Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching to Plusnet

PatMustard
Hooked

Switching to Plusnet

Hello,

I am in the process of moving from BT to Plusnet.

I had a home phone switch over date of today (16th July) and broadband switch over date of tomorrow (17th July).

Problem No 1: Broadband has already gone off this morning (16th July, presumably de-activated by BT?) so does this mean I still have to wait until tomorrow for the PN broadband to activate?

Problem No 2: Had a message to say home phone is now active. All good, but the caller display is now not working (worked fine before with BT). Tried the *#234# thing and it said service not available?
15 REPLIES 15
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Switching to Plusnet

Hi there.

I can see your account is now active and your online.

Let us know if you're still having issues

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
PatMustard
Hooked

Ok thanks. Yes indeed broadband is now active, although at a much slower speed than I had with BT, presumably this speed will increase (or maybe not?).

The only other issue I have now is the telephone caller display is still not working.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@PatMustard Have you looked in the Phone control area in the Member Centre, you should be able to turn on the caller display from there?

Your speeds should be the same as BT's, how are you checking them?

PatMustard
Hooked

Hi, yes caller display is active in the Phone control area in the Member Centre. It just doesn't work. 

I am looking at the connection data rate in the router stats, it is showing 30.20 Mbps whereas previously (with BT) this was 36 to 37.

Screen_Shot_2018-07-16_at_14_34_04.png 

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@PatMustard

Are you using the Plusnet Hub One or your old BT Hub to connect?

If you wish, you can use the BT Hub that you used previously,  Indeed many forum regulars prefer the BT Hubs especially the BT Smart Hub aka BT Hub 6. The Plusnet Hub One is based on the BT Hub 5 Type A.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
PatMustard
Hooked

Hi, yes I'm using my old BT smart hub reconfigured to connect to Plusnet.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Sorry to hear your caller display isn't working.

Can you try the steps below?

Dial *#234# from the phone that you want to use for caller display. Listen to the message.

•  If it says ‘unavailable’, you don’t have caller display at the moment.
  •  If it says ‘the service is disabled’, you can enable it by hanging up and dialling *234#.
  •  If it says ‘identities will be displayed’, but your caller display isn’t working, you’ll either need to use a different phone, or try these steps. Plug a corded phone that’s compatible with caller display into the master socket (the master socket’s the first socket where the phone line comes into your home).   

With regards to your speeds these are quite low compared to your estimates. Is the router connected to the master socket?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
PatMustard
Hooked

@MatthewWheeler

Ok, yes I have tried dialling *#234# and the message says "sorry this service is not available". Just to confirm caller display is showing as active within the Plusnet control panel settings.

I'm not sure if its the master socket or not. It's the same socket I have always used and is the socket I was using previously for BT broadband. Yet the speed is a lot less since I switched to Plusnet today.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for getting back to us.

I've raised the caller display issue with our suppliers to investigate and we'll know more within 24 hours.

Moving back onto the speed issue it may be worth connecting to the test socket as shown here

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
PatMustard
Hooked

@MatthewWheeler

48 hours later and caller display is still not working. Can you look into this please?

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Can you try it again?

We've tried the good old removing it and readding it trick

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
PatMustard
Hooked

@MatthewWheeler

Ok that's done it. It's working now. Thanks for your help.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Glad to hear it!

Have the speeds increased or are they still low?

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
PatMustard
Hooked

@MatthewWheeler

The sync speed had been around 29-30 since Monday but the router rebooted itself this morning and the sync speed is now 34.75, which is nearer to what I would expect. I'll keep my eye on it and see how it goes.