Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When do I get my router?

FIXED
JamesE
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

When do I get my router?

I joined PN a few weeks ago, to go live on January 4th. BT have confirmed that I am cut off on the 4th. The PN member centre says that I am to go live (fttc) at noon on the 5th. Under "hardware" it says "not ordered yet". As it is now only 4 working days to my hoped for transition to PN it seems that the router is being left very late. Having read other posts, I'm not convinced that PN have got this in hand and I can see myself being without Internet on the 5th.

HELP!

EDIT: I've just spoken to Sales and the chap said that they had new people and ordering the router is a two stage process and the second stage had not been done but he'd ordered it there and then but with no guarantee that it would be there for the 5th. Grrrr.

What if I hadn't phoned? This is not a very auspicious start to my relationship with PN, is it?

16 REPLIES 16
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: When do I get my router?

Do you still have a BT supplied router ?

If so, that will work with PlusNet , you just need to enter your PlsuNet username & password. It will need to be a Home Hub 5 or Smart Hub 6 if you're having Fibre.

The PN member centre says that I am to go live (fttc) at noon on the 5th

and the good news is that really means 00:00 on the 5th, which is trying to say that your connection will go live on the 4th , anytime up to midnight. Confusing aint it ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Welcome to the community forums @JamesE

What if I hadn't phoned? This is not a very auspicious start to my relationship with PN, is it?

We order routers 48 hours before an activation date so it arrives just in time.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
JamesE
Rising Star

@Gandalf, thanks for the welcome. I was somewhat concerned as at this time of year many days are not working days for many enterprises - I gather the routers come from somewhere in the North-East - and the post is not very reliable either. The member Centre, after my phone call, said something like "in the queue for our suppliers", now it says "awaiting processing". As this isn't going to happen until Tuesday at the earliest I shall be surprised, to say the least, if it arrives before Friday.

@Mister W, I am switching from copper to fttc as part of the migration - HOWEVER - I thought that I'd prepare myself for eventualities and I bought a Home Hub 5A on ebay as I had read the instructions of how to do it. I have it prepared with appropriate parameters, but I was hoping to try and do everything the official way. If the router doesn't arrive in time then I'll try the Hub 5.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I was somewhat concerned as at this time of year many days are not working days for many enterprises - I gather the routers come from somewhere in the North-East - and the post is not very reliable either.

Not quite sure where the routers come from, but I do see your point about the post being busy this time of year.

I'll pass your feedback on.

The member Centre, after my phone call, said something like "in the queue for our suppliers"

It was waiting for your broadband order to reach the 48 hour period before completion.

now it says "awaiting processing".

Routers are generally dispatched next day (or sooner in some cases) after ordering.

As this isn't going to happen until Tuesday at the earliest I shall be surprised, to say the least, if it arrives before Friday.

It'll be sent Royal Mail 1st class so I would expect you to receive it by then.

I believe we've offered you a goodwill gesture nonetheless.

EDIT: News just in. Routers are shipped from our warehouse in Northallerton.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

When the router is ordered depends on the day of activation. The New Year's bank holidays wouldn't have put things in jeopardy.
Not sure what the talk of 'two step process' is, the router will typically be sent via automation with no human interaction required Huh

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

two step process

Probably referring to adding the component on the account and then ordering it.

But yeah I agree that the bank holidays shouldn't have delayed things.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Fix
Yeah, would have got ordered by the system if left. Fact the order got manually placed today means it should arrive Wednesday. That said, if the order was placed pre-midday, it'll probably turn up tomorrow.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

JamesE
Rising Star

@bobpullen You were absolutely right. It arrived in this morning's post, to my great relief. I admit that I panicked early but there are so many tales on this Forum concerning lack of delivered routers and the closeness of activation at this holiday period that I do feel somewhat justified. Would it not be better to actually state in the Member Centre something to the effect of "We will be posting your router, first class post, on the 2nd January" - or better still, not leave it so late - just in case.

Anyhow, thanks to all. We must now see if Openreach get their act together on the 4th.

Do I take it that the router has already been set up with my user name and password?

azc
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

It should auto-configure when connected

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Do I take it that the router has already been set up with my user name and password?

The PN supplied routers autoconfigure. They're supplied with a standard username (setup@plusdsl.net ). They initially connect using those credentials and and then configure themselves with your username by using the router serial number which is registered against your account.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JamesE
Rising Star

@MisterW wrote:

The PN supplied routers autoconfigure. They're supplied with a standard username (setup@plusdsl.net ). They initially connect using those credentials and and then configure themselves with your username by using the router serial number which is registered against your account.

Interesting.Thanks for that info. I presume that that's why the book says, apropos initial start up, to leave it alone for 5 minutes and make a cup of tea!

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Yup!.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'm glad to hear your router has arrived.

Speedy delivery for this time of year.

Would it not be better to actually state in the Member Centre something to the effect of "We will be posting your router, first class post, on the 2nd January" - or better still, not leave it so late - just in case.

It's feedback we've passed on in the past, so hopefully things do change soon.

We must now see if Openreach get their act together on the 4th.

No delays so far. Hopefully it goes through smoothly. Normally you'd receive notification that your phone order has completed first, then a notification to advise the broadband order has completed.

As long as you hold off in setting the router up until you've received notification that your broadband order has completed, the router should auto-configure itself to our TR069 servers.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): I have changed the fix to @bobpullen as per message #8.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still