cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unattended switch from ADSL to VDSL

MG31
Hooked

Unattended switch from ADSL to VDSL

I have an older ADSL-only hub, and have just ordered a switch to fibre service.

I planned to install a VDSL capable router when the new service is activated, but the I will be away for a while at the date I've been given for the switchover. Will the old ADSL hub continue working on ADSL until I log in using a VDSL router, or will others in the house lose service from that day until I return?

In another location with Zen internet it worked fine - the ADSL service continued after switchover until it was convenient to change to a VDSL modem, but I don't know how PlusNet handles it.

Mary 

10 REPLIES 10
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Unattended switch from ADSL to VDSL

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Order

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

The only way it will work is if you have an ADSL / VDSL - modem / router plugged in for the switch.

The supplied hub one has both so would work.

I'm assuming that's what happened with you previously as there is no way an adsl only modem/router would work with vdsl and a line cannot support both.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@MG31 

Maybe a helpful Plusnet staffer will pick up this post and send you a Hub One straight away. These work on both ADSL and fibre.

Alternatively have you still got your Zen hub, that might be configurable to work on your Plusnet account?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MG31
Hooked

Hi, I don't use hubs elsewhere, I use a modem (Vigor 130) and separate router. This location I want to convert to the same set up from an older PlusNet ADSL-only hub.

I've just plugged in the new Vigor 130 and in fact it turns out to automatically hook up to ADSL as well, so I'm hoping it will automatically reconnect when the VDSL service starts. At most I hope it will need power cycling of the modem and/or rebooting the router, which I can maybe talk nother family member through remotely.

The new modem and router are giving noticeably faster performance than the PluNet hub in the meantime, so that's good!

Thanks for your thoughts and quick responses.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi Mary,

If your modem and router are capable of VDSL I imagine they'd need reconfiguring when the fibre service starts.

Alternatively I'm happy to order a Hub One for you that'll work for both ADSL and FTTC automatically if you'd want? 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Anonymous
Not applicable

When my line was upgraded from ADSL2+ to FTTC, I was running a Draytek Vigor 130 modem into a pfSense router, and the modem seamlessly reconnected to FTTC at the moment of switchover.

At the time, I knew when the Openreach engineer was swapping my line in the cabinet, so was at home listening to an internet streaming radio station, expecting to hear a drop in the stream (while I was getting on with other things),  but the modem reconnected so quickly that the audio never dropped !.

The only signs that anything had happened was the Vigor 130 status page reported the new sync rate, and my ThinkBroadband Broadband Quality Monitor live graph showed a 10ms improvement in line latency.

MG31
Hooked

That would be very kind of you Anoush.

Do you need my address or other details, or can you get it from my PlusNet username?

Mary

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

no need to provide us with any details @MG31, staff members are able to locate your Plusnet account through the Community Forum.

Before proceeding though, I must make you aware that there is a £6.99 P&P charge when sending out new routers for FTTC upgrades. Please confirm whether you're happy with this and I'll be more than happy to get it sorted.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
MG31
Hooked

Okay, fair enough. I presume that will be added to my account charges.

Thanks

Mary

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Correct @MG31 this will be visible on your next invoice.

I've now had this processed for you, your Plusnet Hub One will be with you within the next 3-5 working days.

All the best.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds