Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet didn't tell me they'd cancelled my order

mikemunns
Hooked

Plusnet didn't tell me they'd cancelled my order

OK here goes.

Ordered unlimited fibre early September, got an email on the 15th telling me that my order has been progressed, and my install date was the 29th.

29th comes round, sure enough my previous supplier cuts me off for the 'seemless' switch. I get home from work and find my phone line dead. Cue a 1 hour wait time to PN support (seriously, hire more staff!). Find out my order has been cancelled as fibre is unavailable for me, I'll have to wait up to 7 working days to get snail speed internet back again.

Why didn't PN tell me that they'd cancelled my order? The CS rep told me that there was an email explaining this, but when he checked the time and date, it was from ten minutes before (whilst I was on the phone with him!).

This isn't good enough. I've accepted PNs offer of free ADSL until fibre is available(I assume going to another provider will take longer), but the product should not have been offered in the first place - I wouldn't have cancelled my existing provider had I known I'd still have the same speeds. Had PN informed me of the failed order in good time, I could have stayed with my old provider and kept a network connection. I'm very disappointed, you have not 'done me proud'.
12 REPLIES 12
mikemunns
Hooked

Re: Plusnet didn't tell me they'd cancelled my order

Quick question - the ADSL I'll be getting, is that going to be ADSL 2+?
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

Why did you cancel your service with your previous supplier? The current migration method is to just deal with the gaining supplier and they handle the transfer and advise the loosing company. Should be seamless!

Oh and welcome to the forum!

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
mikemunns
Hooked

OK i see the confusion - my bad. I meant that i wouldn't have taken PN of I'd have known they couldn't deliver and would have stayed with my old provider. The thing is, I didn't cancel my previous supplier. I followed the migration process, and PN arranged the disconnection with my previous supplier. What they failed to do is supply me!

I guess you can probably tell, I'm absolutely livid with the service provided by PN - from the poor handling of my order to the hour wait time to speak to someone. A very poor welcome to Plusnet...
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

And I'm sorry for wading in!  You have done completely the right thing and hopefully you have come to the right place. The staff members have become active again on the forums and I'm confident one will be along shortly to take ownership of your problem Smiley

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
mikemunns
Hooked

not your fault, my bad grammer!  It was late and I was a bit stressed about the whole contract!

I do now have another issue - I can't login to plusnet webmail . . .

mikemunns
Hooked

Good to see absolutely no response from Plusnet here - keep up the sterling work!

I want to know if I'll be getting ADSL+2 or not, and when I'll be connected. Also I want to know why my login doesn't work with webmail.

FFS Plusnet, this is a joke!

PN got there eventually.

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

I'm just taking a look at this for you now.

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Apologies that this case wasn't picked up for you. We did place an order, however it was instantly cancelled due to there being no ports available at your local DSLAM.

From there, the cancelled order should have meant that the cease was cancelled too, I cannot really vouch for why the line continued to be ceased. What I will say is that we should have picked up the order on the 15th from initial cancellation. This is due to individuals rather than systems, so I'll feed back on your behalf.

I've placed an order to switch your phone line back on, which should complete tomorrow. From there, it's an ADSL order which should take around 4 working days.

Matty

mikemunns
Hooked

Thanks Matty,

At last someone who seems to be acting, I am grateful for your swift response.  

Do you know roughly what speed I will likely to be able to achieve on the ADSL connection and if ADSL2+ will be available for my current ADSL2+ router?  When the phone line is switched on, I assume the cease with my previous supplier will have been successful so I guess I won't have any broadband until my Plusnet service is activated?  As for my initial fibre order that failed, I'm aware that I'm getting ADSL for £0p/m until fibre is available, but is this for the duration of the contract?

Do you know if Openreach have notified ISPs when/if more ports will be available at the local DSLAM?  Or is it that I have to wait for someone to move house to free up a port?  The cabinet (as far as DSLchecker reports) shows WBC FTTC Availibility Date = waiting list, does this mean I am on a waiting list for fibre now?

Finally, you say the error is down to individuals rather than systems: this doesn't fill me with confidence in Plusnet.  

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

A few questions here, so I'll try and reply to all of them separately:

Do you know roughly what speed I will likely to be able to achieve on the ADSL connection and if ADSL2+ will be available for my current ADSL2+ router?

It is ADSL2+, though the speeds are unfortunately between 1-3.5Mbps. We'll keep an eye on when fibre is next available and we'd be happy to provision it for you.

When the phone line is switched on, I assume the cease with my previous supplier will have been successful so I guess I won't have any broadband until my Plusnet service is activated?

Yes, that's correct.

As for my initial fibre order that failed, I'm aware that I'm getting ADSL for £0p/m until fibre is available, but is this for the duration of the contract?

Yes, free broadband for 18 months

Do you know if Openreach have notified ISPs when/if more ports will be available at the local DSLAM?  Or is it that I have to wait for someone to move house to free up a port?

We wouldn't get notified specifically, however it's worth keeping an eye on http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ to see when the FTTC status is no longer in "Waiting List" mode. Typically, I believe Openreach wait for a number of connections to be ceased, and then release the ports all at once.

The cabinet (as far as DSLchecker reports) shows WBC FTTC Availibility Date = waiting list, does this mean I am on a waiting list for fibre now?

Rather than yourself, it means that the cabinet is in "Waiting List" status.

Finally, you say the error is down to individuals rather than systems: this doesn't fill me with confidence in Plusnet.  

I appreciate that it doesn't make us look the best, however I do feel it's best to be up front and honest with what has happened.

Matty

mikemunns
Hooked

Matty, you've been most helpful, I really appreciate it.  I have a couple of follow up questions about the dslchecker/Opereach - I know that these are out of your control but as you've been so helpful already you might know the answers:

1. Do I have to keep checking dslchecker, and then contact PN when the cabinet goes available?  If so, I don't hold out much hope, as I've seen my local cabinet go available and waiting list in a matter of hours before - in the time it takes to contact Plusnet I will most likely miss out on any availability.

2. If Openreach wait for a number of connections to be ceased before releasing ports, what stops them from giving BT a heads-up and the BT customers getting in there before any competitors? (I know this isn't anything to do with PN)

Once, again, thanks for all your help, it feels like I'm finally moving towards having a connection again! Smiley

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

1. Do I have to keep checking dslchecker, and then contact PN when the cabinet goes available?  If so, I don't hold out much hope, as I've seen my local cabinet go available and waiting list in a matter of hours before - in the time it takes to contact Plusnet I will most likely miss out on any availability.

If it makes things quicker, feel free to send me a PM/update this thread. Unfortunately this would be the case though.

2. If Openreach wait for a number of connections to be ceased before releasing ports, what stops them from giving BT a heads-up and the BT customers getting in there before any competitors? (I know this isn't anything to do with PN)

This would breach OFCOM's fair competition policy, so Openreach proactively contact BT Retail and no other provider shouldn't happen.