cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens when a new Plusnet broadband/phone service is created?

FIXED
beemerbiker

What happens when a new Plusnet broadband/phone service is created?

I'm planning to install broadband at the house of my 98-yr-old mother who has a failing memory and failing eyesight and finds it difficult to manage appointments etc. The idea is that she can use Amazon Echo/Alexa to remind her what's on today, and so we can set reminders for her and remotely edit her connected Google Calendar. We will control her Alexa/Echo remotely from 300 miles away. She currently has landline phone only with TalkTalk, but I'm thinking she should switch to Plusnet phone plus broadband (either ADSL or fibre).

My question is what happens when she (or me, in practice) initiates a change in provider request to Plusnet to supply say anytime phone plus fibre broadband? 

What I would like to see happen is that (1) the landline phone service is seamlessly switched without her seeing any confusing glitch in service, and (2) the internet is 'connected' but without any technical involvement from her (she has no smart device), so that (3) when I travel up there a week later I can use the new internet from day one via my own iPhone or iPad to set up her Alexa/Echo devices. I'm happy to plug in a modem/router and set up a password etc, but what I don't want is to find out there will be an unexpected 24-hour delay before the service is live, coz I will need to get back south again quite soon.

Is what I describe feasible? What does happen, in detail?

Many thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: What happens when a new Plusnet broadband/phone service is created?

Fix

Thanks for your post @beemerbiker and apologies for the delayed response.

When we transfer a landline phone service from TalkTalk this will entail us importing the telephone number and sending an engineer to connect the line on to BT equipment at the exchange (assuming it's not already on BT kit, TalkTalk generally use their own equipment that's known as LLU - Local Loop Unbundled).

In the vast majority of cases this normally happens the same day with only a few hours or less of downtime, but as with anything unpredicted problems can occur such as an equipment fault when the engineer goes out.

If there's no broadband currently on the line then an engineer will connect the line to the broadband equipment normally the same day, that'd either be at the exchange if you've ordered standard broadband or at the cabinet (The green box in the road) if fibre broadband. A broadband order can take up to midnight to complete on the day we advise beforehand.

Again there may be unforeseen issues on the day and the broadband activation might get delayed, particularly if there's never been a broadband service on the line before as it wouldn't be tried and tested so to speak.

If your mother doesn't currently use broadband I'd imagine if there is a delay with that, it wouldn't cause much of an issue for her, so it may be worth waiting until we've confirmed that the broadband order has completed before you make your trip across the country to set up the router. 

I hope this helps. Let us know if you've got any further queries or concerns though (If you do place an order with us, feel free to send me a private message with the account username and I'll be happy to keep a close eye on it for you)

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
beemerbiker

Thanks for the really full and reassuring reply -- just what I wanted! All looks good. I'm planning to go ahead.

But can I just ask one supplementary question?

My elderly mother uses a neck pendant and her house includes emergency pull cords. These rely on the landline phone connection for their operation. I'm sure they'll continue to work with the Plusnet landline connection, but will their robustness reduce a bit? I'm thinking if she had a power cut in her area tomorrow then her landline phone would carry on working because I think it's externally powered independent of her mains electricity. What would happen after she'd moved to Plusnet fibre broadband and phone?

The answer, whatever it is, is not a deal breaker, but I'd like to be aware of the situation.

Many thanks.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Orders

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Kdog
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 9

The service change shouldn't impact the alarm. Openreach lines have a small current running down them to power low use items like a standard corded landline phone, which I imagine is going to be much the same as you have now, after all, the only infrastructure change is possibly at the exchange so there should be no difference at the property.

Also worth mentioning that if a careline is in use the line would qualify for welfare case/priority repair in the event of a landline fault. Once active, theres a form you can fill in on the account or over the phone to make plusnet aware of this.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to me @beemerbiker 

No problem, as @Kdog has indicated that should work in the same way with us as it does currently.

Let me know if there are any issues or if you've any further queries.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet