cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thre simple questions

Reiver635
Hooked

Thre simple questions

After being caught in the Customer Service Lines Infinite Loop (every option took me back round the same circle of options) I gave up and went onto the website naively thinking I could send an email from there. No such luck! The web chat was unavailable too which is why I've ended up here. Angry

My questions (if anyone here can answer them) are:

1. Can I retain my existing phone number. Always been with BT at the same address since 1960 (back when it was a 4 digit number!)
  2. Do I have to inform BT I'm leaving them or will Plusnet do that (BT say they take care of the cancellation if you're moving to them)
  3. How long does it take to move the landline over? My (ADSL) broadband is with Plusnet but I intend to upgrade to fibre.

I must say, the frustration at being unable to contact anyone at Plusnet doesn't fill me with confidence.Sad

9 REPLIES 9
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Re: Thre simple questions

Hi @Reiver635 welcome to the forum

To help with your queries:

1. Yes

2. No Plusnet will do that

3. Normally 10 working days

You should be able to add home phone through the offers and upgrade link ( login required)

As stated in the faq point 9 here: https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/faqs/broadband-and-phone/

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Reiver635
Hooked

Thanks Mike.

Plusnet has a good reputation for customer service and while I've been with them for years I've never needed to get in touch with them.

The Plusnet Community Form seems like a very useful tool Cool

ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Your very welcome Smiley,  the forum is certainly a very useful tool, always lots of like-minded people around, willing to help.

If you have any more queries in the future, don't hesitate to pop back to the forum

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Home Phone to My Order

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there,

I'm sorry to see you're struggling to get through to us. When you tried to call/chat with us last night, was this after 10pm by any chance? We no longer offer 24/7 support for residential/home broadband, since 2015.

If you did call between 7:30 and 10, is there any chance you'd be able to try a different handset? As far as I'm aware and I may be wrong, but I think this type of behaviour indicates the handset is using something called "pulse dial" which means that when you press an number/option once, with the pulse dial setting it's like pressing the same button multiple times. (Again I may be wrong on this, it's something I've heard that could happen)

To confirm what @ITWorks has said, it should certainly be possible to retain your existing number as we'd just place a transfer order with our suppliers and it should come over to us around 10 working days later.

With regards to upgrading to fibre, this normally takes around 5 working days depending on engineer availability.

While we can take your phone and fibre upgrade request together, we won't be able to process this with our suppliers at the same time due to the way the systems work.

I hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Reiver635
Hooked

I used my mobile to call during the day. The mobile showed the selections I was making which were correct.

Perhaps I should have chosen the 'I'm leaving' option but I thought it more appropriate to select 'Other' (option 4).

I hope my mobile does work because that's what I'd be using to call you in the event of a problem with my landline Smiley

I tried the Chat function sometime between 21:30 & 22:00 but it was greyed-out so not available. I guess they'd called 'Time'.

Anyway, I've got the answers I was after (mainly about retaining my number) so that's all good thanks.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @Reiver635 

Ah, it’s a bit odd and I’m unsure what happened then. At least you’ve got the answers you need, that’s the main thing. Thumbs_Up

I’d second the above idea of checking the Offers and Upgrades tab in your account online to see if there’s an offer you’d like, but if not I’d recommend calling our customer options team on 0800 013 2632 as they handle renewals and upgrades. 

Let us know how it goes and if there’s anything else we can help you with. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Reiver635
Hooked

Just pulled the trigger on unlimited fibre + landline.

Let's hope it all goes smoothly on the 25th 😊

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Sounds good 👍 I've checked the order and it looks like the activation of your fibre service has been delayed to the 31st due to engineer availability. We'll place the phone order afterwards, which will around 10 working days to transfer in. 

Fingers crossed all does go smoothly.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet