Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Temporary dual login

FIXED
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Temporary dual login

My daughter has just started 'proceedings' for her new Plusnet BB & Phone setup.

We've opted to use an existing Asus router which was my old RT-N66U. I've tested it and it's all setup for PN and works fine on my account and now removed again.

When the Openreach engineer arrives and installs the modem and we connect the Router it's presumably initially going to try and connect to my account before I change the username and password.

Is this initial duplicate login going to give anything a 'headache' at PN HQ ?

Thanks

Let's be careful out there !
15 REPLIES 15
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Temporary dual login

Hi there,
That’ll be perfectly fine, our hardware management platform won’t recognise a third party router but it’ll still be able to connect to the internet using their login details assuming the router is compatible to the type of broadband service they’ve ordered i.e. fibre or ADSL.
Hope this helps.
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@Gandalf  I think the OP is suggesting that when the router is initially connected, there will be two connections using the same credentials until it's reconfigured with the daughters username/password.

However I think we have a more basic problem here

When the Openreach engineer arrives and installs the modem

@Kremmen Openreach no longer supply modems!. AFAIK the RT-66U is just a router , so you will either need to obtain a separate VDSL modem or get a replacement vdsl modem/router.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@MisterW thanks for the clarification. If the OP doesn’t have a static IP, it’ll still be perfectly fine. If they’ve got a static IP then they’ll both experience data transfer/throughput issues until they’ve reconfigured the router correctly.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro

Ah, so no modem supplied anymore !!!

I guess that she needs to get in touch with PN and get their Modem/Router then ?

= oops

I do have a fixed IP but it seems that my original query has been superseded with no free Modem anymore Sad

Thanks to all for the info

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us @Kremmen 

Unfortunately not, we moved on from Openreach modems in 2016. If you're/she's wanting to use her own router, I believe these modems can still be picked up albeit second hand from eBay etc. Obviously we wouldn't be able to support her with it as it'd be classed as third party equipment still.

There's also an option of buying a third party all in one modem router, which may give better WiFi coverage. Having said that I'd personally take the free modem router we offer and see how it fares before spending money on extra equipment.

Let us know if you need any further support.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro

Thanks

We now have a PN Modem/Router on order, delivery a few days before connection, so she can get connected and see how it performs.

Only issue now is that she only has an old 1980's single plug BT socket. I was told by PN tech that all new fibre connections come with a NTE5C as using microfilters has proved unreliable.

Hopefully that is correct ?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fibre orders are what’s called self install since 2016 which means that an engineer won’t go inside their property to complete the work. Having said that, if we’re arranging an engineer visit on the back of a new line installation then I’d expect the engineer to renew the socket if appropriate. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Orders

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro

So it's an unknown at the moment.

Find out next week.

Thanks

Kremmen
Aspiring Pro

BB install all happened, all OK, speed fine, but as expected - a microfilter dangling out of the 1980's BT LJU socket.

Looks like a self install VDSL NTE5C then Sad

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us @Kremmen 

That's disappointing, before you replace the socket yourself it may be worth seeing how the fibre service performs as while really old (Older than me!) it might be OK.

Let us know if there are any issues though.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro

TBH it seems OK.

She's getting almost the 40/10 she's paying for.

just me and the dangly filter thing.

And that's using the supplied PN Hub so no need to change that either.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

@Kremmen It's good to see her speeds are OK 👍 unless you'd want to renew the telephone socket in my opinion it may not be worth it unless she experiences performance or connection problems. 

Feel free to let us know if any issues do occur or there anything else you'd need help with.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro

Thanks 😊