cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited broadband to standard fibre switchover..how long should it take?

zilmark
Hooked

Unlimited broadband to standard fibre switchover..how long should it take?

Hi,

Have finally switched over to standard fibre from bog-standard broadband.

This was placed on the 21st of July (the new hub2 arrived the next day) but I am still waiting for some sort of confirmation as to when i’m meant to set up the new hub.

Does anyone know how long this process usually takes?..it’s been over a week now..have tried communicating with plusnet via twitter but that’s a bit hit & miss at best.

Thanks in advance.

18 REPLIES 18
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Unlimited broadband to standard fibre switchover..how long should it take?

@zilmark You should have had email notification of the switch date - if you haven't (for some reason), try checking your Member centre for a Ticket/Question on the subject.

John
zilmark
Hooked

We’ve still had no notification of the switch date - i’ve checked the plusnet website but no communication from them since the day I rang them to switch over to fibre.

I’m not sure what’s involved in the process but Surely it should’ve been done by now?

jab1
Legend

Are you sure there are no ticket/questions on your account with regards to this? If you received the new Hub, the switch should be imminent.

Unfortunately, I can't see any of the Help Team around today - they seem to be very thin on the ground at weekends - but hopefully they will pick this up Monday.

John
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

My understanding is the Hub Two supports ADSL as well as VDSL so if you're feeling adventurous there is no reason why you can't start using your new Hub.

Hopefully the management system will know about your new Hub and will auto configure it but it does not to sign on follow these steps.

Using you preferred browser http://192.168.1.254 

From the home page navigate Advanced Settings >Broadband >Internet

You need to make sure you disconnection the connection

Add you plusnet broadband username and password and click on Connect

Come the day of switch over the DSL connection will drop and the Hub two will disconnect, once the connection restores it should reconnect 

HTH

Dan.

Dan.

jab1
Legend

Good thinking @Dan_the_Van - I was going to post similar, then got distracted. 😀

John
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@zilmark 

If you're moving from ADSL to FTTC then an Engineer needs to attend the cabinet supplying your property and "jump" a connection from the FTTC cabinet over to your phone cabinet - cabinets are "paired" for FTTC.

As already stated your new hub works with ADSL so there's no reason not to plug it in. Be aware this changes your Network identifier so you need to change all your devices to the new settings - or you could Log into the router's Wireless Management page and change it to your previous settings.

Somewhere in the router settings it'll tell you what protocal your'e on which tells you if it's ADSL or VDSL but I'm not certain where.

Brian

zilmark
Hooked

I’ve looked at my account & the last “communication” from plusnet was on the 21st when I instructed them to switch to standard fibre.

Like so many companies these days,it’s the lack of “communication” that makes me tear my hair out.

In response to the other replies,i’m not “tech-y” enough to start potching about..looks like i’ll have to make a phone call to plusnet on Monday.

Thanks anyway.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there,

I'm really sorry for the delay. I can see we've been keeping you updated on the progress by email via the ticket raised on your account Here. Having a look at what's been said, there was an issue with your address in the supplier systems which we've worked to fix and I can now confirm your fibre should go live on 10th August before midnight. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
zilmark
Hooked

Hi Gandalf,

Many thanks for the info - i’ve now found the previous messages (thanks to your link).

I’ve no idea what the issue was with the address/postcode details you had on your records ? - as I told the person on the phone this morning,our address has been the same for 50 years & the postcode the same for 20+ years.

Anyhow,Hopefully this morning’s call will resolve the issue once & for all and it can be up & running asap.

thanks again

zm.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

That may be the case, but your address doesn't exist under your postcode in the supplier (Openreach) systems. It's registered under a completely different postcode for one reason or another.

After we've done some digging to find out where your line is registered, we'd managed to place the order.

Once the order's completed, I can raise an ORDI (OpenReach Data Integrity) request to correct the supplier records, however there is a possibility that the request may have to come from the current phone provider of your line. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
zilmark
Hooked

I have zero idea what the issue with the postcode was - we’ve had the SA312LU code for 20+ years ...it’s never been SA312LR..the guy from plusnet this morning seemed to think it was registered to a Sheffield address whereas we’re in Carmarthen,South Wales...bizzarre to say the least & a giant [-Censored-]-up on somebody’s part.

“Hopefully” all will now get resolved before I miss any more subscription football.

zm.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

The Sheffield address is just a red herring. Long ago we used our office address when provisioning a broadband service, but this never meant anything as broadband is activated wherever the phone line is installed. 

I don't know why your phone line is registered at a wrong address. All I can see is that it is. Maybe something to take up with your phone provider, although even they may not know if it was installed so long ago. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
zilmark
Hooked

Well i’m scratching my head - our phone’s been here since 1988 & with BT..all our bills come to this address so I can’t explain what the problem is/was.

I’ve been given a switchover date now of the 11th/August anyhow so fingers crossed.

zm

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No worries, I'll try to update the records once the order's completed. Smiley

In the meantime, I've asked our suppliers if they're able to fast track the order through for us, but this may not be possible. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet