cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer in progress. Should I be able to send emails before activation date.

Ouzlewell

Transfer in progress. Should I be able to send emails before activation date.

Hi, I am currently in the process of Transferring my Broadband from BT to Plusnet. Although the transfer hasn't completed yet I can receive email on my new Plusnet address. 

Should I also be able to send emails or will I only be able to do that once the transfer is complete.

When I try to send an email from my plusnet account from my MAC (MAIL) I get the following message:

recipient rejected - relay denied.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Transfer in progress. Should I be able to send emails before activation date.

you can only send via the Plusnet server once your account has gone live - until then you will have to use the BT server

Ouzlewell

Re: Transfer in progress. Should I be able to send emails before activation date.

Thanks

Casey
Rising Star

I had this exact issue too - PN engineer confirmed that you can receive but you have to connect to the same server you're sending from, since your PNet internet isn't accessible yet you can't send using the PNet email. They said that it would auto-correct itself when the fibre was up and ready - until hen, use BT as normal.
Ouzlewell

Thanks Casey. That's good to know.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

@Casey wrote:
They said that it would auto-correct itself when the fibre was up and ready - until hen, use BT as normal.

That is a bit unclear: once you are connected to the PlusNET network and / or you account becomes active, you will automatically be able to use PlusNet's SMTP relay servers.  HOWEVER you still need to manually change the SMTP server details  in your email program - they will not auto-correct.

Note when not connected via the PlusNET network, the relay servers require authentication credentials (mailbox name and password) to allow use of them.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Casey
Rising Star

Yes, you are quite right - I admit, I presumed a little intelligence on people's behalf and expected them to set up their email as it says on the Pnet "email settings" page. I didn't mean the browser/email program would auto-correct - I mean that the issue of differing servers would auto-disappear once fully on PNet. I still have until next Monday to wait...
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

I am sure you knew what you meant Wink however there are some around here who might think this stuff all self configures when things change ... Buck2

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.