cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch from BT Infinity - equipment

denisparkes

Switch from BT Infinity - equipment

Hi. Anyone who can help with any of this will be very well regarded. I have just arranged to start with PlusNet early next month. Currently on BT and trying to work out what equipment will work or need to change. I currently have

- a BT openreach modem + BT Hub (4 I think) providing fibre broadband.

- a BT YouView box. We use this as the default TV navigation

- our TV is quite modern and has its own smart TV features.

- also have a small "Now TV" box which allows us to do pay on demand Sky with 1 day sports sky passes.

- Our DVD recorder also has some TV catch up features but we've never used these and I'm not sure if they require a subscription

- I also have a Synology DS NAS which is way too sophisticated and complex for me, but which is doing the basics for me now just fine (storing music and feeding it through my Sonos system around the house).

- Oh and finally we also have a Wifi repeater which was simple to set up though I have lost original instructions on how I did it. So far I think, but would like confirmation on the following:-

1. PlusNet hub will replace the two units (openreach modem & BT hub). However will I need to reset passwords on all my devices (I assume yes) and will I therefore need to do same on Wifi repeater and also the dreaded NAS? (PS had I stayed with BT I was going to look for an upgrade or replacement on the hub as it seemed to be dropping quite a lot)

2. Is there an option (possible performance issue notwithstanding) of just leaving the modem and BT Hub in place and having to change no settings at all?

3. Will the BT YouView box work in any regard?

- as a minimum to call up stored/recorded programmes?

- as an interface to watch TV through?

- to watch and record TV and use catch up etc

4. If not do I need to disconnect the BT box and plug in straight to smart TV?

5. Will the Now TV box still work - in particular regard to being able to access sky 1 day sports? (When we bought this I seem to remember the set up had some kind of link to BT Vision)

6. What is PlusNet TV, is it extra to pay for and what would the actual benefits be

- generally for TV (I'm thinking none given we have smart TV and possibility of using the BT box)

- for BT sports (but this is not a big thing if we couldn't access it)

Kind regards

4 REPLIES 4
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Switch from BT Infinity - equipment

2. Instructions for using your existing modem and HH4 https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Use-a-BT-Hub-2-3-4-or-5-on-a-Plusnet-connection/m-p/1192234#...

6. Plusnet TV is Freeview with added IP channels, all at an added cost of course, https://www.plus.net/tv/ 

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

5. Now TV boxes work fine with Plusnet. I used a Sky Sports day pass not so long back.
denisparkes

Thanks. Just to clarify. You say it works fine with PlusNet. Can I take that to mean with just the plusnet fibre and not with the added extra of the plusnet tv subscription?

Kind regards

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

If that was about Now TV, than yes, you don't need the Plusnet TV subscription.