Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading at a time of coronavirus

FIXED
Collarbone
Fixes: 1

Upgrading at a time of coronavirus

Hi folks,

I'm thinking about upgrading to Fibre but wanted to understand what the process was for upgrading. Have been on same pack for about 5 years now so things have changed I guess.

I have a NetGear D6400 router which is (I believe ) andADSL/VDSL router... 

What is the process for upgrading? Is it that I have to wait for an openreach engineer to do something to local box and then everything just moves over? Would it work as seamlessly with my Netgear?

What's the likely downtime going to be? Don't want to get caught out as my job may not be that forgiving...

General time to complete are a 2-3weeks from what I managed to find online - is that the case? I'm guessing that with the current situation there could be some delay. Don't particularly care about that, as long as nothing happens to my current connection in the meantime

Thanks in advance!

7 REPLIES 7
LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

Re: Upgrading at a time of coronavirus

Hi there @ collarbone,

Thanks for getting in touch.

I appreciate you wanting to upgrade to Fibre and would advise with you currently being with us our suppliers will do all the work necessary at the local distribution point, without you having to have an engineer visit your property. You will be supplied with a new router as the Netgear one you have will not work on Fibre. I would not envisage downtime being more than a couple of hours on the day on average, as your connection is swapped and the Fibre signal is switched on.

Openreach typically quote 10 working days for installation however the current health situation is changing rapidly so may well impact upon timescales, as appointments are based on engineer availability in your area.

If you'd like to discuss this please feel free to speak to our 0800 013 2632 between the following hours:

Monday - Friday: 08:00 - 20:00
Saturday: 09:00 - 19:00
Sunday: 09:00 - 18:00

Take care and thanks - LF

Collarbone

Cheers LordFoul, no need to contact, haven't got an issue with lead times as understand at the moment probably more important things to deal with.

Was more concerned about downtime during upgrade as employer may not take kindly to me working from home without internet.:)

dvorak
Fixes: 1,451

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Orders

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 44

@Collarbone  Your Netgear 6400 is a VDSL2 router and will work on PlusNet, so ignore what @LordFoul said. It is probably better than the rather flaky PlusNet Hub1 router which has an ongoing problem with 5Ghz Wi-Fi connections for some users. If you want the Hub1 as a spare I think they only charge for £6.99 for postage. I have never used an ISP supplied modem/router as they are usually rather cheap and lacking in configuration options.

Collarbone

Thanks RealAleMadrid - I thought that was the case but to be sure have added the Plusnet router in my order just to be safe Wink

I like my netgear having set it up as I like, and I also like the look of it on my bookshelf Cheesy

Estimate is 31/3 for activation but of course I don't really expect that to be the case in the current situation... Hopefully though won't be getting charged extra until the upgrade happens.

Collarbone

So finally router arrived this week and the line was due to be upgraded today.

This seems to have happened but I've now been without internet since about 8.45 this morning... Really frustrating as I lost a day's work as had to take as holiday. I was expecting maximum couple of hours downtimes...

Phoned Plusnet who said it's likely to activate overnight. I'm sceptical but will see...

Really hope I'm not without internet all Easter weekend!
Collarbone

Fix
Just to close this thread, spoke to a lovely lady just now (Rhana?) who asked me to leave the router connected for longer as she could see the connection was ok. Turns out the line was working even if my Netgear router wasn't. Afte a few mins on line, light turned blue and all was connected!

Really glad I ordered the Plusnet as a backup but now to investigate why the Plusnet one doesn't work...