cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking about moving to plusnet. Got questions

TommyD

Thinking about moving to plusnet. Got questions

Thinking about moving to plusnet when my current package is up with another provider. I am not moving house, just switching. I do have some questions though that I need to know before I do this.

The biggest one by a long margin is simply, can I use another (industrial grade) router instead of the plusnet one? I have in excess of 30 devices connected on internal networks (for a plethora of reasons - this is my home address, although I work in IT) and I am well aware a standard home router wont last very long under that kind of constant load, which is mostly internal. The last one I used from my current ISP quite literally popped.

What sort of downtime can I expect when switching? This is huge as I work from home, and to be a realist, if I stick with my current provider I won't have any. 1 day I can deal with, though.

Off the back of the above point, if the agreed day does elapse and bares no fruit I would cancel the order straight away, probably at midnight. Whats the procedure for a cancellation prior to getting the connection? I dont beleive there is an upfront charge, however if there is, how long does the refund take?

How close to the switch date do I receive the router for the inital setup and line stablization? How long would I have to leave the plusnet router plugged in for the line to stabalize? This isnt hugely important, I can work around it as a temporary thing, be good to know though.

If I was to request a DLM reset, how long does this take and how does one go about doing that with plusnet?

I dont believe there is, but is there any fair-use polcies in play?

Are there any blocked protocols on your network? If so, what are they? I need VPN's and remote management protocols for work and came across this post: https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Allow-VPN/td-p/1716120, as well as a couple of others. I am assuming not, and most the blocks are from the plusnet router itself, but confirmation would be beneficial to me.

Thanks,

T

10 REPLIES 10
dvorak
Fixes: 1,453

Re: Thinking about moving to plusnet. Got questions

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Order 

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
jab1
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 136

You can use any compatible modem/router on Plusnet - if your current one works with your current supplier, all you need to do is input your PN credentials and it should just work.

If all goes to plan and you already have an FTTC service, your PN connection should (I think) be fully operational by midnight of your switch date - I can't be 100% sure of this, because I don't know if BT/OR need to do any work at your local cab - if they do, local engineer availability could be an issue.

If you cancelled based on non-availability of engineers, you would be liable for termination charges - the 14 day 'cooling-off' window starts the day after your order is accepted - and you would potentially have an even longer 'no service' gap as you would have to re-apply to your current provider to re-acquire the service.

If you already have an unlocked modem/router, you do not need the Plusnet equipment - as above, you just swap credentials.

DLM resets on a Fibre connection are handled, I believe, by BT/OR, and AFAIK you cannot just request one without good reason - but we need clarification on that from staff/more clued up Community members.

The protocols question, I'm afraid, needs someone with more knowledge than me.

John
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 12

Just to add a couple of little points from myself.  I'm currently running a Plusnet router with 36 devices connected without any issue, though I normally run a third party router (and have done with many different routers over many many years).  I've had the Plusnet router in place for a few months.

With the Plusnet firewall (which you can set the level of, or turn it off on the Plusnet website), various ports are blocked at different levels, though nothing when it is turned off.  Changing that is quick and easy online, then you just need to reboot.

There are sometimes problems with dynamic IP addresses.  Plusnet bought some IP Ranges from ARIN a number of years ago.  Some websites, services and such like are still using very old Geodatabases and as such block some of them thinking you are in America.  The static IP Addresses (available for a one-off £5 fee) are all from the original IP blocks and I've not heard of any such problems with them.

Plusnet take payment in advance.  The first payment will be taken when you sign up, then the second one month after you've switched and so on. If you leave, then your final bill/refund is sent within 20 days with payment or refund following that.

It might be possible to cancel within the 14days cooling-off period after the day you are switching on, though it would be tight.  Regulations set out a minimum 10 days to switch, in order to give the loosing provider to notify you that someone is trying to switch your connection and then for you to have time to cancel that switch if it wasn't intended.  The cooling off period is intended as a time when you can change your mind rather than a "try before you buy" kind of thing.  I was reading the other day that some providers (mainly smaller ones it seems), purposely wont switch you until after the 14 day period has elapsed as there is ultimately a cost to them that they can't recover if you switch and then cancel.  I've not seen Plusnet or any of the other big suppliers deliberately do that though. 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 323

@TommyD 

Reading your requirements and expectations one has to wonder whether they are compatible with the service and support available from any budget residential ISP.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jab1
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 136

Re-reading, I tend to agree, @Baldrick1 

John
TommyD

Hi Jab,

Thanks for the reply and clarifiction. If I was to go along with it, I would do so on the last viable day I could to minimize impact inline with the cooling off/grace period.

