Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch date arrived, but no router and no broadband

hel83
Hooked

Switch date arrived, but no router and no broadband

Good evening,
I switched to Plusnet on 2/6, installation was set up for 17/6, then it all went quiet didn't hear anything from Plusnet. I naively assumed all was going to plan. Received a flurry of emails and texts today confirming that my previous broadband provider had stopped, my Plusnet broadband had been installed. However I am yet to receive a router which was ordered and I have no broadband. I attempted calling customer service and after 30 minutes I eventually got through to a guy who didn't really seem to know what was going on. He told me the router should have come last Tuesday, then told me it was posted today and should arrive in 3 working days. When I said that isn't really good enough as I've paid for a service I am not receiving he said it might arrive tomorrow if I'm lucky.
This is day one and I'm already regretting moving to Plusnet. It seems it's not a one off issue looking at the forum.All I want to know is:
1. When will my router actually arrive?
2. Will I be compensated for the time I did not have broadband but have been paying for it? - also I have had to purchase more data thanks to plusnets lack of planning, I don't suppose I'll get that back?
3. In the meantime is there anyway I can set up my old sky (or even older bt) router to run the broadband/WiFi through until I actually receive a router?
4. What do I do if the router still doesn't appear after 3 days as I haven't had any emails or text confirmation to say it's been dispatched so I'm not confident

It's not going great so far
12 REPLIES 12
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Switch date arrived, but no router and no broadband

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Order.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Hi.

A warm welcome to the forums. You need a staff member to check on the state of your router delivery. As for using an old router, you can use any old router which is not locked to the provider it came from, which supports the service you have bought from PlusNET.

If the old router was for ADSL and you are on ADSL with PlusNET it will be fine so long as you can put your Plusnet account details in. If you are on FTTC then the router will need to be VDSL compatible.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@hel83 

If you have an old BT router then the setting instructions should be here. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Use-a-BT-Hub-2-3-4-or-5-on-a-Plusnet-connection/m-p/1192234#... the Plusnet Hub One is actually a modified Home Hub 5A.

If you have a Smarthub 6 then that's better than anything Plusnet offers and many  of us use them. Setting instructions are here   https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

abails0105
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 60

Hi @hel83, thanks for getting in touch.

I am truly sorry for the experience you have had with your service and for the fact you've not received your hardware as of yet. Our routers are usually sent a few days prior to activation, so it's a shame to see that on this occasion it seems to have slipped through the net and not been processed on time. As our routers are sent Royal Mail 1st Class delivery, we do advise they should be with you very shortly but to allow 3-5 working days at the most.

When you do receive the hardware, please do let us know and we can ensure a downtime refund is issued back to yourself to cover the time you have not been able to use the service.

Regards

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alice Baillie
 Plusnet Help Team
hel83
Hooked

I still haven't had any confirmation that a router has actually been sent out so how do I know when to expect it?
abails0105
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 60

Thanks for your response @hel83, I can confirm the dispatch of your hardware has been processed on our system. It was ordered manually by an agent yesterday (17/06/2019) so I'd expect it to be with you shortly.

Regards

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alice Baillie
 Plusnet Help Team
hel83
Hooked

Hi thanks glad it's on its way. In the meantime can anyone advise how to set up an old router if possible? Sorry I said it was a BT router but it's actually a plusnet Technicolour 582n. I've tried plugging it all in but it doesn't seem to be working. Any advice very gratefully received as we're struggling without any internet!
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @hel83, I'm afraid you wouldn't be able to use that unless you also have a separate Fibre modem. Even then the 582n would have to be the fibre variant as we used to supply this for both ADSL and FTTC connections back when Openreach still supplied Fibre Modems as part of an FTTC install.

Apologies for any inconvenience this causes.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
hel83
Hooked

With respect I don't feel that the "service" I have received so far from Plusnet has been satisfactory. I don't understand why a router wasn't sent out before installation date. Once I chased it up I don't understand why it can't be hurried up and sent next day delivery or first class at least. I'm enrolled on an online course. I have work which needs to be done via an online portal. I have files to upload. I have strict deadlines to meet. Not being able to access it means I'm going to struggle to make my deadline for an important assignment.
If the router does not arrive within the next 2 days I will be making a formal written complaint. I feel I have made a huge mistake in switching to Plusnet. If they can not be bothered to try and ensure new customers are happy and provide the very basic levels of service then what hope is there 6 or 12 months into a contract?
Satss
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 37

Hi @hel83

I apologise that you feel this way. Your expectations from the service are more than reasonable and I'm disappointed to see that we haven't been able to meet them. Our router delivery is normally triggered by automation but in the case this fails we have to order this manually and this is always done by a standard postage service.

I am sorry to see how this delay is going to inconvenience you, once you receive your router please inform us as we are more than happy to look into a gesture of goodwill as well as a refund for your downtime.

Kind Regards,

hel83
Hooked

I've just recieved an email to confirm the router has been picked and dispatached today (19th June). Now why was it not dispatched as promised on the 18th? I had doubts as I had received no confirmation but I was assured it had been dispatched and was already on its way. I now have to wait up to another 3-5 working days. That will be a week without any internet connection. Not good enough plusnet.

Warwick
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

Hi @hel83

Thank you for getting in touch and I am sorry to hear that your router delivery has been delayed to this point.

When arranging equipment we firstly place an order on our system which then is communicated to our central distribution centre. At this point the equipment is then arranged for dispatch and finally sent.

I understand your frustration at this stage regarding the delays and do assure you that this process all factored in to the usually delivery time of 3-5 days.