Did you mean: 

Unable to port landline number after signing up to Full Fibre

FIXED
SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Re: Unable to port landline number after signing up to Full Fibre

If there was a celebration Gif I was allowed to use, I would be spamming this threat right now Cheesy (I know against the rules, but it would be worth it) 

Woop Woop!!!

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
Michael_0
Dabbler

Thanks for that.

I'm still waiting to break out the bubbly as the whole porting 'experience' has been a bit of a mare for me and I don't mean with PN.  My last ISP wouldn't even discuss porting - I don't think they signed up to OFCOM's rules re. number porting - and was the main reason I changed to PN; having such a good reputation for customer service.

It has taken a bit of a push but I'm so glad I signed up to the forum: this has been the key; all the help and advice I've had.

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Honestly, I'm just glad we could help. When it goes through, have a glass of bubbly for me too Cheesy 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
peterhr
Rising Star

So is there a recommended way to proceed with moving the telephone service from a line served by FTTC to FTTH (while remaining with PlusNet)

Ideally you'd be able to port the number to voip then migrate the internet connection possibly with an overlap the both services connected.

peterhr
Rising Star

Hmm, can't edit the post any more.

What would ease this pain - which will become more of a bugbear in the next couple of years is for PlusNet to market FTTC as "Fibre Broadband and Line Rental" with the Telephone service as a bolt on.

Then the customers could migrate the phone service to another provider, or indeed BTgroup could migrate the PlusNet phone services to EE, but leave the contract in place.

If it really screwed the systems doing this, allocate a temporary phone number to the copper line with outgoing calls blocked (except to PlusNet support, etc)

Michael_0
Dabbler

Yes, @peterhr , you're quite right: the whole process needs to be handled by PN.  How that's done is way beyond my expertise but it's taken me just over 3 weeks' to regain use of my number and it has been difficult.  For people with no knowledge of configuring settings across websites, routers and ATAs it would quite a daunting prospect.

Thanks again to @MisterW (for the pointer to Andrews & Arnold for the VOIP service: they have delivered!) and everyone who has helped me through what I thought was a hopeless task.

Gamichea
Dabbler

@Michael_0 So glad you got this sorted. Have been following this thread thanks to @MisterW. Its taken me most of this year to get PN to accept I can have FTTP because they were slavishly following OR's rubbish data. Once I came on here @Gandalf picked up that issue and got OR to sort their data. Since then I've been following your issue for resolution so I know how & when to go about porting our landline number to voip. I had already identified Andrews and Arnold as my likely provider so now I can press the FTTP button safe in the knowledge I can wait until FTTP has been installed before asking A and A to port. This is important because I am pretty sure when OR turn up to install they won't be able to there and then because they need a hoist as BT posts round here are mainly designated unclimbable for safety reasons.

FlossyThePig
Rising Star

After putting off my upgrade to FTTP for aver a year now I have bitten the bullet and ordered an upgrade to Full Fibre 145. I contacted A&A about porting my landline number to their VOIP service.

Fingers Crossed

Michael_0
Dabbler

Good luck (and @Gamichea too). I put PN as the losing provider and OR as the range holder and that seemed to be enough for them.
FlossyThePig
Rising Star

Yesterday was FTTC to FTTP upgrade day. My timeslot was 13:00 - 18:00 but no show until about 18:10 when two chaps arrived to do the work.

After checking the location first question was "where's your router?" Initially they weren't happy as it was the other side of the room but I pointed them to the CAT5e cable I had already installed and there was no problem.

Next was where to locate the ONT. Replacing the original master socket meant no wall drilling was required and a very neat solution.

After the internal work was done it was to time to climb the pole just outside the house and replace to old copper connection with the new fibre cable.

Back inside and I asked if I should turn off the Plusnet Hub Two router but there was no need. The ethernet cable was plugged into the ONT and I was told all was done and just wait for the router to work its magic and less than two minutes later it displayed a blue light. Initial speed test showed about 150Mbps (up from my old 8 Mbps).

As no drilling was done there was no mess to tidy up so the chaps left. Total time on site was about 55 minutes.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417
Moved:

Moved to Tech Help and re-titled.

Please keep this thread to topics concerning help with your Plusnet service and use the Tech Help board for help setting up third party VoIP services.