cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading from broadband to fiber, in the dark.

FIXED
krf45
Hooked

Upgrading from broadband to fiber, in the dark.

Hello, long story short, we ordered the upgrade by phone a few days ago for both the internet from "Unlimited Broadband" to "Unlimited Fibre Extra Broadband" and a slightly different phone package, unfortunately after that we have not received a date of any sort.  

We were warned it would usually (but not guaranteed) to be in about 12 days and that the modem etc would be shipped the day prior to the change date, well, the modem came in the next day and since then the account states 'pending' for the fiber with a date prefix of "01/01/1970".  Its not been 12 days so fair enough but, any help in knowing when we might expect the change to happen would be welcome. 

12 REPLIES 12
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: Upgrading from broadband to fiber, in the dark.

Fix

Keep an eye on BT's Broadband Availability site here.

Once your order has been placed it will show up there as an open order along with the expected install date.

krf45
Hooked

There is an open order on your line which is due to complete by 14-Aug-2017.

Excellent, thanks for the assistance.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Let us know how the activation goes. I'd expect you to receive an automated email in the early hours of the morning, advising that your product change is complete but the actual work should be carried out by the evening.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MarcusQ
Dabbler

Hi Gandalf, I've been having the same issue as the OP. I was told that my upgrade would occur on the 18th of August yet there has been no change to my connection speed. I checked my account page and also noticed the "01/01/1970" date next to my fibre order, so I then checked availability using the above link which says FTTC is currently available, so I'm not sure why it hasn't been activated yet.

Browni
Aspiring Hero

Did you check the BT Broadband availability site in post #2?
MarcusQ
Dabbler

Yes. It says it's avaiolable

Browni
Aspiring Hero

Does it show an open order?
MarcusQ
Dabbler

Okay I had another look and it says there's an open order to be completed by 1st September. Presumably this is when it actually gets activated? Kind of annoying; I feel I was mislead to believe it would be activated today.

Browni
Aspiring Hero

Unfortunately that does sound like when it will be activated.
I'm just a customer like yourself so don't have any more info.
howardbut

Similar issue and the upgrade is now overdue. The BT site report open order to be completed by 18-Aug-2017. What can I do to follow up the case?

MarcusQ
Dabbler

I had another look at my chat transcript when ordering the fibre upgrade and they said, "I have ordered the new router for you and you will be on the faster speeds on the 18th August." So yes, the member of staff pretty much lied to me and I still haven't received any explanation for the activation delay. Very disappointed.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

@MarcusQ

We requested your fibre service to go live on the 18th. Unfortunately this has been delayed by Openreach because of engineer availability in your area. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

@howardbut

It looks like the engineer was unable to find the cabinet and the job has been passed to another engineer tomorrow. Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet