cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Previous provider's router down, no router and no internet.

FIXED
ginger135
Fixes: 1

Previous provider's router down, no router and no internet.

My internet went down exactly at midnight today - so I assumed it was the switchover since no amount of restarting that old router (postoffice/shell energy) and troubleshooting at 3am would reconnect me. I am still left without a router from Plusnet despite it meant to have arrived yesterday. Nothing in my emails states the switchover date, no clue where to find it on the website - but it has been more than ten days since order (now 15). 

I really can not afford right now to be without internet as I have to work weekends and my family heavily relies on it for contacting people in other countries. 

Help would be much appreciated, thank you

7 REPLIES 7
Mark63
Rising Star

Re: Previous provider's router down, no router and no internet.

Are you able to/know how to log into the old router ?  If so, just set the PPPoE connection username to

<yourownusername> @plusdsl.net

And the password to your Plusnet account password.

You have absolutely nothing to lose !

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

I am still left without a router from Plusnet despite it meant to have arrived yesterday.

Routers are sent out these days via Royal Mail tracked service. You should have been sent an email with the tracking number when the router was dispatched.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

The detail of the same can be found in your ticket history.  See the link below.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ginger135

Fix

Hello Mark63,

After some fiddling my old ZYXEL router is simply not compatible with Plusnet. Customer service has given me a BT wifi one day pass but the connection was so and so. Since I am still without a router I quickly went out to Curry's and bought TP-LINK Archer VR400 modem and router and followed your steps. I am now gladly connected to internet. Thank you.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Which Zyxel router?

Where from?

How was incompatibility described?

I have used a number of Zyxel routers with Plusnet ... and that was the standard offering for JLP customers.  In its day, far better routers than the Hib Zero and give Hub Ones a good run as well.

ginger135

I mentioned it briefly to the Customer Service adviser and I think they said something on the lines of it maybe not working. I tried the bog standard steps of logging with Plusnet email + password + numerous resets for a few hours but it wasn't taking it - red light on "internet" was not going green. This router is Zyxel vmg3925-b10c from the Post Office (before we got switched to Shell Energy). 

Perhaps it does work with some permutation of settings, but I can't afford at this rate working on the weekend to be disconnected from the internet (and neither am I an expert at this sort of thing), so I got the TP-link one as recommended elsewhere on the community forum and it was as simple as plug, put credentials and play Smiley

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

That is the same model as Plusnet users for its JLP users.