cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You barely reply to your own support ticket that YOU OPENED - can you ever fix your mistake?

eddieapathy

You barely reply to your own support ticket that YOU OPENED - can you ever fix your mistake?

I am experiencing difficulties in getting Plusnet to rectify their mistake.  You have not retained my existing BT telephone number (of 20 years), as was agreed when I placed the order.  What is equally, if not more infuriating, is the lack of correspondence from Plusnet on how they are / aren't progressing with fixing their mistake.  It would appear that a response is more quickly attained via this forum than it is by holding on the phone for 45 / 50 minutes until someone from "customer services" even takes the call.  Each customer service agent I have spoken to has given conflicting information, and, my last call was with a seemingly helpful agent at Provisioning / Order Updates who said that he personally knew how to deal with it and that HE WOULD CONTACT ME within 24 / 48 hours via text and / or support ticket.  This has not happened and that was 6 days ago!  My "temporary" Plusnet telephone number went live on 18th July and I'm still no further forward in your resolving your error of not retaining my numner.  How can I know if Plusnet is effectively even addressing the issue if you aren't corresponding?  Another couple of days and this matter will be referred to Ofcom as I simply can't afford to loose my old telephone number and I certainly don't have time to chase my tail with inefficient Plusnet Customer Services.

Here are details of the error...AGAIN!

When placing my order, it was agreed that Plusnet would retain my existing BT number and bring it to my new address as I was in the process of moving house.  The agent clearly explained that after a number of days of placing my order, I would be issued with a temporary telephone number, and, around 48 hours thereafter, the temporary number would be replaced with my existing BT number.  This has not happened - temporary number went live on 18th July and this is now the 30th yet I'm still only able to use your temporary number!

Plusnet blames BT, BT blames Plusnet - the football is kicked back and forth and then it is discovered that the mistake was in fact made by Plusnet:

Chronology:
* On placing my order, Plusnet agreed to provide me with internet and phone at my new address and retain my existing BT number. Plusnet was aware at the time of ordering, that I was moving house.
* Having spoken to Plusnet agents who offered conflicting information, I finally speak to an agent in Provisions who seems to know what has gone wrong.  He contacted BT and advised me that my BT line was still live at my old address - 24 G********d
* Plusnet initiated service at my new address (84 G******** Drive,) but did not first take control from BT at the old address (24 G********d) in order to be able to retain the tel number. Plusnet's request to retain my existing BT telephone number was being declined by BT, because BT had not been supplying me at 84 G******** Drive (the line was in fact kept live at my old address owing to your error) and therefore BT could not associate me with 84 G******** Drive.
* Following the advice of your agent in Provisions on 24th July, he told me to call BT and ask them to disconnect my line.  I did as advised and BT has disconnected my line at the old address. As the line wasn't correctly transferred by Plusnet, rather than the free transfer, BT has had to charge a disconnection fee of £31 for which I trust that Plusnet will reimburse.

My understanding is that my existing number would now been released by BT and that it will be available for you to request.  Your agent suggested that he would keep me updated by text or support ticket with 24 - 48 hours of me contacting BT.  6 days have elapsed and I haven't had any correspondence.  Further to that, you have closed the support ticket?!  Question #152927287

Appalling customer service thus far.  I NEED my existing number as was agreed on placing the order!  Another 48 hours without you advising me of the details and your active steps towards resolution, I will have no option other than to contact Ofcom.   

6 REPLIES 6
bjj12
Hooked

Re: You barely reply to your own support ticket that YOU OPENED - can you ever fix your mistake?

Hi eddieapathy

I have replied on my thread... mentioning it in case you haven't seen it.

We too were stuck inbetween BT and Plusnet.  Neither taking responsibility and both telling us to call the other company.

I shall look carefully to see if BT have charged us too or not for disconnecting, reconnecting, disconnecting again!  I will definitely look to Plusnet to reimburse.

Plusnet's quote on their Welcome letter.  "We will take care of everything to activate your new servie, including contacting your old provider".  Didn't quite happen like that for us!

Once I escalated it we did get help and the member of staff we dealt with was brilliant.  It took some effort to get there though!

Good Luck

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: You barely reply to your own support ticket that YOU OPENED - can you ever fix your mistake?

