cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What speed can I really get if I switch?

FIXED
mnslaker
Dabbler

What speed can I really get if I switch?

Plusnet's speed checker says I can get Fibre (presumably that's FTTC) with an estimated speed of 8 to 14Mb downstream (presumably that's megabits per second) and 1Mb upstream.

I've just had a phone call from a company claiming to have run a line test and promising over the phone, but not in writing, a speed of 15.72MBit/sec both upstream and downstream.  They claim to be BT resellers, so this is presumably exactly the same service that Plusnet would offer.  However, the other company offers services aimed at business, rather than domestic use.

Why are the speeds so different?  Is it the case that Plusnet caps the upstream bandwidth at 1MBit/sec but this other company doesn't?  Or is Plusnet's speed-checker just being very conservative?  Can we stay with Plusnet (and keep our force9.co.uk email address) and get the kind of speed that the other company is offering?

6 REPLIES 6
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Re: What speed can I really get if I switch?

Hi @mnslaker 

Have you tried this link https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome 

It will give a better indication on what your phone line can offer for ADSL and VDSL, I wouldn't trust cold calls regarding any service.

Hope this helps

Dan.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Order

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
mnslaker
Dabbler

Thanks, Dan.  This is what I saw:

BTBroadbandAvailability.png

TBH, I don't think this site is really aimed at me 🙂

I can see that FTTC is available.  But if that's the same thing that's described further down as "WBC Fixed Rate" then the predicted speed is horrible and I should just stick with ADSL.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Fix
Your Fibre speeds are the top two rows 'VDSL'
There isn't much if any improvement over ADSL.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
mnslaker
Dabbler

Thanks @dvorak .  It sounds as if the other company is making promises it can't keep.  We'll stay with Plusnet.

Cheers,

Markus

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Cheers for your post @mnslaker 

I thought I’d post more to set expectations about keeping your Force9 emails if you do ever leave us. In a nutshell, the answer’s basically sadly no, because there’s no Force9 Mail package we can move you to.

In theory we can put you on the Plusnet Mail package, but reinstating your F9 email addresses would be a bit of a bodge in the systems with no guarantee it’d work. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet