cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with new broadband order, so difficult to sort out

Revesby

Problem with new broadband order, so difficult to sort out

Any suggestions on how to get through to Plusnet appreciated. .......

For the past two years I've had landline and broadband from Plusnet.  Sadly, because I live in a remote area the speed is poor,  just 2.5Mbps. So a couple of weeks back I took out a new contract with Three for 4g broadband.  That was so much quicker (38Mbps), but not unlimited, so after just two weeks' use (just e-mails and browsing) I'd  used 50Gb of data, exceeding my limit. Clearly something wrong, but I could not resolve with Three in Bangalore, so I cancelled the contract. Back to a slow landline then. 

Contacted Plusnet today and took out a new contract - Plusnet have already written to me before Christmas to tell me the old contract was being disconnected (although it was still working yesterday).  Confirmation email received, so I assumed all was well. 

Then I received two emails and two texts telling me the landline phone number I'd given them was incorrect, and for me to call them.  It took 10 minutes to get through on the number they'd given me.  Went through all the questions and was then told I'd be transferred to another department. Waited for a further 26 minutes and eventually got through. I confirmed that the given phone number was correct, and was working yesterday (it may still be working now actually, but I'm away from the house until Sunday). But no, the unhelpful agent assured me the phone line does not exist and that they will arrange for BT to visit to install a new one.  Despite my protestations this is how it was left - and engineer will contact me within 48 hours to arrange a visit.  What a total waste of time, but how what else can I do?

I also noticed my address is slightly wrong and that  they've texted me to say my router was being dispatched, even though I ticked the box to say I didn't need one. 

With no customer services email, and an 'unavailable' on line chat I'm so reluctant to start another 48 minute phone call. 

4 REPLIES 4
SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Re: Problem with new broadband order, so difficult to sort out

Hello @Revesby,

Thanks for getting in touch and we are sorry for the wait times you have experienced, it is something we are working hard on to improve.

I have check the order and can see that we have requested to activate any spare line leading to th property. We haven't specifically requested a new line at this moment, however we are waiting for our supplier to confirm the date the order will complete and it this will require any work by an engineer. It is at this point if a new line install will be needed and we will advise more at that time.

We will keep you updated via your ticket here.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

I use Three (my ADSL is not quite a slow as yours but I work from home so it isn't fast enough). I did have a 100GB/month data SIM, but I have now changed to a AYCE phone SIM - it is cheaper, and is unlimited data unless you get into the TB range. Three confirmed that the SIM will work in routers, and that it is allowed under their terms and conditions. It may be worth having another look at Three, especially if you can use an external router (I use a MikroTik SXT LTE, which gives me a full strength signal).

Revesby

So is the AYCE card provided by Three? And do you pay for that in addition to your Three broadband contract, or just put the SIM intro your router instead of into a phone?

I searched all over for an unlimited 4G broadband deal, to no avail, and have to admit I've never heard of AYCE until I looked it up in response to your post. 

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

Yes, it is a Three AYCE phone SIM, and that is the only Three contract I have now (the 100GB/month data SIM contract ended yesterday). I got the AYCE SIM in the Black Friday sales, so it is just £20pm - the current price for the AYCE SIM only on a 12 month deal is £27pm, which is still pretty good. If you travel abroad you could pop it in a phone and use it in any of Three's Go Roam countries (there is a data limit of 12GB world wide, or 19GB in Europe).

I put the SIM in my MikroTik SXT LTE router, and it just worked - no config changes required at all.

Edit: If you need a static IP address, then Andrew & Arnold's L2TP service for £10pm is a good solution.