cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch to fibre from ordinary broadband.

FIXED
BertieBassett
Grafter

Switch to fibre from ordinary broadband.

Hello, Just out of curiosity I wondered if this was normal:- Agreed to switch from ordinary to fibre broadband. I was given a switch date of 1st April. My new router arrived on Saturday.I contacted customer support to ascertain what might happen and when. A very helpful person on the support line told me that that the request date was 1st April, but this was not possible therefore the date was now 3rd April. It should happen by midnight on Wednesday, but in case of an issue she would call me back on Thursday. Whilst I guess the date is a bit academic, I thought it was just a matter of my current line stopping, then setting up the new router and away we go, so to speak? Is there more to it ? Cheers.

7 REPLIES 7
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Switch to fibre from ordinary broadband.

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Orders

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
BertieBassett
Grafter

Thank you for moving this Dvorak. However, I'm not sure that I understand your short and succinct post giving clear instructions as to what to do if the problem is "fixed". Whilst the call operator was extremely helpful, I was really wondering why the 2 day delay on the transfer had happened without my being informed and if my concept of just setting up the new router, to make things work, was correct. If I'm trying anyone's patience here, then please do let me know.

Satss
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 37

Fix

Hi @BertieBassett

Thanks for getting in touch.

As you are on ADSL currently you will have a copper cable running from the exchange to the cabinet. However, to provide Unlimited Fibre or any FTTC product this involves running fibre optic cables from the exchange to your street cabinet. This fibre cable is then connected to the copper cable running to your property.

As an engineer is required to complete this work  the dates provided for the upgrade are always subject to our suppliers engineer availability.

Having  checked your order this is still going ahead for the date you've been advised here

I hope this explains the process a little better. However, if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

BertieBassett
Grafter

Ah! Thank you for your help Satss. That helps to clarify things. Onwards and upwards! 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

No worries, fingers crossed your upgrade goes smoothly.

Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
BertieBassett
Grafter

@Gandalf wrote:

No worries, fingers crossed your upgrade goes smoothly.

Let us know how it goes.

Fairly smooth process - now up and running. It's so fast that films finish half an hour faster now and the actors talk so fast I can't tell what they are saying....Smiley On a more serious note - do I "recycle" the old router at the tip?

Warwick
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

Hey @BertieBassett

Glad everything is going well for you!

You can recycle at your local tip, we are part of the WEEE recycling initiative so alternatively you can send it to :

WEEE Take Back Scheme
Plusnet
2 Pinfold Street
Sheffield
S1 2GU

For more information you can take a look here

If you need any more assistance just let us know.