cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red LOS following FTTP switch on

Theadviser21

Red LOS following FTTP switch on

Switching from FTTC to Full Fibre and had Openreach out yesterday to install the ONT box and all was well for about an hour. Then the red light came on.

Rang Plusnet, told not to worry it can take until midnight to switch over. Got the activation email about 9pm and still red light.

Left it until this morning and guess what, still the red light and no internet. Rang Plusnet and earliest engineer is now Monday. So no internet from Friday afternoon until at least Monday. We both work from home.

Can I have our old FTTC copper connection back until this is resolved? No, of course you can't. This is disconnected now and can't be reconnected.

There has to be a better switch over procedure than this. Leave the FTTC connection live until everything is working! Then come back and disconnect. Yes it will take another visit but that's putting customers first.

What I don't get is that that line was working when the Openreach engineer left.

Beginning to wish I hadn't bothered
6 REPLIES 6
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: Red LOS following FTTP switch on

@Theadviser21 Taking your comments in order - 'told it can take until midnight to switch over' - absolute rubbish, there is no 'switchover', the two technologies are totally different and separate.

'rang Plusnet and earliest engineer is now Monday' - true - OpenReach do not do weekend repairs for domestic lines.

Most switches go without a problem, but just sometimes, things go wrong - in your case, something obviously has - sorry.

How long do they leave the FTTC connection live for - as you say, it was working when the engineer left?

John
Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

@Theadviser21 

"We both work from home."

As you are both obviously reliant on an internet connection for your work, do you not have a back-up ready to switch to on Monday morning, (assuming that you have not been connected by then)?

What would you have done previously if your FTTC connection had gone faulty? Normal Service Level Agreements allow for several days to repair a fault.

Do you, (either of you), have a mobile phone? What is the signal like in you area?

Are you aware that most mobile phones can be set up as a WiFi hotspot that may give you an alternative internet connection?

Theadviser21

Sorry, my poor use of words. Didn't mean switchover. Activation.

They do actually work Saturdays, but no free 'slots'.

The FTTC wasn't working when they left, it was the FTTP that was.
Theadviser21

Back up is me not working and wife going into the office. I'll have to stay at home for the engineer.

Never had a technical issue with FTTC before so not had a plan B spring into action.

Our 4G is sketchy. Tried the Hotspot on Friday with mixed success.
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

So, your new service was active when they left - so, it had been 'activated'.

Saturday working, for home users, is not normal, but can occasionally be offered, if engineers are available.

John
Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

@Theadviser21 

"Our 4G is sketchy. Tried the Hotspot on Friday with mixed success."

I don't know what the WiFi range of a mobile phone hotspot is, though I doubt that it as great as that of a purpose designed router or wireless access point.

My EE mobile phone reception within the home is marginal downstairs, (0-1 bar on the phone), but much better upstairs, (3-4 bars). When I had cause to use this solution a few years ago, I had the mobile phone sat on the upstairs bedroom window sill, where the signal is best and I could plug the phone charger in, (hotspot uses a fair bit of power), and I was working on my laptop in the room below.

Are you able to spend a bit of time over the weekend to experiment? First find where in your home gets the best mobile signal and you can plug the charger in, then set it up as a hotspot and see what WiFi signal you get from the phone in your preferred working location.

Of course, this is only practical if you don't need the mobile phone next to you for work! Luckily, I didn't because any work phone calls were already going as VOIP via the laptop - whatever internet connection it was using.