Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet full fibre connected and live but Talk Talk boradband still active

FIXED
Gill360739
Dabbler

Plusnet full fibre connected and live but Talk Talk boradband still active

I had my engineer visit last Thursday (9/3/23) and all appears to be working correctly with the new full fibre and router. However, my old broadband and phone line fromTalk Talk are still active. I have checked my contract summary and it states Plusnet "will contact my current supplier to switch (unless Virgin Media)". When is this likely to happen as I presume I will be paying for both until the old service is terminated? And what about any notice period?

Many thanks for any help.

22 REPLIES 22
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: Plusnet full fibre connected and live but Talk Talk boradband still active

If you had FTTC with TT, you need to cancel directly with them, as this was not a 'take-over of your existing service, which would have automatically have terminated your account with them.

The information you received is a generic letter, written in the days before Full fibre was a general option.

John
Gill360739
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply. That is quite a significant error in the contract summary and is not mentioned in any other communications from Plusnet which is frustrating to say the least. I thought it was "impossible" to have two ISPs at the same time?

jab1
Legend

It has been pointed out to PN that there communication needs amending when a customer moves from a copper service to FTTP.

It is impossible to have two ISPs over the copper network, but Full fibre is a different technology/route and doesn't fall into the same framework.

John
Gill360739
Dabbler

TT also state that the cancellation should be triggered by the new provider or I'm liable for 30 days notice, which means I will have to pay for an additional 30 days despite signing up with PN on 16/1/23! Not quite the money saving I was anticipating at all... and It seems I will struggle to get the £80 reward voucher I was expecting from reading other threads. Not a great start and quite disappointing tbh. 

jab1
Legend

I understand your frustration, but unfortunately, as I said, Full fibre is a a 'new technology', and falls outside the 'Gaining Provider Led' rules when you move to it with a new provider.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@jab1 wrote:

If you had FTTC with TT, you need to cancel directly with them, as this was not a 'take-over of your existing service, which would have automatically have terminated your account with them.

The information you received is a generic letter, written in the days before Full fibre was a general option.

John,

That depends on the choices made by the user when migrating to Plusnet and switching to FTTP concurrently.  If the user indicated that they wish to keep their existing telephone number, then the migration to Plusnet is not "delivered" as a working service take over, but the provision of a new service.  That allows the user to make their own arrangements to transfer the existing PHONE NUMBER to some other provider, thereby terminating also the existing broadband service.

AIUI if the user indicates that they do not want to retain their existing number, then the migration is run as a working service take over concurrent with a switch to FTTP, the existing PHONE NUMBER will be lost and the associated broadband service will also be terminated.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

@Townman Thanks for the clarification The  OP did not indicate if they were keeping the phone number, so I (possibly wrongly) that they were expecting the transfer to PN to cancel their TT contract (under the GPL rules) - which AIUI, it doesn't.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

GPL migration implies a working line takeover (WLT). “I want to keep my existing number AND switch to FTTP” is not a WLT but is a new provide, much like switching from a BT network borne service to Virgin Media (or other cable) supplier … and not taking the existing number with you.

It is the number transfer which terminates to old service.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gill360739
Dabbler

Hi,

I elected not to keep my phone number (fully understanding it would mean I no longer had a land line) and so expected the TT broadband AND phone to be cancelled on completion of the Plusnet activation or very soon after.
jab1
Legend

I may be wrong (again), but the fact that you elected not to take your number with you meant that Plusnet would treat this as a 'new provide' and therefore would not contact TalkTalk - so they would not cancel you phone number or terminate the associated FTTC service.

@Townman Am I correct this time?

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

AIUI if the user states that they do not want to keep their number, the migration / upgrade is treated as a WLT and the old service should have been stopped at the point FTTP was activated. Clearly an authoritative answer can only come from a staff member.

What we cannot discern here is what journey was enacted and what happened therein. The order processes are complex, especially where there might have been cancellations and reorders. The ticket history might give some indication of what happened. Gill see the link below, look at the closed ticket history.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

This matter has been escalated by the Superusers (more than one); we await affirmation that this journey (user does not want to retain existing number) should have resulted in WLT and termination of losing provider’s service.

Gill360739
Dabbler

I’ve had a look and there’s nothing obvious in the tickets about stopping TT service. I did have to change my original engineer visit and required clarification on which of two dates from Openreach was correct, and requested the router be sent out so it would arrive in time - all of which was resolved.
Gill360739
Dabbler

Sorry - not fixed as yet. I haven’t had any further communication since this morning.