Did you mean: 

Upgrading to Fibre: Need to retain Static IP

shuttle
Hooked

Upgrading to Fibre: Need to retain Static IP

Hi Plusnet,

My upgrade to Fibre is promised for 10th May. I received a text today saying:
"Hi from Plusnet. Your router is in the post, it'll arrive in a few days."
Hope it arrives tomorrow 9th May as I don't want the router to arrive after the change over.

On the day, will I receive a text giving advance notice of the change taking effect?

Also, I have a Static IP and need to retain this, i.e. I need to retain the exact same Static IP address.

I saw a old post asking customers to post reminders about things like this to help ensure they are processed correctly.

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Upgrading to Fibre: Need to retain Static IP

Hi there.

We'll keep your static IP the same through a product change (or house move).

Regarding your router I'd expect you to receive this in time, because unfortunately your upgrade has been delayed to 13/05/2019 due to engineer availability in your area. Sorry that we didn't make you aware of this. Once the upgrade has completed we'll let you know via e-mail although you'll probably know before then as your connection would drop for around an hour. When your connection has dropped if you then plug your router in, you'll know the work has been carried out when the connection comes back up and hopefully at much faster speeds.

If you want to plug your router in as soon as you get it instead that will also work as the Hub One is compatible with both standard broadband and fibre.

Let us know if you need any further assistance at all.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
shuttle
Hooked

Ok, so, the fibre upgrade went through just fine today. Thanks.

HOWEVER, this evening I get an email from Plusnet saying my Plusnet Protect Service that gives me free McAfee security software has been CANCELLED!!!!

What the hell? I only de-installed my previous security software and installed the McAfee last week!!!!

What’s going on?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Sorry to hear this.

It sounds like you've gone to Unlimited Fibre which makes Plusnet Protect a chargeable service at £2 per month. It's only completely free of charge on standard broadband and Unlimited Fibre Extra, although I do believe you can get it 3 months free first. More information regarding this can be found here: https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/protect/

If you want to re-add the service to your account you can do this from the Add-Ons page Here.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
shuttle
Hooked

You’re not as sorry to hear this as I am. In my opinion this is really shoddy behaviour by Plusnet.

At no point in the upgrade process was this extra £2 per month cost highlighted to me.

Also.... why was it simply cancelled without anyone contacting me?

i now presume the software serial numbers have been invalidated so I would have to get some more serial numbers and update my config..... and yet you say it is free for the first 3 months, of which I am only one week in.

If you were truly sorry for the inconvenience you would not have caused me the inconvenience in the first place!

shuttle
Hooked

I was a really happy customer with my new Fibre service.

That lasted about 5 hours until this Plusnet Protect cancellation without any notice.

Poor customer service.

A good lesson in how to very quickly destroy the goodwill you had just gained.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Sorry that you feel this way.

I've added a reply onto a support ticket on your account with an offer for a gesture of goodwill, which you can view and reply to by going here: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=190141599

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
shuttle
Hooked

Thank you. I have replied on the ticket.

There is still a question of the status of my current McAfee software installs - it takes a bit of time and hassle to deinstall/reinstall/configure on 2 PCs so I want to avoid having to do that.

I would like to have the currently installed McAfee Serial Numbers reactivated (assuming they have been deactivated - which has not been confirmed but I assume is the case otherwise the Plusnet Protect cancellation would have had no effect).

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us.

Unfortunately we have no way to manually configure the service, it's basically an on/off switch I'm afraid so you'll need to uninstall the program then re-download and re-install it. Apologies again for the inconvenience this causes. I've added a reply to your support ticket now, let us know if you'd still want to go ahead.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet