cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to sign up to broadband without paying for socket

lm222

Unable to sign up to broadband without paying for socket

I was hoping to take advantage of the current offer on Fibre+ broadband (£25.99/month with no activation fee). However when I try to sign up, PlusNet wants to charge me £50 for installation of a BT socket.

I already have a BT socket in my home and there doesn't appear to be any option to explain this at checkout. I can't find an e-mail or live chat anywhere, phone lines closed at 8pm and the offer expires at midnight. So it looks like I'll miss out on the lower price 😞

Can anyone advise on how to sign up for broadband without having to pay for a new socket?

Thanks in advance!

5 REPLIES 5
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Unable to sign up to broadband without paying for socket

@lm222  Welcome to the forum.

Ring the customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 and discuss it with them. This number is answered quite quickly.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @lm22, thanks for getting in touch!

I'm really sorry for the disappointment caused by the installation fee. Although there is a socket in the premise, the checks ran when you enter the details might determine that further work is needed to connect a service (whether this be internal or external).

Do you have a working service with another provider there currently? If you can pop me over a PM with your full address and postcode, I can have a check of the line status and see why this may be for you. 

To send a PM, click on my name and then to the right, there will be a grey button to 'send private message' and in the message please include a link to this thread.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@lm222 

Is there a dial tone if you plug a telephone into the socket?  If yes, dial 17070 and report to @LaurenB the number identified.

There are a hosts of possibilities here...

1. You have an intact fully working line there, but BT's address details for that line are not at your address - effectively BT shows no working line at your address and therefore your order would be processed as requiring a new line.  This needs an ORI update to BT's records to give that line a "Golden Key" address at the right property
  2. You have a fully intact ceased line - that should simply be a matter finding the right record for the line and restarting it
  3. You have a socket with nothing behind it - though there might be a socket the circuit which should connect it to the local green cabinet might have been raided to fix someone else's problem line at a time when the service on "your" line was ceased - this can happen in areas running at (or near) capacity - if that is the case a whole new line might be required - again that is treated as a new line installation

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

lm222

Hi Lauren

Thanks for your offer of help. I clicked your name but couldn't find a "send private message" button anywhere on the page! Is it possible for you to message me instead?

I have a working broadband connection at my address currently, and it is connected via a BT OpenReach socket.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

The SEND PRIVATE MESSAGE button in on the right hand side of the ABOUT person page - but see https://community.plus.net/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/51902

Edit: - You had only made one post - I seem to recall that there is a minimum number of posts you need to have made before you can PM anyone.  You have now made two posts - try again! Wink

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.