cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do I need a new BT socket when there's already an existing Openreach socket?

NewCustomer1
Hooked

Why do I need a new BT socket when there's already an existing Openreach socket?

I'm in a flat that hasn't had broadband for about five years. There's an existing Openreach socket but nothing has been plugged into it for the last few years. And there's been no working phone in the flat for about the same amount of time.

I'm thinking about getting broadband fired up in this flat and contacted the Plusnet website. After entering in my address, the website says I need to pay £49+ to get an engineer round to 'install a new BT socket'. I'm a bit confused because there's already an Openreach socket installed. Surely this just takes someone hitting a switch somewhere? Why do I need to have an engineer around to make this happen? What are they going to install?

Any info that can be shared would be most appreciated.

21 REPLIES 21
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Why do I need a new BT socket when there's already an existing Openreach socket?

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Order

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Why do I need a new BT socket when there's already an existing Openreach socket?

@NewCustomer1 I'm wondering if the address you have supplied to PlusNet doesn't quite tie-in with the records held by BT. This would explain why they think you need a new installation.

John
NewCustomer1
Hooked

You might be right. To check, I've entered my address details into NowTV new customer broadband. They don't mention anything about sending over an engineer and say I'm ready to once I place the order...

Is Plusnet interested in looking into this or should I go with another provider? I'd rather be with Plusnet but £49 is £49...

jab1
Legend

One of the PN Help Team will pick this up shortly. Unfortunately, I can't help any more as the details required are held on equipment only accessible by ISP's, but I'm a little surprised NowTV haven't hit the same problem, to be honest.

John
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@NewCustomer1 

You can look at the address held by OpenReach. Put your post code in the following and then select your address from the drop down list.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

If it matches then it could be a PN system glitch. Either wait for a PN staffer to come along on this Board or try phoning them - if you have time to wait. However I believe the Sales department tends to have shorter waiting times than Support.

Brian

jab1
Legend

@bmc I'd forgotten the Address Checker. Embarrassed

John
NewCustomer1
Hooked

Wow, that's really helpful. Your link says, if I'm reading it correctly, that my address is served by an exchange and lists the cabinet

ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) Availability DateWBC ADSL 2+WBC ADSL2+ Annex MADSL MaxWBC Fixed RateFixed Rate
Up to 17--10 to 19.5Available
Up to 17Up to 1.510 to 19.5Available
Up to 7.5--6.5 to 8Available
2----Available
2----Available
Other Offerings Availability Date

I'm not really keen on phoning sales people. Don't they have an email / chat service? And this possible glitch doesn't really bode well for customer service and technical support? If I didn't ask the question, would Plusnet just pocketed the £49 fee without telling me it was unnecessary?
bmc
Hero

@NewCustomer1 

The results you posted don't look too good speed wise. Is it possible to post a screen shot of the results page (hiding your address). To insert the picture in your post click on the rectangle that looks like it has a picture of a mountain.

If you prefer not to speak on the phone then you need to wait for for someone like @Gandalf  to come along and cast his spells.

Brian

jab1
Legend

That makes sense, but I have seen situations previously that say this on one part of the BT system, but the information can be different on another - BT do not do joined-up thinking.

A proper screenshot of the data would be helpful - that provided seems to suggest you can only get ADSL, which is very unusual these days.

John
NewCustomer1
Hooked

Here's a screenshot of my address (I trimmed off the address but it says I'm on an exchange and lists the cabinet. I'm not planning on using broadband for anything other than light use so no need for massive bandwidth.

bbcheck.jpg

jab1
Legend

Personally, I would still go for Fibre to The Cabinet (VDSL), but the 40/10 product rather than the 80/20 - it is a more up-to-date and reliable service, and I suspect the price difference is not much. (£4.00 -  just checked)

John
bmc
Hero

@NewCustomer1 

Thanks for the results. Makes much more sense - you do have higher speeds available but chose the ADSL product as it suits your needs. Just the new line charge to deal with now which you need a staffie for.

Brian

pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Just guessing here...

Could it simply be a charge to install the 'new', now standard, 5C socket?

Normally these are installed, where needed, at zero cost - following an engineer visit because of any reported fault. As no fault has been reported so engineer has not been called out for that, and socket not used for 5 years, perhaps Openworld now charging fee to have engineer update socket at time of installation of line/broadband?

jab1
Legend

A very remote possibility, but highly unlikely I would think.

John