cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Straight answer too difficult?!

katewoolley
Dabbler

Straight answer too difficult?!

Moving house, new house not 'listed' on Openreach (it's 400yrs old, but has been empty since Feb) told 3-5 days from Weds 27/4 to survey (no need to be home) to then confirm what speed is available etc. Then 7-14 days to install fibre. OK, no problem.

Then get email 9th May installing phone line, then we'll place the internet order?! eh? that's when I expect internet to be working, not being ordered! Oh and we need to be in 8-1 for this install too.... 

Any clues? I'm out of ideas!

23 REPLIES 23
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: Straight answer too difficult?!

Apologies if you've had the incorrect expectations regarding the broadband side of things. When we placed the order, it had to go to survey to assess the capacity for the line and following this we are given either a review date for external work, an appointment date for a line install, or a date to restart a line they have found at the address. In this case, we've received an appointment for a line to be installed.

Although we are usually advised 3-5 working days for the survey, the survey isn't a date for the line to be active, it is simply to assess the capacity to provide the line.

Following the installation, the 7-14 days leadtime for fibre is along the right lines, but dependant on engineer availability to carry out external work.

I hope this clears things up.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
katewoolley
Dabbler

So, the survey has been done? no contact to tell me this or confirm what service is available.

Our 2-3 weeks is now 4 weeks to get service? again no contact to tell me this... 

I know all ISP's rely on Openreach but the non-existent customer service is all Plusnet!

I'll go elsewhere.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I think there has been some confusion around the survey and the 3-5 working days advised.

It is simply not possible to confirm a time for the service to be activated when a survey is required. The 3-5 working days advised was simply for a response advising either a review date for external work to progress or a date for an installation. Not 3-5 working days for activation.

As it turns out, it looks like a full survey (Where an engineer physically goes out to check things and instead can be done remotely by our suppliers) was not required, therefore the response was much sooner, confirming an appointment. We then passed confirmation of the appointment on to yourself.

I'm sorry to hear you're now wanting to go elsewhere, however this will likely just delay getting your services online.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
katewoolley
Dabbler

I was told 3-5 days for survey to confirm if an engineer was needed or not for internet install which would then be 7-14 days from survey date. 

No confusion, just incorrect info given by your staff and lack of communication = bad service = why stay, no loyalty discount, no incentives, no staff answering phones who have a clue!

katewoolley
Dabbler

BT state they can get internet working by 13th May, £10 a month less too! 

Any response to that?

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

If you do decide to go to BT (Or any other provider for that matter), I wish you all the best.

However I do just want to make sure you've taken everything in to account if you do go ahead with another provider.

In regards to the £10 per month less, is that still on 80Mbps (/76Mbps) fibre? The offers on their website seems to suggest this is £25 a month, whereas their ADSL package is roughly £10 per month cheaper than the price you have been offered from ourselves for Fibre.

You may also be charged a fee to install a telephone line. I believe this has been waived as part of your housemove with ourselves.

If you do decided to go to BT, please also keep in mind you would need to get in touch with us to cancel the Plusnet account, as the new provider won't be taking over our line as it's a change of address.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
katewoolley
Dabbler

Yes, it's their Infinity 1 package, min 50mbps which is all we get on the 76 mbps from you so less 'headline' speed but same likely speed! £49 set up but 12 mth contract not 24mth. 

They also said there IS a line there, already have the number so no fees for that. 

Have already cancelled, as it wasn't a confirmed order until you confirmed speeds, which you've yet to do, we are out of contract at the current property & the line is being taken over on 23/5 I'd already checked we had no cancellation fees due!

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

except for the £30 cease charge at the old property

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@katewoolley wrote:

50mbps which is all we get on the 76 mbps from you so less 'headline' speed but same likely speed! £49 set up but 12 mth contract not 24mth.

The estimates for your new address are 80Mbps-80Mbps. So we'd have to guarantee a minimum access line speed of around 75Mbps. Whereas your current address has a minimum guaranteed access line speed of 54Mbps.

@katewoolley wrote:
They also said there IS a line there, already have the number so no fees for that. 

I do sincerely hope they are checking the correct address, as the ordering system we use shows no lines (And following the survey shows 1 spare pair)

@katewoolley wrote:
Have already cancelled... I'd already checked we had no cancellation fees due!

Although I agree there are no early termination fees, you do not appear to have cancelled your account. There is an in-flight housemove in progress, which is due to complete (Which will start the new contract) prior to the in-flight order to migrate the services at the current property away. If you don't call to cancel the house move orders, they will complete and activate the contract, which will leave you with early termination fees for the full 24 month contract. I do strongly recommend you give our Customer Options Team a call on 0800 013 2632 if you are proceeding with BT at your new address.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
katewoolley
Dabbler

Well I confirmed when I called ref the transfer that there was no £30 fee so will not pay if they try!

I've asked to cancel via the ticket & will do verbally once your customer services call to confirm what speed is available. Until then I do not have a confirmed order for anything as they said nothing was confirmed until post survey when they would contact me again to confirm or cancel! 

52 is about what we get whilst paying for 76, I'll risk paying for 52 with a promise of 50.....

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@katewoolley wrote:

Well I confirmed when I called ref the transfer that there was no £30 fee so will not pay if they try!

It would be waived (As was the line installation fee) as part of the house move deal. As you're no longer going through the house move, it would be applicable.

As per the ticket on the account:

Current Cancellation Costs: £30.00 (these only apply if the house move does not complete and you cancel your account)

katewoolley wrote:

52 is about what we get whilst paying for 76, I'll risk paying for 52 with a promise of 50.....

The speed estimates is lower at your current address.

@katewoolley wrote:

Until then I do not have a confirmed order for anything as they said nothing was confirmed until post survey when they would contact me again to confirm or cancel! 

The ticket actually advises the following:

Your new 24 month contract starts on the day that either your phone or broadband service is activated (whichever happens first)

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
katewoolley
Dabbler

Service is being taken over on 23/5 by another ISP so no cease = no cease charge.

Ticket also states that internet order is to be placed once survey is complete. As I was told I'd be contacted to confirm speed post survey, pre-order and I've yet to be contacted then I've not actually agreed to Plusnet installing a line nor have I agreed to allow you to provide service as you've not told me what service you CAN provide!

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

A cease charge applies when the broadband from a supplier is ceased and whether the line is taken over by another supplier is irrelevant

katewoolley
Dabbler

No, as the line is not being ceased there is no cease fee, as per OFCOM 

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/consultations/addcharges/pes_statement

It's remaining active on BT network so no fees due.