cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does 'Automation failure in our application' mean?

JonoVo2
Dabbler

What does 'Automation failure in our application' mean?

8th March - Ordered home phone + Fibre BB.

16th March - Order cancelled for an unknown reason.

28th March - Order resubmitted transfer date 11th April.

11th April - Phone transferred but no bb connection. Previous supplier (BT) discontinue service.

12 April - Told bb will be up and running within 24 hours - Received email saying bb is up - 6 hours later still no connection so contact Plusnet to be told that Plusnet have received a message from their supplier:

And here's my point,

"Please be advised that the order is delayed due to an automation failure in out application. The application support team is working on this issue. Request to review it on 27/4/2017"

Can anybody tell me what this actually means? What's the chance of it being sorted before it's 'reviewed'? Why on earth was I cutoff before the transfer was ready to complete?

like everybody these days we rely very heavily on BB for home working etc. and this is far from acceptable.

Trying to remain calm.

Thanks.

45 REPLIES 45
JonoVo2
Dabbler

Re: What does 'Automation failure in our application' mean?

The fact that it's going to be 'reviewed' in 15 days time!! is not only unacceptable but doesn't instill a great degree of comfort that this is going to be resolved any time soon.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 157

Hi @JonoVo2,

A warm welcome to the forums.  For a full answer you'll need a staffer to respond, however I could take some guesses here for you.

Did (by any chance) you tell your old provider that you were quitting with their services?  There is a massive issue with the way BTw / BTOR manage the lines which they rent out to CPs & ISPs ... there can only ever be a single order on a line.

If you tell the existing (loosing) supplier that you are quitting their services, they place a "cease service" order on the line.  That TOTALLY INHIBITS a new (acquiring) provider from placing a "provide" order (transfer service supply) until AFTER the loosing supplier's "cease service" order completes.  In such circumstances, Any attempt by an acquiring ISP to place an order will be rejected by BTw.  There is then no point in the acquiring provider attempting to place the order again until after the execution of the cease order.  This is why one should NEVER tell the loosing supplier that you are moving elsewhere.

Whilst this is very common it is not the only cause of order processing issues - there are massive issues with the data which BTw / BTOR uses to manage their lines being wrong.  A slight miss-match in the property address will cause orders to fail and it can take many days to get BTw to fix the issues.

Then again there is human error ... at which point one needs help from one of the fixers ... @Darkfire

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Tags (1)
JonoVo2
Dabbler

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
As far as I'm aware I didn't ask BT to cease in advance. I filled in the switching BB application on the Plusnet website I got a 'boo, sorry you're leaving' email and a 'hurrah, thx for joining' email.
It's all gone wrong since.
JonoVo2
Dabbler

So I've patiently waited the 15 days knowing that in reality nothing was being done to solve my problem. I've heard nothing from Plusnet other than an email a couple of days ago telling me I must be thrilled with my connection speed of 78 Mbps seeing as I should only be getting 40-50 mpbs.

Its now been 18 days since I was cutoff by BT (no I didn't ask them to cancel it was just a fibre to fibre switch) and 51 days since my order was first placed with Plusnet.

Is anyone actually doing anything about this?

What actually is the problem?

I had a working fibre connection the day before the switch why is it proving impossible to provide a connection now?

Why do Plusnet allow themselves and their customers to get fobbed off by OR with vague "ask again in 15 days time" type replies?

Its question 147718606 User jharrisbr8 if somebody could look at this for me, I really would be very grateful.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Darkfire - sorry to ask (I know it's not your department / role ...but!) - can you please assist here?  I've raised a query on this topic elsewhere, but the user needs PN assistance which I cannot offer.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JonoVo2
Dabbler

Thanks for taking an interest Townman.

The question has been updated after asking for help on twitter.

The line is in a state where a connection cannot be made as the original order was cancelled (I know that see post 1 above) and I will receive an update next week.

So after being told to wait 15 days, nothing, absolutely nothing, was done to resolve this problem. No one looked at it, no one was working on it. Yet Plusnet have happily taken £222 from my bank account for line rental, adsl and activation. I only rent the line in the first place for a broadband connection.

I've had to chase up my order at every turn. Why was it cancelled? Where's my router? (which I already know has been supplied configured incorrectly), Why is it not activated?, Its been 18 days and it's still not working...

Unless I've chased it up, the comms I've received from Plusnet are:

'You're connected' - Nope!

'You're getting 78 Mbps' - I wish!

Switching to Plusnet is proving to have been a disastrous decision. If you must blame suppliers at least take ownership. I am your customer, I've paid you for services not received. You should be chasing this up on a regular basis on not just accepting "Ask again in 15 days" replies.

Shambolic and wholly unacceptable service.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi there,

Firstly let me apologise for the delay in response.

Unfortunately the order we placed went in to a delay, and then ultimately cancelled off. This has happened in a manner where the 'tags' on the line are showing incorrect meaning we cannot replace another order today. I've requested our suppliers to correct this and as soon as that's happened we'll get another order in place and aim to expedite this for as early a date as possible. I've responded to the support ticket on your account too.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
JonoVo2
Dabbler

Day 24 with no internet.

I've received regular updates for which I'm grateful.

- There are erroneous tags on your line

- The tag issue has been solved

- A new order has been placed

At last I feel I'm getting somewhere, and then today:

" Our suppliers have informed us there is an open order on your line so we are unable to proceed. They have informed us this should be resolved by the 9th May"

For the love of God how can there still be an open order on the line? If the tags have been cleared how can the line, after all this time, still not be in a state where an order can be placed.

I am lost for words. This level of ineptitude is simply astonishing.

Can somebody please tell me what is going on without starting the sentence with "Our suppliers". 

Surely somebody in Plusnet can escalate this issue and get it resolved.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Sorry for the continued inconvenience

I can assure you we've escalated this as far as we have and as soon as the records issue is resolved we'll place your order and expedite it.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
JonoVo2
Dabbler

So how difficult would it have been to check the tags and check there's no open order on the line at the same time? or is that being too proactive?

After the last round of problems how difficult could it be to check 'Will this line be in a state where we can proceed?'

It's been 57 days since I placed my order! Seriously, none of this adds up and I think I'm being lied to.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Sadly that's the way BT operate as I've sought to expose here and elsewhere. They can only see as far as the current obstacle - that is why ISPs such as PlusNET end up looking shoddy needing to raise escalation after escalation, bridge case after bridge case to fix BTw/BTOR infrastructure record errors. This is a reoccurring BTw / BTOR failure scenario - all ISPs get is wait (another) 48 hours for each encountered issue.

In my personal experience a direct complaint to the CEO of BT and the CEO of BT Openreach has opened up additional channels for PlusNET but it still took BT weeks to get their act together.

Regrettably the blame does lay with PlusNET's suppliers and they answer to no one, not even parliamentary committees. When things go wrong it goes pear shaped big style and Sharon White at Ofcom appears willing to allow them to get away with it ... but would one expect anything different from a fast tracked treasury mandarin with zero experience of the telecoms indusrty? Yes the issue starts at the top of the industry regulators.

JonoVo2
Dabbler

Today marks exactly one month since I lost my connection following a simple fibre to fibre switch.

The last update was that there was an open order stuck in the suppliers systems and that it would be resolved on the 9th May...and guess what?...that's right..."our suppliers have yet to resolve the issue please check back on 12th May."

In this time I've been charged for line rental (solely for internet), an activation fee and the first months BB payment. My wife has been unable to work from home and has incurred travelling costs and inconvenience. The whole family has had to buy more data from their mobile networks not to mention Netflix/Spotify/Tidal subscriptions etc. which have been all but useless.

To rub salt in the wounds I receive an email today informing me my next months BB payment will soon be taken from my bank account.

Shame on Openreach who are simply not fit for purpose. Shame on senior Plusnet management who are unable to pressure OR for unacceptable delays and shame on the regulator for not getting a grip on this situation.

"Thankyou for your continued patience" yeah...like I've got a choice!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@JonoH - is there no way of sorting out your supplier's failures here? At what point will BT accept the task of just getting the job done ... irrespective of each micro issue they encounter?

Seems a complete outrage that BT will be charging Plusnet for a phone line which cannot be used for its intended (sole) purpose of delivering a broadband service. Their inability to do this provide proficiently must have cost Plusnet a fair few quid in exception management activity ... I do hope that plusnet will receive compensation from BT rather than those costs being visited on the end users through collective price rises?

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

JonoVo2,

I'm disappointed to see this is still ongoing.

I'll make sure we get straight on to chasing our suppliers for the update on the records (TAGS) issue tomorrow to make sure we're expediting our side of things.

With regards to payments we will refund you for any down time incurred as soon as the broadband service becomes active.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team