cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service engingeer didn't turn up - had no texts or emails since initial registration

internet_user
Hooked

Service engingeer didn't turn up - had no texts or emails since initial registration

Hello,

Like many folks on here, it seems, I'm having issues getting set up with my internet. 

I booked a day off work to stay at home today, for the installation between 8am and 1pm. Nobody turned up. No text, no email, nothing. I've looked on the plusnet site and can't seem to find any other way to contact them, so trying on here in the hope it gets picked up.

I read elsewhere it may have been possible for the engineer to establish my connection remotely, and I know the previous tenant did have broadband here. But looking at the router, it needs an ethernet connection, as opposed to the phoneline connection already at the property, so does look as though a new physical socket will need to be installed before I can use it. 

The lack of communication is extremely frustrating. I've checked my contact details submitted to Plusnet are correct, and they are: they have my correct email, mobile number and postal address.

Not only have I wasted a day off work today, I've also paid almost a month's subscription to Plusnet without being able to access the internet. And on top of that I'm paying £25 a month to my mobile provider for data, now into the second month in a row, which I wouldn't need to if the broadband was set up.

Hoping I can get this resolved soon, and it doesn't drag on any longer than needed. 

14 REPLIES 14
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: Service engingeer didn't turn up - had no texts or emails since initial registration

Welcome tothe forums, @internet_user . Which product did you order FTTC or Full Fibre?

John
internet_user
Hooked

Re: Service engingeer didn't turn up - had no texts or emails since initial registration

Thank you.

My order was for: 

** Full Fibre 74. Unlimited GB per month. **

I have received the Plusnet Hub Two. 

jab1
Legend

Ah, so the engineer did need to install the ONT. I assume today was a 'confirmed' date, from your original post?

The only advice I can give, as a fellow Community member, is to ring Plusnet tomorrow morning and ask for an explanation - they are open from 0800-2000.

John
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@internet_user wrote:

I read elsewhere it may have been possible for the engineer to establish my connection remotely, and I know the previous tenant did have broadband here. But looking at the router, it needs an ethernet connection, as opposed to the phoneline connection already at the property, so does look as though a new physical socket will need to be installed before I can use it. 

@internet_user 

Take a look at previous closed tickets on your account by following the link pasted below (you'll need to log in).  You should be able to see how your order's been progressing and you might even be able to see whether your connection has been completed.

https://www.plus.net/member-centre/login?p=search&view_by=30days

If, as you say, the previous tenant had an Internet connection then it's quite possible they also had FTTP, and if so, they should have left the ONT (which provides the Ethernet connection to your router) in place.  It isn't necessarily located near the telephone socket so have a look around your premises to see if you can find it (it may well be in a cupboard or some other hidden location).

And don't worry about your already paid subscription, your billing date will start from the installation date.

internet_user
Hooked

The "Welcome to plustnet" email I received on 4th january 2022 said:

An engineer needs to install your Full Fibre service

You've chosen 01-02-2023 for your engineer appointment between 08:00 - 13:00. We'll aim for this, but our suppliers will need to carry out some extra checks on how the necessary cables can be installed to your property. Depending on how long this takes, the requested appointment date may not be available, however we'll monitor your order and email you to keep you updated on its progress and will confirm your engineer date via email as soon as we can.

Since then the only correspondence I've had has been:

• a letter dated 6th January confirming my account details (no mention of installation)
  • an email dated 28th January to let me know the router was due to be delivered (no mention of installation)

I don't know whether the appointment was "confirmed" or not - it seemed to me as though they offered me a choice of dates and I picked one. If that's not a confirmation, why offer those dates in the first place? It's frustrating.

internet_user
Hooked

@RobPN Thanks for the link, Rob.

I couldn't see any closed tickets, all that's really there is:

Your order is currently being processed

See below for next steps.

What happens next?

jab1
Legend

@internet_user That indicates that it was not a 'confirmed' date, although if the Hub was due to be delivered - has it been? - then maybe it was - something is missing here, but I don't quite know what.

John
internet_user
Hooked

Yes, I have got the hub - had it for a few days.

I chose a date for installation. Never heard anything back either way. 

jab1
Legend

OK - the initial message you posted wasn't a confirmed date, as it indicated, but the fact you have received the Hub suggests that that date, or one close to it, was your installation date. I'm afraid your only course of action is to contact PN by phone and ask for an update/explanation.

John
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@jab1  I could be wrong but there may well be an existing ONT in the premises, Plusnet seem to mess up orders for FTTP when this is the case and end up ordering a new connection when a remote activation is all that's needed.

Also the text in message #7 is totally incorrect for a Full Fibre order, probably a standard blurb that all orders put out but only leads to confusion as there is no phone service with Full Fibre

internet_user
Hooked

Thanks for this. There's definitely no ONT box here. 

There's an old, unmarked phone socket, and a newer "BT Openreach" branded phone socket. 

The previous tenant lived here for 5+ years so it could be the case that their broadband connection wasn't recently upgraded to an ONT connection.

Ringing PN now, hope I can get through.

internet_user
Hooked

Actually got through quite quickly on the phone, but the operator was none the wiser. Nothing on the system to indicate what's happening or why I've not been contacted. They have scheduled a callback for tomorrow. 

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@internet_user 

Something else you could try to see if your premises has already had an ONT fitted in the past is to use the address version of the BTW checker at

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

Simply enter your postcode then select your address from the dropdown list presented when you click 'Submit'.

Under the table of results there will be some text which contains further information relevant to the premises, including "ONT exists ... etc ..." if indeed there should be one already present.

csmith94
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 26

Hi @internet_user 

I'm really sorry to see the delay you're facing on the order and that you waited in for an engineer. I've been going through your order today to see what's happened and dropped across an email to explain this in more detail. I've also opened up a ticket on your account. 

Curtis Smith
 Plusnet Help Team