cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded to Fibre but connection not switched on time

Richard461
Dabbler

Upgraded to Fibre but connection not switched on time

I placed an order to upgrade my broadband from standard ADSL to fibre last week. The order was accepted and I was given a switch over date of 30th April 2020. Nothing happened yesterday and I have received no communication at all from Plusnet. I have received my new router and set this up correctly.

To give a bit of back story, the estate where I live was built 4 years ago and was not connected to fibre broadband. Fibre became available last week and I immediately placed an order. Lots of other people on the estate have received their fibre connections today and are currently running at full speed, whereas I am not. 

I cannot contact Plusnet via the phone or live chat so the forum is my last resort. Can anybody give me an idea of why my connection date was missed and when I can expect to receive my fibre internet?

18 REPLIES 18
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Upgraded to Fibre but connection not switched on time

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from Fibre Broadband to My Orders.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@Richard461 

The minimum time for a fibre upgrade is a week and that's often delayed due to BT engineer availability.

Unfortunately the notification of any delay often gets 'lost'

Put your phone number into the bt speed checkerhttps://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

In the text after the speed estimates, you should see a line saying ' there is an open order due to complete on...'

That's the date your upgrade to fibre is planned to happen.. 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Richard461
Dabbler

@MisterW 

Just tried that link (and I have been on before) and nothing about an open order, I've attached the result.

I know lots of other people on the estate have switched this morning and are now getting up to 80Mbps download, whilst I'm stuck on 3Mbps

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

There's no text displayed on the result youve posted.

Are you sure there's nothing in the narrative below the speed estimates ?

If not , then it sounds like your order hasn't been placed, although that usually causes the router not to be despatched either !

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Richard461
Dabbler

@MisterW 

I've taken a new screenshot including the text which I've attached. Nothing about an order date at all. The order tracker on the Plusnet website says my order is complete and my broadband is ready to use. When I login to my member dashboard it says I have a product change request in progress so something has been placed, and the new router arrived days ago.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Richard461  thanks for confirming that there's no open order.

As to the discrepancy between the order tracker and the website, I'm afraid that's not uncommon! The actual upgrade order and progress thereof is handled by automation and when something goes wrong its possible that an automated update doesnt happen , or gets lost🙄.

As I said earlier, its unusual for a router to be dispatched if the upgrade is delayed, whilst the order tracker might not get any updates, the dispatching system usually does! and that aims to get the router to you 'just in time' . So somewhere must think the upgrade has happened!

When you say nothing happened yesterday , just to be sure that it didn't , and there's just a profiling issue, can you post the results from the helpdesk display from the router ( redact your username ). Login to the router gui,  click troubleshooting and then helpdesk . That will tell us definitively whether youre still on ADSL or not.  

Richard461
Dabbler

So I've managed to get through to customer services and spoke to Vakar who was incredibly helpful.

Basically it's an Openreach database issue. Their database says I don't have a fibre connection, when I actually do. It should be resolved by Tuesday next week.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Their database says I don't have a fibre connection, when I actually do.

I'm not quite sure I understand what they're saying there🙁 If it's what I think they're saying, its that your change to fibre has happened but that your profile is still restricting you to ADSL speeds.

OR are they saying that BT's database says fibre isnt available but it is really ? I would have thought that the system would not allow a fibre order to be placed in that case, and to get the order completed and done by Tuesday sounds VERY optimistic. More likely they mean the database MAY be corrected by Tues and then an order can be placed which will likely take 10 days!

Could you just humour me and post the helpdesk details from the router, that will confirm whether you are on a fibre connection or not irrespective of whether your profile is wrong. Basically Line 23 of the stats should say G993.2 for a VDSL (Fibre) connection and also the Data & MAx rates on lines 6 & 7 should show fibre like speeds irrespective of the profile.

Richard461
Dabbler

The order has definitely been placed, it should have been completed yesterday but is delayed due to this issue. It is just a network records update that needs to take place apparently.

Attached the stats from the router

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Ok, thanks for that. You are  definitely still on an ADSL connection, in fact its ADSL and not even ADSL2+.

The line 24 : Modulation G.992.1 is the give-away.

It is just a network records update that needs to take place apparently.

I'm not sure I believe that, to actually do the change from ADSL to Fibre will require an engineer to do some work at the cabinet to change your connection to Fibre.

At least you still have a connection, so lets see what happens on Tuesday...

Richard461
Dabbler

I guess I shouldn't be so impatient, I've had this connection speed for over 4 years so another few days won't hurt. Just very annoying when a lot of people I know got their switch today and are now enjoying fast internet speeds

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I guess I shouldn't be so impatient, 

Perfectly understandable, I'd be impatient if I had your current speeds🙂

Richard461
Dabbler

An update on this:

Surprise surprise, still no fibre connection. Spoke to Vakar again yesterday and he is supposed to be calling me back with an update from Openreach this afternoon. Apparently Openreach are now quoting the 14th May which I have said I am very unhappy with, having been originally told the 30th April! I've also mentioned that it's poor customer service that I was not informed of this delay in any way, I had to phone up and chase Plusnet to find out what's going on. 

I can see the street cabinet from my house, there has been an Openreach van there every day this week (including right now) so some work is obviously being done. Interestingly the BT wholesale checker doesn't say fibre is available for my number at all this morning, so I'm not holding my breath for a quick resolution. Again, incredibly frustrating when lots of people living around me have been upgraded already and my order is the one that has been screwed up

Richard461
Dabbler

Further update! The once again incredibly helpful Vakar has called me back and informed me exactly what's going on. Openreach discovered a fault on my line, which has been fixed now. The earliest I can get connected is the 11th of May so hopefully it will all be resolved on Monday.

Why Openreach can't be more transparent and actually inform the ISPs and ultimately the customer about what's going on I don't know