cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens when you order Plusnet on a house move ?

FIXED
Mark63
Rising Star

What happens when you order Plusnet on a house move ?

Our lad is moving out, and into his flat on Sept 10th Thumbs_Up

He exchanged contracts on Sept 3rd, and ordered Plusnet FTTC  on that day.

The info says at least 10 working days for the service to be activated. That's fine, there's no rush.

I'm just interested to know the process ?

I think the present owners of his flat are on BT Broadband, (because I saw a BT Hub plugged in and glowing away) no idea if it's ASDL or FTTC, but probably FTTC, because line length at that location is several miles and the quoted max speed is just 3 Mb/s.

Presumably to avoid any 'slamming' etc, nothing will progress until the present owners have reacted to the 'sorry you are leaving us' letter from BT, and/or made moves to transfer (or otherwise) their service to their new house ?

What's the internal BTOR and PN process from now until activation ?

6 REPLIES 6
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: What happens when you order Plusnet on a house move ?

Hi Mark,

You've identified most of the key considerations here...

• Has the user placed a service cease order with their supplier?
  • There is (at least) a 10 (working) day lead time for the provision of service in order to inhibit service slamming

There are a number of potential "fall outs" here which might impact PlusNet's provisioning journey...

1. An existing cease order on a line will inhibit any other ISP from placing an order on that line until the cease has been fulfilled - at that time the new ISP can again seek to raise an order.  Given that is not a working line take over, it might complete faster than 10 days … if it is FTTC and an engineer visit to the cabinet is required, then lead time is very much constrained by engineer availability
  2. If there is no cease order on the line and the existing user receives a "servicing moving away" notice, they might instruct their current supplier to bounce the order … requiring your son's provider to need to restart the process.

In cases such as the above, it is not always clear to users that some third party has scuppered PlusNet's order … there is good wisdom in keeping your own watch on the order's progress (or lack of it) by inspecting the provisioning ticket, which can be found by following the link below.

There is equally the possibility than none of the potential pit-falls will be visited upon you and all will swimmingly well for your son!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mark63
Rising Star

Ah, many thanks, that link is useful, and reveals the following notes made just after the order was placed:-

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your current provider has placed a cease on your line, which is due to complete on 17-09-2018.

Your order will be delayed until the cease has cleared. You can either:

1. Contact your current provider to remove the cease order
2. Wait until the cease completes

In either case, you don't need to contact us. We'll proceed with your order as soon as the cease has cleared and we'll contact you again to confirm your activation date.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Presumably in this context 'your current provider' is the present owner's provider (probably BT) ? Has

that cease instruction been applied by BT because of my son's order with PN, or because the present flat owner has applied

to BT to remove/transfer the service ?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Fix

It is in the context of the current provider's order and yes it will have been place by their provider, which could be anyone.

Cease orders never arise out of a gaining provider seeking to take over a working line.  The absence of a cease order removes one source of a delay.

In the presence of the cease order, there will be a supply lead time AFTER the post cease order has been raised.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there.

I don't think there's much more I can add than what Townman's already said, except once the cease order completes the lead time would largely depend on how we place the order.

We could either place an order to restart the phone line which should happen within 1 working day(Assuming it is a BT line), then we'd wait 1 working day for line records to update to show broadband is available to order.

Once this is done we should be able to place the fibre order which bears a lead time of 5 working days but can be delayed depending on engineer availability.

Or, we could place a simultaneous phone and fibre order which means both services activate on the same day, but as it's a combined order the lead time is generally around 10 working days(Again depending on engineer availability).

Our lad is moving out, and into his flat on Sept 10th Thumbs Up

And probably most importantly, best of luck to your son with his new place!

Feel free to let me know if he needs any help regarding his order with us.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mark63
Rising Star

Hi Gangalf,

He has no interest at all in the voice circuit, so the preferable option would be (ironically !)

restart the phone line order, then next working day start the fibre order ?

What's the best method (and time) to initiate that choice ?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Ah fair, in this case yeah option 1 may be quicker!

If you can send me a PM with his address I'll be happy to make sure we go down this path when the line ceases.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet