cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will my connection be activated?

twheels
Dabbler

When will my connection be activated?

Engineer fitted socket on 19th, was due to be active by 20th. He said there was an issue at the exchange, and then I had automated delay notifications. I phoned plusnet on Thurs and was told they'd have an update in 48 hours. That's now passed and no news. I took a week off work to move house but I'm supposed to be working on Monday. Will I ever get back online?
22 REPLIES 22
twheels
Dabbler

Re: When will my connection be activated?

I had a call back yesterday (after I prompted you to give me one, which kind of defeated the point) and was told I would be active by midnight. Then I was sent follow up email saying it would be active by midnight on 27th.

Obviously I didn't get activated last night, and I'm still waiting. Can someone give me a straight answer?

Also, why would the phone call say midnight on 26th and then minutes later an email say midnight 27th? Do your staff understand how days work? Judging from the typos and weird grammar in the email, I don't hold out much hope.

What's the bet that I'm still not online tomorrow morning?

This has been an absolute farce. Lost a whole week of work.

The whole thing looks totally unprofessional and I wish I never ordered.
Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

Automated emails seem to refer to midnight as 00:00:00 whereas the actual dates are given as midnight 23:59:59 so if you were advised it’d go live last night and you’re not up and running now, it looks like there’s another issue Sad

I’d imagine that Plusnet are chasing their suppliers and passing on information they’ve received. It could be worth waiting a day for an update if there’s an open ticket in your account or try giving them another call to check the status. 

LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

Hi there @twheels.

Thanks for getting in touch, please accept my apologise for any issues experienced with your orders.

I can see our Provisioning Team are managing this for you here. The provisioning is held up as further groundwork is required for laying the line. A review date has been supplied by our suppliers Openreach and is on the ticket, I appreciate the frustration this may be causing you however progress before this date is unlikely unless the groundwork team suggest otherwise.

Our Provisioning Team will be in touch with you once they have an update of progress from Openreach on the review date, however if you need any further assistance on this please do not hesitate to get back in touch here.

Thanks - LF

twheels
Dabbler

Hi @LordFoul

I ordered this a month ago. Why was I able to order something which, in effect, was not actually available? At best, could this delay have been forseen so I could have actually made an informed decision and planned ahead accordingly? I thought a month was more than reasonable notice... apparently not.

Why have I paid an activation fee? What have I paid for, apart from a socket and a router that won't work without the activation?

Can anyone actually appreciate how ridiculous this situation is?

This has honestly screwed my employment situation so much I've had to take holiday because it's impossible to work. How much holiday am I going to have to take?

I appreciate it's not your fault and thanks for your apologies, but it's really not good enough at all.

Virgin can get me online within 4 days. Is it worth me sticking this out?
LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

Hi @twheels,

I realise the frustration this is causing and would advise I'm unable to advise you on whether you choose to stay with us or consider another provider so that decision would be yours to make, however it's not always possible to see what problems may be faced further down the line. Once the groundwork is done Openreach will advise us when the installation is to take place so the Provisioning Team will be in touch closer to the time.

The activation fee is often discounted so it's worthwhile having a look at your initial invoice.

Thanks - LF

twheels
Dabbler

@LordFoul

You're the only person who has mentioned 'groundwork' to me. I appreciate it's not always possible to see problems that may occur further down the line, but in this case it sounds like there wasn't even an existing line in the first place. Thanks for selling me that.

I suppose 29th will turn into 30th and so on. I need an actual realistic timeframe because I can't work. I should only be working from home during this period, and I can't.
twheels
Dabbler

@LordFoul

Surprise surprise, the work wasn't completed and I'm still not activated.

Now I'm off to my workplace, against covid guidelines, because I have no other option. Thanks.

Ordered over a month ago.

Please get Openreach to sort this out. Get a date and make them stick to it.
twheels
Dabbler

Still not activated.

Awful, awful service.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us @twheels 

I'm sorry for the delay with your order. I can see we chased this up yesterday morning and we were advised due to resourcing issues, an engineer's now scheduled to go out today. Due to the repeatedly missed promised dates we've been given I've raised an escalation with our suppliers to try to prioritise the work. 

The escalation likely won't get picked up until next week so if your service doesn't go live today, I'd hope that the escalation will try to put some pressure on the situation to get this resolved as soon as possible.

With regards to what the issue is, from reading the order notes on our suppliers portal, the engineer from the 19th October detected a fault on the line between the exchange and the cabinet which needs investigating.

We'll provide an update as soon as we know more. Apologies for the continued delay.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
twheels
Dabbler

@Gandalf

Thanks for your reply.

An engineer worked on the line this afternoon between 12-3pm, and said the line is working. However it is still not activated. When can I expect this to happen?
twheels
Dabbler

@Gandalf

Still not activated this morning. Off into work I go again.

This is honestly just absolutely ridiculous.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

The order's still open in our suppliers systems so I've got in touch with our suppliers helpdesk and I've been advised that line tests are passing so they're pushing the order to completion which should happen within the next 24-48 hours. 

Unfortunately there isn't much anybody can do to speed this process up as the completion of an order is automated. Our suppliers are doing the required system configuration to get the ball rolling for the system to complete it.

Once the order's completed in the supplier systems, we'll activate your account on our side which will trigger an email to advise your broadband's ready to use and after you've setup your router you should be able to connect.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thanks for your patience.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
twheels
Dabbler

I hope it will be activated by 6am Monday morning when I have to decide whether to get on a train or not.

The track record is not promising.

Thanks for your reply.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

While I appreciate the hassle and frustration, I'd advise allowing until the close of play on Monday or by Tuesday morning, because the relevant back-end team within Openreach who needs to progress the order so it can automatically complete, likely don't work weekends as far as I'm aware.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet