Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why am I getting this Rubbish ?????

30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Why am I getting this Rubbish ?????

And please dont insult me by saying it's my FILTER option ON..........

Screenshot-27.png

10 REPLIES 10
30FTTC06
Pro

Re: Why am I getting this Rubbish ?????

Really.............................................

Screenshot-28.png

30FTTC06
Pro

I despair....

You give me fast servers that are useless to me.

Screenshot-31.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you running Dnsmasq or something similar on local machines 192.168.0.12 and 192.168.0.15 ?

If so, what do you think their DNS settings are ?

30FTTC06
Pro

My router (Hub One) has 213.120.234.38,213.120.234.42

My cache has 212.159.6.9,212.159.6.10,212.159.13.49,212,159.13.50

Those BT servers are inside the filtering tear so pretty useless to me unless you know something I don't ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm curious because I've never had a GRC DNS benchmark graph that looks like that, with the green and blue bars on the local cache being noticeably greater than the DNSs that feed them, mine are typically say two thirds of the upstream resolvers. Maybe that's because your Plusnet lookups have packet/resolver loss.

Unfortunately I don't use Plusnet DNS at all now, so can't help with your problem.

30FTTC06
Pro

I'm filtering adds as well hence a slight increase in timmings.

Also having a headache routing My Samknows through another router which is causing a slowdown trying to test plusnets dns servers.. the box I'm trying to route through is too slow causing spurious results as traffic routes via that boxs gateway and is too slow as my network is Gigabit vs 100MB that it is routing through.

I have 2 gammers upstairs which isn't helping... thats more than likely testing/stretching the 1.8mbps upstream that i have, maybe crack are starting to appear!

And so it goes..... Crazy2

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@30FTTC06 There have been some odd instances reported where the Plusnet Safeguard has been on when it shouldn't be and visa-versa. Safeguard as I understand it, uses some BT Servers that are their sort of equivalent to OpenDNS which I assume you don't want to use from the way you've posted. Your current settings suggest that they could be being used,  have you been trying them out and haven't dropped your PPP session since turning them off?

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are not using Plusnet filtering, then wouldn't the easiest thing be to set your local servers to perhaps Google DNS, or some other fast local unfiltered DNS as identified by the GRC test ?

I would be using a different DNS anyway, because your test is showing all four Plusnet DNS servers as having packet/resolver loss, so that will cause unpredictable results.

Regarding gamers saturating your network and upsetting your DNS latency, have you got upstream QoS enabled on your internet facing router ?

30FTTC06
Pro

@Anotherone Have a mooch here.. https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/BT-dns/td-p/1338720

Bob said once on it can't be turned off!

@Anonymous I have no disire to use Google dns, As for qos, I expect plusnet to be taking care of that seeing as they shape the traffic. It's a 'Hub One' so I would say No unless it is hidden. I wanted plusnets dns from their DHCP as that would be a fair and even test no ? What is the point of testing BT dns which is given by the router when I pay plusnet to use their dns! I would go back the 2704n, but I quite like this Hub One even though we have a Huawei cab.

But I think that is for another thread!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I fully accept your reasoning and desire to use Plusnet DNS, however in the decade over which I have been testing DNS the Plusnet DNS has ALWAYS been either unreliable, dropping lookups, giving wrong results, and for most of that time about the slowest response time of the available DNSes.  Even your test results show all four Plusnet DNSes failed to respond to a significant number of lookup requests, AND the purpose of this topic was to report that they are also filtering you when you don't want it to.

I'm just trying to point out that over the many years that these issues have been reported, Plusnet have never managed to solve any of the problems I listed, and there is unlikely to be improvement any time soon.

I'm simply suggesting the best solution available to you is to choose an alternative DNS provider, as Plusnet fixing theirs is never going to happen.

Regarding upstream QoS, while you are correct that Plusnet do prioritize the download traffic in such a way to obtain the best throughput available based on the Current Line Speed, they CANNOT manage the packet flow control effectively because that depends on manipulating your upload traffic from your router to get the optimum balance between throughput and latency depending on the demands of your network. Unfortunately my understanding is that the "Hub One" doesn't have user settable QoS parameters, so controlling you outgoing QoS is not going to be possible - but it was worth asking, because it can be very effective in managing latency especially for gamers on busy networks.