cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taken over 15 days and ongoing to get a line and broadband setup

bobo13
Dabbler

Taken over 15 days and ongoing to get a line and broadband setup

So I moved into a property, called up Plusnet as existing customer from previous home.

Was given a date engineer will come for home visit to install line. Take annual leave from work half day as I was told 8am - 1pm. I wait no one turns up. Its now 12pm I call and I have been told his going to come afternoon. So take full day leave from work.

6pm comes no show.

Given a new date a few days later. Again take morning off, and no show. Get a call saying someone will come afternoon. So i again take full day leave. This time he does turn but doesn't complete the job and says someone will come tomorrow but they dont need access.

These times im calling plusnet everyday trying to find out what the hell is going on. Being on hold for 30mins each time.

Next day its 1pm still no news. So I contact plusnet again and they tell me somone will visit your home between 1-6pm! Wow okay, so I take rest day off and rush home.

5pm now and no show. Contact plusnet and being told engineer doesnt need to visit home but another engineer has been assigned for tomorrow.

So i have wasted 3 days annual leave on nothing - brilliant! Oh yea but if I missed these appointments my self they will charge me £65 or however much it is. But for me 'oh sorry' is all I get.

I mean its 2017 companies like Plusnet and Openreach should be able to get communication better. This is just a joke.

So its nearly day 16 and after 4 failed engineer visits i still have no phone line or internet.

17 REPLIES 17
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Taken over 15 and days and ongoing to get a line and broadband setup

Hello there,

I'm so sorry about the repeated missed engineer visits.

I can see that the work needed to activate the line is all due to be done at the exchange today and we're just waiting for an update to that now.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
bobo13
Dabbler

My line is now activated finally!

Thanks for getting it sorted out.

I now have a speed issue. My Line Speed is showing as 21mbps but my actual speed is 2mbps which is very strange.

I do want to get fiber soon as my neighbors have got fiber and they connect to the same cabinet as me.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

That's good to hear.

Your current line speed will update by itself given time. I can see it's since updated to 4600kbps. It looks like line records haven't yet updated following the installation so there's no speed estimates showing.

I've raised a TAGs query to BTwholesale to investigate that.

In the meantime, are you using a wired or wireless connection?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bobo13
Dabbler

Thanks for that.

I am using both wired and wireless and similar speeds.

Currently my download is at 1.8mbps on wired and 1.7mpbs wireless.
Hope this improves as it's borderline un-usable when trying to steam anything from Netflix.

Thanks
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Can you run a BT speedtest for me please at http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com using a wired connection. Once you have the result, please complete the further diagnostics. This will store the result on the supplier system.

Cheers

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bobo13
Dabbler

Hi Anoush

I have performed the test as requested. Also did the further diags.

The speed was 4.3mbps and upload 0.72

I think this is still very slow. My neighbors are with Sky fiber and they are getting over 50mbps. Both properties are connected to the same cabinet so not quite sure what is happening.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

We'll need to first find out your speed estimates before we can progress a fault.

Our suppliers have arranged for this to be fixed and we expect to receive an update within 5 working days.

I apologise for the inconvenience caused.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bobo13
Dabbler

Still waiting for a reply back to my correspondence yesterday.

All of the houses on my road are fiber enabled but it seems only my house is routed differently according to Plusnet which I find very hard to believe.

I have gone and checked all the houses under my postcode on OpenReach fiber checker.

Apart from two houses which are unoccupied all the rest are fiber enabled and go to the same cabinet as me which is cabinet number 28 Hornchurch.

I hope Plusnet can get to the bottom of this rather than just giving generic answers such as "your house might be too far" "your house might be routed differently"

I want a definite answer please, this should be that difficult to explain why I cannot get fiber.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi there,

Unfortunately, if fibre isn't showing as available here or here we can't order it I'm afraid.

It's possible your line is routed differently, but we don't know a definitive reason why it's unavailable. We just know what's on the DSL checker and the Openreach sites as per the links above.

Sorry for any disappointment.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bobo13
Dabbler

On DSL checker website its showing available to me.

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTP Availability Date

FTTP on Demand 330 30 -- Available

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

There’s no VDSL/FTTC?
FTTP On Demand isn’t a product we offer, because of the very high cost for the install. I’ve heard people having to pay 10’s of thousands.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bobo13
Dabbler

Okay so today my speed is 0.24mbps download and 2mbps upload.

Think I'm just going to cancel now.

Thanks for all your help plusnet!
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Taken over 15 days and ongoing to get a line and broadband setup

@bobo13

What compensation did they pay you for the missed engineers appointments? If they didn't have a read of http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/delivery-rights

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
bobo13
Dabbler

Re: Taken over 15 days and ongoing to get a line and broadband setup

They gave me two month's free and £9.99 refund.

Although I much rather pay to have a working good connection.

I live in London and the year is 2017 yet I cannot get higher more than 4mbps download speed.