Hi there,

Sorry to hear of your poor experience and that your support ticket was closed. I've passed internal feedback on about that.

Having reviewed your account, I can see we provided a service at your new address, but we were unable to choose your home telephone number because it was already active with your previous provider at your old address.

We won't be able to cover the cessation fee that you've been charged from your previous provider, as we've simply just provided a service at the address details we've been given.

I can see that the active line at your previous address is due to cease tomorrow. Once that happens, we should be able to renumber your line we're providing at your new address with that number.

Ideally, what should have happened was that we place an order to takeover the line at your previous address via the minimum lead time of 10 working day timeframe. Once that was completed, you'd then contact our house moves team to provide a service at your new address, whilst retaining your home telephone number.

I've created a new ticket to our provisioning team to place an order to renumber your line as soon as we can.

I hope this helps.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
eddieapathy

Gandalf,

Many thanks for coming back to me.  I understand everything that you have detailed, the process etc and thank you for you version of events.  My comments here are not directed at you personally, but rather to Plusnet via you.

The point is that when placing my order, your agent knew where I was living and that I was in the process of moving.  He advised that Plusnet would take care of everything associated with the transition and that I would not have to contact BT.  Exercising due-diligence, on the same evening that I placed the order, I DID contact BT in order to be 100% sure that what your agent told me was correct.  BT advised that Plusnet would be dealing with taking over the service, retaining my number etc. 

"...we've simply just provided a service at the address details we've been given".  The error was thus on the way in which Plusnet handled the transfer as you were advised of the former address, the new address and the need to retain my number.  Based on whatever information your agent acted upon, he has obviously omitted the part about the service needing to be taken over by Plusnet at my old address first, in order for you to be able to move it across to my new address.

Having spoken to your agent in Provisions (after a considerable holding time) on trying to resolve Plusnet's mistake, I was advised by said agent that my old line and existing telephone number was still live at my old address.  He advised that it would therefore be necessary for me to contact BT to have the line ceased - something that Plusnet said they would be handling in the transition.  I'm appalled by this because, when placing my order, your agent told me that Plusnet would be letting my existing provider know...etc etc.  This means that my old line and my preferred telephone number was left active for almost one month at an address at which I no longer live.  This poses a number of issues; I was paying for 2 services (BT & Plusnet) without my knowledge, as Plusnet said they would handle everything.  Luckily after much toing and froing I found out that Plusnet didn't handle everything as had been advised, so I personally had to contact BT in retrospect to have that line ceased! Furthermore, due to your error, anyone at my old address could have been using my BT phone at my expense (I haven't had my final bill from BT so that may well still be the case!)

"Ideally, what should have happened was that we place an order to takeover the line at your previous address via the minimum lead time of 10 working day timeframe. Once that was completed, you'd then contact our house moves team to provide a service at your new address, whilst retaining your home telephone number."  That would have been super, although your agent advised that Plusnet would be dealing with the transition.

Following my discussion with your agent, Sam, in Provisions on 24th July (who told me that he'd be in touch in around 24 - 48 hours by text and / or support ticket - that was one week ago today and I'm still awaiting his response) I subsequently contacted BT to have the line ceased as was advised by him.

According to BT (and you concur in your response, what SHOULD have happened was that Plusnet should have taken control of the service at my old address first, before then moving it to my new address.  Therein lies your error.

Without making accusations, I would be of the opinion that Plusnet is trying to wash its hands of this error.  I have now paid a cessation fee to BT and an upfront payment to Plusnet for a service that is not as yet correctly provided. 

Most disappointed in Plusnet negating responsibility for this error.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I am very sorry that the Sales agent created the account at your new address, instead of your previous address.

The call will be reviewed and feedback will be passed on internally.

We will be happy to discuss a gesture of goodwill once the matter is resolved. I can see that your complaint has been received and you've been assigned a case handler as per this ticket.

I'd expect them to get back to you tomorrow.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
eddieapathy

Problem #1 resolved.  Plusnet has now managed to reinstate my old number at my new address.  It was an arduous process for me to get it rectified, but the main thing is that Plusnet has finally delivered on this particular issue.  I'll be interested in hearing from the Plusnet agent in regards to reimbursement.    Thanks for your successful application and procurement of my old number. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Let us know how it goes.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet