cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worst switch I have ever made.

CrustyManMeat
Hooked

Worst switch I have ever made.

So i decided to switch to Plusnet because the deal you had on at the time was the best I could find for phone and fibre (ie the cheapest) so I signed up. I was informed that my order had been placed and everything would be fine. It was for about a week until I received an email informing me that my order had been cancelled. I spoke to customer services who apologised and informed me that for some unknown reason the order had been cancelled for no reason other than a system error. The order was placed again and that should have been the end of it. 

The following week I received another email informing me that my order had been cancelled again much to my surprise. I contacted customer services who informed me that it was again down to a system error but they would place the order again for me. One day before my phone and fibre were due to go live my router had still not arrived so I contacted customer support once again to find out where it was. To my horror the fibre order had never been reordered only the phone.

I am now going to be £56 out of pocket through no fault of my own at the end of August because I am now having my Phone and Fibre through BT at an out of contract rate all because of Plusnet's incompetence. There has been no offer of compensation I am just expected to take it like a man and accept that I have to pay for someone else's mistakes. I raised a ticket over 48 hours ago and I am still waiting for a response even though I was told it would be no more than 24 hours. I thought BT were bad but at least they switched my service on when they said they would and didn't leave me paying for someone else's mistakes.

10 REPLIES 10
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: Worst switch I have ever made.

@JonoH  yet another for your collection of BTW interface problems.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Hi,

A warm welcome to the forums.

There are a multiplicity of reasons why BT Wholesale cancel any ISP's order. I trust you've not told BT you intended to leave? Such action has been known to cause BT Retail to place a service cease order on a line ... which will cause any order from another ISP to be cancelled.

Another common issue is that BT Openreach's information about your phone line is wrong. That will prevent any ISP (other than the current line owner) from placing an order on the line. There was a recent case where BT Retail had got the wrong information about a user's phone line / address - the result being that when plusnet tried to supply service BT Openreach databases report no phone service at the property (which results in a cancelled order).

There are a multitude of other reasons as well. Sadly Plusnet are at time reluctant to clearly say where the issue arises - largely being circumspect about calling out their sister divisions within the BT group.

If repeated order cancellation is not bad enough the 'bridge cases' required to sort it BT's issues can take several days (each time) to resolve. Unfortunately if the cause is of the ilk I suggested, any other ISP is likely to face similar issues.

Your exact problems needs staff insight. In the meantime I'll add this case to the Superuser query on the causes of order cancellation and lack of clarity of communication to users when they do happen.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

CrustyManMeat
Hooked

Of course I told BT I was leaving.
agedgopher
All Star
Fixes: 15

I am sorry @CrustyManMeat, but having told BT that you were leaving is the root of all of the problems that you are currently experiencing.

Ofcom's rules on changing providers state that you tell the company you want to move to and they handle everything. As has been indicated earlier in the thread, the cancellation orders placed on the line by BT will prevent Plusnet from ordering until the cancellations have completed.

CrustyManMeat
Hooked

That's exactly what happened. Plusnet told them I was leaving. They handled all of it.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Which is it...

You told BT or you LEFT IT to Plusnet to do everything?

These are mutually exclusive options ... and you assert that both are the way it happened?

Hopefully a staff member can bring some clarity here.

CrustyManMeat
Hooked

It was all left in plusnets incapable hands.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there,

I am very sorry to hear of your poor experience. Having reviewed your account and contacting our suppliers, I can say that this was not a case of the previous provider placing a cease on the line.

We placed a simultaneous order [twice] so that both your services would go live on the same day.

Unfortunately, both of these orders were cancelled by our suppliers because a CTAG exception had been generated, which happens when the order is not built correctly in the Openreach applications. Basically a system issue.

We've been advised that, if affected, the majority of simultaneous orders we place will fail. This is something that I believe they've aware of and working to fix. The only workaround at the moment is to place standalone orders.

I can see that your complaint is in the hands with one of my colleagues of our customer relations team. They have taken personal ownership of this, and we'll be getting your broadband back on as quickly as we can.

Once again, please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Anoush

EDIT: @CrustyManMeat

Just been discussing this further with your case handler. It looks like that the CTAG exception issue has since been resolved [as of yesterday] so we're going to try placing a simultaneous order again for you.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
CrustyManMeat
Hooked

Thanks Gandalf I am speaking to one of your colleagues later on tonight.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

No problems, let us know if you need further assistance from us.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet