cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superfast Fibre Broadband available on Openreach but not with PlusNet

DMB201991

Superfast Fibre Broadband available on Openreach but not with PlusNet

Hi,

I have recently moved house and when checking what broadband options were available to me with the Openreach website it says that "superfast fibre broadband" (which I understand isn't FTTP which is due at the property between now and 2026) is available for my address now. However, when I have moved in and transferred my Plusnet account I've been told it isn't available and I can only activate the slower standard ADSL broadband.

We then had an Openreach engineer come out to the property as the phone line had been damaged, and when asking why we couldn't receive the fibre as stated online he said that we could, it just needs an Openreach engineer to attend and switch it on in the cabinet and that if we spoke to our provider they could arrange this. I've spoken to Plusnet and they have said there is nothing they can do they can just monitor the situation and let us know when we can have the fibre as stated on the Openreach site. Has anyone else experienced this, and is there a way to speed the process up or get an engineer out? I don't mind paying a fee for activation/upgrade but I just feel like I'm stuck with slow internet and no ability to change the process, is it literally just a case of waiting until an engineer happens to be in the area? Surely Plusnet can order the service if I pay for it or something.

Thanks,

Dan

10 REPLIES 10
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: Superfast Fibre Broadband available on Openreach but not with PlusNet

@DMB201991 Post a screenshot of this sites report, obscuring your phone number; https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

John
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to My Order

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
DMB201991

Hi, thanks for the advice and see attached.

jab1
Legend

From that data, it appears that there are no spare Fibre ports, so PN (or any other ISP) are unable to supply you with FTTC until one becomes available or they increase the cabs capacity.

John
DMB201991

Thanks for the info, this is the first time I've been told what the actual issue is! In your opinion is this likely to be something that gets sorted pretty quickly or that will take a long while? I take it there is nothing I can do to get them out to increase the capacity or ensure we're next in line for an available slot? I know next door are moving but no idea if that will open up a slot

jab1
Legend

I doubt they will increase the cabs capacity, to be honest, taking into account the roll-out of Full Fibre. My only real suggestion is to keep a very close eye on that site, and as soon as it shows 'available', place an order for FTTC.

Unfortunately, it is up to the end-user to carry out this check, as ISPs do not have the facility (or staff) to do it for you.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

I know next door are moving but no idea if that will open up a slot

@DMB201991 if they already have fttc then , yes it will when tgey move.

If youre friendly with them then find out what date their broadband ends. Then immediatley use the checker to se if it is now available and then try and place an order with Plusnet to upgrade

Thats not to say you shouldnt continue to check periodically anyway in case Openreach expand the cab or another property moves out.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@MisterW 

Does it depend on whether the neighbour cancels the service and releases the port when they move out or if the new neighbour is canny enough to negotiate taking over the working line?

Is my assumption correct that a different person can do this the same way as when changing ISP?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@Baldrick1 it does.

However if the neighbour is doing a home move with their existing supplier, then that will likely have placed a cease on the existing line. The new occupier is going to have difficulty in doing a WLT under those circumstances. Trying to negotiate to get the cease cancelled is likely to be difficult as it will be linked to the 'home move'

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Thanks,

Of course it is a bold assumption that the cabinet capacity will not be expanded. It could be that there are dead ports needing fixing or capacity in the cabinet but it just needs more ports installing. There ought to be plenty of spares becoming avaulable as landlines are ripped out and replaced with fibre.

So many unknowns, all that @DMB201991 can do is keep a daily check on availability of VDSL.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'