk north), 4096 block size and 4 threads)

upload seemed to stall at 70% (tried twice) so got a custom 500MB file (500,000,000 bytes)

Results:
file = 500MB.bin; size = 476.84 MB; upload time = 216.632 s; speed = 2.2 MB/s

so if my maths is right thats an upload of 500,000,000 * 8 bits in 216.632 seconds

i.e.
( ( 500,000,000 * 8 ) / 216.632 ) / 1,000,000 = 18.5 Mbps (mega bits per second)

so speeds looking good Smiley

Re the bridge tap / line fault will BT still investigate / fix that now
it has been identified (given speeds now look ok)?

You mentioned a possible wiring issue, is that likely to be in propery or external ?

FYI, internally wiring looks fairly simple e.g. from master socket there's about
10m of very thin phone like cable running to a small white box (4cm x 6cm) with
a BT logo. Going outside there seems to be a thicker cable running through the front wall
into that box. That cable then seems to go off to another junction box on
next doors property. That junction box looks really old with loads of cables going in/out.
Also the "green BT street box" is about 50m away

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Thanks a lot for your response  @nickascii

Bridge Taps are ususally defects with the wiring either within, or around the parameter of the property. We understand that in some instances, you can't control this, especially if the wiring goes off onto another property. @Gandalf has updated the open fault ticket on your account asking you to respond with available dates / times for an engineer appointment. Please feel free to give us a shout once you're responded to it and we'll get this picked up sooner. Smiley

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
nickascii
Grafter

thanks, replied to ticket

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @nickascii, thanks for getting back to us.
You've advised the speed issues you were previously seeing have now stopped but wish to progress to an engineer appointment to investigate the bridge tap issue.
I'd advise then before we arrange an engineer to come and investigate the bridge tap to please plug your connection into the test socket as you mentioned above this hasn't been done yet and this check alone could save the need of an engineer visit narrowing the bridge tap cause down further for us.

This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause of the bridge tap which are all connected whilst the faceplate to the master socket is still connected. How to test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:
https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

Please give us a nudge when in this set-up as we'll happily re-test to see if the bridge tap is still being detected.

nickascii
Grafter

Hi,

just a quick update on this, had engineer visit and they replaced master socket

and now line is testing fine. thanks for all your help  Smiley

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Great stuff @nickascii Smiley

Thanks for letting us know. Feel free to reach out if you need any further assistance at all.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds