cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from Fibre to Fibre Extra

Hightower666

Upgrade from Fibre to Fibre Extra

A couple days ago I upgraded to Fibre extra. From reading online this switch should have happened overnight, but I’m now approaching 48-hours and nothing has happened in terms of improved speeds. Could someone take a look at this for me as I’ve read on these forums of a few cases of this not working as expected and manual intervention being required. Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Re: Upgrade from Fibre to Fibre Extra

Hi @Hightower666, thanks for getting in touch and welcome to our Community Forums.
I can see looking over your connection currently we're seeing 48Mbps download reaching your router which indicates that the cahnge over to Fibre Extra has gone through. It seems there may be banding on our suppliers side which is currently capping your speeds however as we sometimes see after a recent product change like this.
In which case, I've requested our faults team look into and remove any banding on the account which may be causing the lower than expected speeds and this should hopefully be resolved within the next 3 working days.
By all means, should you still be seeing speed issues come Wednesday morning then please feel free to give us a nudge on here and we can look to investigate this further for you.

Hightower666

Hi, it's better but I'm still not getting upload speeds quite as fast as I was expecting, could this be looked into a bit further please?

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Thank you for your response @Hightower666

You're right, something does appear to be a little odd with the upload speed at the moment, which is coming through at around 10.4Mbps, not something we see often. what I'd say for now is to monitor it over the next few days. Within the first 10 working days of a new broadband asset going live, speeds can fluctuate which may cause us to incorrectly assume that there's a fault on the line.

Keep an eye it throughout the coming week and let us know if this does not improve.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
Hightower666

Hi, I think it's been about 3 weeks since I ordered the upgrade now, still only getting about 7.5Mbps upload (after a speed test tonight)

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @Hightower666,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with your speeds. I've taken a look into your account and whilst I can see the speed seems to have increased somewhat since we last had a look, it's not quite where we'd want it to be. I've made a change to one of the settings on your account which should take affect in about 30-60 minutes time, after which I'd recommend rebooting the router and testing the speeds again. Please let us know whether or not they improve and we'll be happy to proceed with our investigation from there. It may also be worth setting your router up within the test socket in the property if you haven't already and we have a guide on this here.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Hightower666

Hi, so I've restarted the router and speeds aren't improved. I'm now in the test socket as well. Something else I've noticed since I requested the fibre upgrade is streaming services like BBC iPlayer buffer every 10-20 seconds and are unwatchable. These services were fine before I requested the upgrade.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Thanks a lot for your response @Hightower666

I'm sorry to hear that you're continuing to experience issues with your service. I've run some further tests on the line this morning which appear to show that the line is operating within estimated download speeds, however the upload speed on the line is still below that which was expected. Furthermore, an RRT has detected issues on the line, which will most likely need investigating.

Please go through out Broadband troubleshooting guide which you can find here

If the problems persist, please then head over to faults.plus.net. You'll be asked a series of questions on what you've done to troubleshoot the issue, before this then gets raised with our Technical Support Team It's likely that we'll need to raise a fault, and book an engineer appointment to investigate the problems on your line.

In regards to the drop outs on your TV, further questions need to be asked to provide further support. Is your TV connected via a wireless connection? If so, it might be worth downloading a WIFI analyser and setting your WIFI channel accordingly. It might also be worth splitting the SSID's (2.4GHz and 5GHz on your router, which will give you the option of which band to connect to. Ideally, if your TV is in the same room as your router, I'll ensure that it's connected to the 5GHz band which gives it greater wireless speeds, at the expense of a smaller range.

For tips to boost the WIFI service within the property, please click here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Blogs/How-to-boost-your-wi-fi/ba-p/1450193

For support in splitting the 5GHz and 2.4 GHz bands, please click here: https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Hub-One-5GHz-WiFi-issue/m-p/1696363

I'll pop my test results onto this post for your reference.

Capture.PNG

KBD
GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID  

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 57.7 Mbps
Upstream Speed 10.6 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 558.7
Upstream Rate Assessment Low
Downstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream traffic detected
Technology VDSL
Current 15Min Bin Retrains 0
Last 15Min Bin Retrains 0
DP Type External
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream 3dB, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2021-06-11T11:00:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 56.9 Mbps 57.7 Mbps 56.9 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 10.5 Mbps 10.6 Mbps 10.6 Mbps
Up Time 805.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.9 Sec
Retrains 0.0 1.0 0.0
 Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds