cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would like to set up an account on behalf of my brother - I have Enduring Power of Attorney

FIXED
Lisabet

Would like to set up an account on behalf of my brother - I have Enduring Power of Attorney

Hi - I have an EPA (not an LPA) for my brother who has quadraplegic cerebral palsy. We have had trouble with BT throughout his time with them not taking on board his issues and vulnerabilities. They are now trying to put his monthly fees up to £78.50 for broadband and some inclusive telephone calls. He is not in contract so can move provider. However, the account must be in his name for his address, with charges debited from his account, but with the power of attorney endorsed on the account so that I or his other two attorneys can deal with all paperwork and communications for him (he is deaf, cannot speak and does not have the use of his hands).  When I contacted Plusnet a few years back with a view to moving then, the person I spoke to said that could not be done and it would easiest if I just opened an account in my own name etc. My brother has mental capacity, just a body that does not work. The account should be his, with the liability for the charges being his.  I appreciate the current issues but would like to try and get this resolved for him as soon as possible as his entire income is from benefits and he cannot afford to be paying £78.50 a month.

5 REPLIES 5
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Would like to set up an account on behalf of my brother - I have Enduring Power of Attorney

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Everything Else to My Orders

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Would like to set up an account on behalf of my brother - I have Enduring Power of Attorney

Accounts can have named others to deal with it and there is also a vulnerable persons notice that PN have so I don’t see why the account couldn’t be in your brothers name.

Hopefully a staff member will clarify shortly
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Lisabet

Thanks. That is good to know. I hope to hear from a staff member as I have been unable to contact plusnet in any other way. I was surprised at the time I last tried to move to plusnet that it was recommended that I just open the account in my own name. Appreciate your input, especially about the vulnerable person notice.

tinytaco
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

Fix

@Lisabet Hey there! We can absolutely set up the account for your brother and then add you onto the account as a EPA Smiley I'll contact you on the phone very shortly.

Noor
 Plusnet Help Team
Lisabet

Thanks for your message and your call. I will look into a package and be in touch via the email address you provided. Thanks for your help.

Best wishes

Lisabet