Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to port landline number after signing up to Full Fibre

FIXED
Michael_0
Dabbler

Unable to port landline number after signing up to Full Fibre

I upgraded my DSL internet and landline with Plusnet to full fibre on 10th May 2023.  Having read many of the forum posts in a similar vein I thought it would then (the day after the upgrade) be possible to transfer my number to a VOIP provider.  This was not the case with the reason given by Plusnet for the rejection as 'number(s) ** is/are not active on their network'.

There seems to be a great deal said about this on the forum so I thought that, for the benefit of anyone thinking about doing the same, I would state clearly that as of 12th May 2023 your landline number becomes unavailable to you as soon as the landline is replaced by the fibre connection.

55 REPLIES 55
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 402

Re: Unable to port landline number after signing up to Full Fibre

This was not the case with the reason given by Plusnet for the rejection as 'number(s) ** is/are not active on their network'.

@Michael_0  the port should not be rejected for thart reason now!. Ofcom introduced a 'right to port' for up to 30 days AFTER the line had been ceased in April this year. http://www.offta.org.uk/latest-news/october-2022

I would start by raising a complaint.

Meanwhile I'm going to escalate this thread to get some understanding of whats gone wrong here

edit: additional info , its now in Ofcom's General conditions https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0017/232064/annex-3-revised-general-conditions-unoff...

Condition C7.6

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jgb
Champion
Fixes: 22

As you say there are other posts on these forums where landline numbers have seemingly been successfully transferred to VOIP providers after broadband has been transferred to full fibre.

I was under the impression that OFCOM rules now require that landline numbers are kept available for porting for 30 days after they are no longer in use by the losing service. One post even suggested the methodology that was employed to ensure this whereby Plusnet now retain the number for the full thirty days before returning it to the rangeholder (unless ported out withi that time).

Therefore there now seems to be some doubt regarding exactly what is going on and whether or not Plusnet are the issue here or there is some other issue at play.

We need Plusnet to explain what is going on and whether there is specific action that the customer needs to take to avail themselves of the porting opportunity for their landline number. Plusnet have been silent on these forums regarding this as far as I can see. Will they now enlighten us?

EDIT: Hopefully @MisterW  can get to the bottom of this.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,484

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from  Full Fibre to My Order

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Michael_0
Dabbler

Thanks for the input so far.  Your comments are largely in line with what I hoped would happen - but not joy.  I don't yet know how to raise a complaint so I'll try that next.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@jgb I have some opinions on this which I have expressed in some previous posts.

1. I believe Plusnet have done nothing to implement the required 30 day number retention rule. Plusnet have been completely silent on this subject.

2.  A few customers have managed to port their numbers to Voip suppliers when upgrading to FTTP.

3. I think they have been lucky because of the timing of the orders and the delays in the various stages of the culmination of the order process, such as the phone line still being active for a short time after the FTTP order has completed, in which case a port to voip will succeed.

4. My overall conclusion is that Plusnet's masters (i.e.BT) do not want Plusnet ports to Voip to happen because it has long been stated by Plusnet that you should move to BT or EE if you want to keep your landline number.

Whether this unacceptable situation will change in the future when the PSTN phone system is discontinued  is still unclear.☹️

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Michael_0  Use the complaints code of practice link at the bottom of the page. Point out that is an OFCOM requirement that numbers are to be available to port to a Voip service.

Michael_0
Dabbler

@RealAleMadrid That makes lot of sense.  The number of customers reporting a successful port is tiny.  Also, thanks for the pointer to the Complaints link - I'll give it a try.

Edit: I have submitted a complaint and I'll report back if I hear anything.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi @Michael_0 I've sent you a PM, please get back to me with your username when you can and I'll pick this up with you. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Michael_0
Dabbler

PM duly sent.  Thanks

jgb
Champion

Perhaps @adamwalker can tell us what Plusnet's procedures are for land line porting. 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@jgb landline porting is and always has been GPL ( Gaining provider led ) so what PN's procedures are is irrelevent to the user. They just request the port from the new supplier and is is they that request the port via the registered porting contact ( whatever that is? )

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jgb
Champion

Yes @MisterW  that is the case if you move away from Plusnet to another provider who will provide a phone and broadband service. What  I was enquiring about is Plusnet's procedure to ensure that a customer moving on to their full fibre product is then able to port their previously existing land line number to a VOIP provider as Plusnet do not provide any telephone options with full fibre.  A problem with that issue, despite the OFCOM requirement that numbers must be available for porting for 31 days after a service stops, is where I believe this thread started. Thus Plusnet must have some role in procedures to ensure that such porting is possible.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@jgb porting numbers to voip works on the same GPL basis. The gaining provider requests the port by establishing the CUPID (Communications Provider Identity Code) of the losing provider and requests the number port using that.

AIUI the whole of the BT group (i.e BT retail, EE & PN) operate under one CUPID, therefore it is whoever is the porting contact ( probably BT) for that CUPID that processes the port. So Im not sure where, if at all PN actually get involved.

Some light bedtime reading here http://www.offta.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0021/212646/Introduction-to-Fixed-Line-Porting-in-the... if you're interested

Michael_0
Dabbler

Thanks, all, for the input so far.  Adam Walker made contact and hopes to be able to provide me with more details once he has discussed my issue with colleagues this week.  I'll report back once I know more.