The DLM resetting would be needed as, in my line of work, my connection can and will take an absolute battering. Its much the same reason a standard router wont handle what I am testing on my internal networks.

Thank you for your response.

TommyD

Hi pjmarsh,

Thank for the response.

Appologies for my vauge disclosure, I should have clarified in a better manner, with the '30 devices', its more of a case of 30+ devices getting a battering on the internal network, with 30 being the minimum. This could triple in size. I wouldn't risk doing this with a standard router as any extensive stress testing would crash them, or in rare cases completely fry them. Even if I was to attempt this, I wouldn't get the feedback I require from an off-the-shelf router anyway (namely, monitoring a stress test as it's under way, or monitoring ARP poisoning attacks against another system as I am actively testing the security system in place). It's probably worth adding at this point I am on about penetration testing and network forensics, (hacking, the legal way via simulations. In a nutshell). Basic gist is, on the WLAN my connection would remain very much the same as any other home user, however internally I have all manner of crazy things going on. If there is an attack type or vulnerability you've read about on the news, my network has or will be simulating it to a degree. From aggressive DDoS attacks right down to simple MITM attacks under very high traffic.

A dynamic or static IP should be fine. The main outgoing connection from here is a VPN to work or a clients network if the need arises. Outgoing traffic is 95% of the time minimal in comparison to the traffic I have between stations internally. Although providing my router doesnt go down for more than 30 minutes, the exchange wouldn't drop the connection and assign another IP to my understanding (DHCP leasing is set to a 30-minute lease timeout on OR infrastructure).

My switch isnt for another month or so yet, so I will probably go more in-depth with the payment aspect of the switch closer to the time with an agent and explain my situation to them more openly.

Thank you for the response, very much appreciated.

TommyD

Hi Baldrik1,

Upon closer inspection I realise my initial post wasn't worded very well. Basically the WLAN connection would remain the same as any home user nearly all of the time. The difference with me here though is the internal network. I will work on rare occasion over the WLAN on a clients network via a VPN if the need arises, however this is generally not the best approach and as such is a rare occurance. With covid relaxing a little bit (finally), this will occur even less than it has been, too, but it is still a concern. The only other daily connection is the VPN to my office, which going off other replies here should be fine to my understanding.

Thank you for your reply.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 323

@TommyD 

Just be aware.

Plusnet's Ts & Cs state that their residential service should only be used for the occasional work Email. With Covid, whilst a blind eye is being turned to this requirement, you will not get priority because you are using it for work purposes. Plusnet have a more responsive Business service.

Plusnet can only request a DLM reset with the residential service, I don't know about the business one, if you first get them to run a GEA test and this shows that the line is banded.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hi @TommyD

hope you're well. Looks like most of your questions have been addressed here, so I thought I'd just clarify some things.

Cooling Off Period - As @jab1 has pointed out, delays on your order (up to a certain extent of course) due to engineer availability, or external work that needs to be carried out, which might delay your activation date for a few days, aren't a reason for a free of charge cancellation. Your 14 day cooling off period will start one day after the account itself is created, and isn't a "try before you buy" period, so to speak. If however for whatever reason we find that we can't provide a service due to the infrastructure, then of course, the account would be closed free of charge.

Downtime - If there are no delays, and we're taking over a working line, more often than not, the losing provider would cease your services early on that day. We advise customers that orders can take up to midnight to go live, even if the engineering work has taken place earlier in the day. Once an order is completed on Openreach's end, it then goes through BT Wholesale. The component on our end isn't made active until the order is completed on BT Wholesale's side.

DLM Resets - you can request these by giving our Technical Support Team a call, or by reaching out on here. We'll test the line to see if it's banded for no visible reason, and if no fault has been identified, and the line can clearly achieve higher speeds, a request will be put in. This usually takes around 3 working days.

Routers - you'll probably know quite a bit more about third party routers than I do, the Community forum is the best place to discuss third party routers with our members. Staff members are advised not to recommend any specific ones, as Technical Support cannot be provided on these.

Protocols - Not aware of any that we block to be honest, certainly nothing through the Hub One,

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds