cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why cant we transfer phone number?

C-A-W
Grafter

Why cant we transfer phone number?

My mum had the same number for 50 years at the family home. Six months ago, she went into a care home a few miles away and we cancelled the landline service to the house and transferred her number to the care home. The house is still owned by her and is being renovated at the moment. 

She has moved rooms in the care home, so I asked if we can transfer her number to the new room. It seems that there is no line listed at the new room (although there is a phone point) and I was told that it was 50/50 whether her phone number would be lost in the process of setting up the line in the new room.

I asked if the phone number could be transferred back to the original property and the person I was speaking to typed the address in and said no, it couldn't be transferred back.

I am very confused. Why wouldn't it be possible to transfer the number back to the address where it has been used for so many years?

5 REPLIES 5
C-A-W
Grafter

Re: Why cant we transfer phone number?

I just thought - could it be something to do with fibre broadband being available in the care home but not at the original property?

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

More like PN don't do phone only anymore.

But I don't understand why you can't get it transferred to the new room.

C-A-W
Grafter

I'm happy to keep phone & broadband if we can keep the number.

Plusnet are saying that if they set up a line to the new room they would try to keep the number, but they can't guarantee it.

Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

Yeah I'm not sure why that is. BT website says 'You may be able to transfer your number within the same exchange'. I transferred my mums phone to PN at the same address but initially lost the number even tho' I informed them she had dementia and needed to keep the same number because she would never remember a new one. As soon as I was notified of the change I contacted PN and they were able to retrieve it. 

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Hello @C-A-W,

Thanks for getting in touch and I am sorry for any inconvenience that has been caused. We advise we can not guarantee you can keep a number due to a many different reasons, however in your case keeping the number in your case should not be a problem.

I also understand that you have PM'd a colleague advising this has been resolved. Please get back to us if you need any further assistance.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team